When was the last concert you went in 2017

Posted by: kuma on 05 January 2017

Ok, my scheduled next concert isn't till Feb but I'll start a new thread for 2017!

Posted on: 16 December 2017 by sjust

Yesterday evening, seeing Tingval Trio at Feuerwache Mannheim. While I like the venue for its looks and style, the acoustics can be troublesome, at times. Long and not wide describes it best, and if you sit to far back, you may have more of the room acoustic than is good for the music. We were in the back part of the area. Oh well.

I ecpected an evening with relaxed, almost easy listening Piano trio music (not very familiar with the Tingval catalogue before), but boy was I wrong.

these three chaps rocked the house, and were totally connected to the audience. Played most of the recent (CIrklar) program, plus some older songs (including the great Mustasch), moderated (in very charming German) by Martin Tingval. Nice little anecdotes that wer a great fit to the compositions and their playing.

becore I Chat away, here, let me just leave you with a recommendation to go and see them, when you can. A great evening of music making.

Posted on: 17 December 2017 by Kevin-W

Time to play catchup again!

On 16th October, I travelled up to the Scala at King's Cross for a concert by Melanie di Biasio, an artist I quite liked, but had never seen in concert before. By the time the show was over, I was a real fan. This was one of the best gigs I'd seen all year. Ms Biasio isn't exactly Madonna or Mick Jagger. She stands stock still, concentrating on her singing and flute playing, barely acknowledging the audience - but she is mesmerising. Her slow-burn torch tunes really suit a live setting in an atmospheric venue like the Scala. Great band too - and the big numbers - No Deal, Gold Junkies, Afro Blue, I'm Gonna Leave You, The Flow, Lillies, etc were all present and correct.

Bells doesn't like going to gigs that much but she does like the Afro-Celt Sound System so I treated her to their show with the Dhol Foundation at the fabulous De La Warr Pavilion on November 12. I liked the Dhol Foundation (basically a lot of drums) and quite warmed to the sheer energy of the Afro-Celts, although there was too much Celt (is there any sound more obnoxious than Irish folk music? I've yet to hear it) and not enough Afro for my taste.

https://mainlynorfolk.info/fol...survivor_shvl764.jpg

Posted on: 17 December 2017 by kuma
sjust posted:

Yesterday evening, seeing Tingval Trio at Feuerwache Mannheim. While I like the venue for its looks and style, the acoustics can be troublesome, at times. Long and not wide describes it best, and if you sit to far back, you may have more of the room acoustic than is good for the music. We were in the back part of the area. Oh well.

I see what you mean. It looks very nice from outside. It reminds me of Mandel Hall from University of Chicago. How old is this building?

On the 15th November we all popped over to Nell's Jazz & Blues in West Kensington (which was absolutely rammed) for an outstanding set from Ethiopian jazz legend Mulatu Astaque and his backing band The Heliocentrics. Wonderful stuff.

Posted on: 17 December 2017 by seakayaker

HANDEL'S MESSIAH

Handal's Messiah

Benaroya Hall S. Mark Taper Foundation Auditorium with the Seattle Symphony on Saturday, December 16th.

Posted on: 18 December 2017 by notnaim man
Kevin-W posted:

there was too much Celt (is there any sound more obnoxious than Irish folk music? I've yet to hear it) 

Depends how you define Celt.

Eleanor McAvoy, Mary Black, Mary Coughlan, Christy Moore? Im sure I haved heard all these on Naim playlists at shows.

Far far worse, all those "genres" with titles that have no meaning - house, garage etc

Posted on: 20 December 2017 by Bert Schurink

Normally you would have found an enthusiastic report of my last concert of the year, however back problems prevented me to join.......

Posted on: 20 December 2017 by kuma

Bert,

I am sorry to hear your back problem.

Me, too misssed Deargue's performance back in November when he was at the Orchestra Hall.

Posted on: 23 December 2017 by Kevin-W
notnaim man posted:

Eleanor McAvoy, Mary Black, Mary Coughlan, Christy Moore?

Well i can't stand any of them either.