When was the last concert you went in 2017

Posted by: kuma on 05 January 2017

Ok, my scheduled next concert isn't till Feb but I'll start a new thread for 2017!

Posted on: 27 January 2017 by DenisA

...more

The Necks @ The Jazz Café, Camden - 3 May

Interpol @Alexandra Palace - 1 Sep

Posted on: 27 January 2017 by Nigel 66

Black Sabbath at the Leeds arena. Have wanted to see them for years, and this might have been the last chance(?).

Set was very good, although Ozzy seemed 'old' and I think he struggled a bit to get the crowd going. However, that might also be partly down the crowd being principally made up of males of a 'certain age'.

Nevertheless, glad I went and a great gig.

Nigel

Posted on: 27 January 2017 by dave marshall
Nigel 66 posted:

Black Sabbath at the Leeds arena. Have wanted to see them for years, and this might have been the last chance(?).

Set was very good, although Ozzy seemed 'old' and I think he struggled a bit to get the crowd going. However, that might also be partly down the crowd being principally made up of males of a 'certain age'.

Nevertheless, glad I went and a great gig.

Nigel

Hi Nigel, 

How was the sound for you at Leeds?

I went to see Joe Bonamassa there last year, and the SQ was abysmal, especially annoying as the mixing desk was only a few rows behind where we we sitting. 

I put it down to the in house PA system, and it's kind of put me off returning to the venue, so I'd be pleased to hear your assessment of things.

Glad to read that you enjoyed the gig, (we enjoyed the Bonamassa one, the above complaint notwithstanding). 

Dave.

Posted on: 28 January 2017 by Nigel 66

Hi Dave

The support band SQ wasn't good - although I think that they were just going for volume.

Black Sabbath sounded much better, but still not great. I think that some of that is just the size of the hall, and you may be right about the house PA. It wasn't so bad as to spoil the gig, but certainly could have been much better.

I'm not a huge fan of arena concerts at the best of times, due to the poor views, too many people and SQ.

I live near Newcastle so go to the Sage in Gateshead which has brilliant sound (BB King said at one concert that it was the best sounding venue he'd played), and is a much better size, so maybe I'm a little spoilt in that respect.

Nigel

Posted on: 28 January 2017 by tom539

Yesterday we saw UB40 in cologne/germany - poor sound, but excellent music and musicians 

Posted on: 28 January 2017 by dave marshall
Nigel 66 posted:

Hi Dave

I live near Newcastle so go to the Sage in Gateshead which has brilliant sound (BB King said at one concert that it was the best sounding venue he'd played), and is a much better size, so maybe I'm a little spoilt in that respect.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel, so it wasn't just me then.

I go to a lot of Leeds gigs, and much prefer the likes of the O2 Academy or Beckett University, both with decent PA systems, and though they're both standing venues, if I'm honest that adds something to the whole thing anyway.

Was up at Nercassle for a couple of nights just last week, staying at the Malmaison, right opposite the Minellium Bridge, so will have to keep an eye at future concerts at the Sage.

If you're down our way, Scarborough Open Air Theatre is brilliant. The PA is excellent, and the outdoor aspect is that bit different.

UB 40 in June, ought to be great.

It's all about the music.

Dave.

Posted on: 28 January 2017 by dave marshall
tom539 posted:

Yesterday we saw UB40 in cologne/germany - poor sound, but excellent music and musicians 

Seeing them in June at Scarborough, see comments above regarding the venue, so, from what you say, we're in for a great evening.

Posted on: 28 January 2017 by Iron Cobra

Nigel,

I was at Leeds, totally agree with your comments re: Ozzy. Trying to get a crowd of 50+ 's to jump around is difficult

Thought Rival Sons were rubbish

The sound was ok, Bad Company and Neil Young were better last year

Posted on: 30 January 2017 by Kevin-W

The brilliant Ese & The Vooduu People - think of a Cream-style power trio fronted by a mixture of Erykah Badu, Curtis Mayfield and Nina Simone, with Mitch Mitchell and John Paul Jones providing the rhythm - at the Old Dispensary, a fine venue in Camberwell, South London last Thursday (26th Jan).

Posted on: 31 January 2017 by BigH47

Tuesday 31st Jan, The Hawth, Crawley, Rumours of Fleetwood Mac.

Superb evening of great music, good mix including 6 Peter green era songs. Most effort toward the sound and less to actually looking like FM, although the girls did look similar to Christine and Stevie. 

Posted on: 01 February 2017 by Nick Lees
Black Sabbath - O2 London

Wonderful. My expectations were high and they were easily exceeded - the sound was amazing (like a giant dinosaur stomping around the place), the playing astonishing (I never realised what a phenomenal bassist Geezer was) and even Ozzy's voice (never a thing of grace and splendour) stood up to the hour and fifty minutes well. For such a huge barn, the atmosphere was great.

More importantly they played everything I'd hoped, mostly from the early albums (handy, as Ozzy's voice now suits the lower registers of the 1st album much better): Setlist here

Spectacular finale, with cascades of large black and purple balloons filled the arena (quickly punted up onto the stage) and an amazing purple ticker tape shower as the band closed out with a storming Paranoid (cue the appearance of Geezer's Villa bass).

A couple of very minor grumbles: the two women in front of me who barely looked at the stage, concentrating on taking selfies of each other and bellowing into each others ears (not that I could hear them), and the drum solo - went on far too long even though it was technically amazing (he drummed like Animal).
I was also impressed by the fact that it was the youngest audience I've been in for ages. Really surprised me how many young people were there.

Thought Rival Sons were OKish - I'd have been much more impressed if I'd never heard Led Zep II, Machine Head et al. Could have done with a decent bunch of tunes. Singer had a good pair of pipes though.
Posted on: 04 February 2017 by Kevin-W

A once-in-a-lifetime chance to see the Art Ensemble of Chicago - on Thursday (2nd Feb) night at Cafe Oto. Amazing stuff - and very fierce too:

https://www.cafeoto.co.uk/even...ree-night-residency/

Posted on: 04 February 2017 by Nick Lees

Fairport Convention - Assembly Rooms, Tunbridge Wells

We catch them most years here, as they're just about the only decent band to come to this venue, but this year's 50th tour show was something special. Sally Barker, who'd sung with the briefly reformed Fotheringay a couple of years ago was support and she had a lovely voice - perfect for when she joined the band later for Rising For The Moon and the usual Meet On The Ledge closer.

The band are so tight these days (a dramatic contrast to their early 70s incarnation) especially the harmonies that would be ideal if someone could get them to cover something from American Beauty! This was especially magical for a rare outing of Genesis Hall.

Which brings me to Sandy. When we first got re-acquainted with the modern-day Fairport just over 20 years ago, it was a jarring experience to hear Simon Nichol sing Sandy's songs but now it seems quite natural the hear his baritone carry them so well. Even so I find myself hearing her sing along with him in my head. 

They were clearly having great fun and the music showed it. Great stuff.

Posted on: 04 February 2017 by Big Bill
Gary Shaw posted:

We catch them most years here, as they're just about the only decent band to come to this venue, but this year's 50th tour show was something special. Sally Barker, who'd sung with the briefly reformed Fotheringay a couple of years ago was support and she had a lovely voice - perfect for when she joined the band later for Rising For The Moon and the usual Meet On The Ledge closer.

The band are so tight these days (a dramatic contrast to their early 70s incarnation) especially the harmonies that would be ideal if someone could get them to cover something from American Beauty! This was especially magical for a rare outing of Genesis Hall.

Which brings me to Sandy. When we first got re-acquainted with the modern-day Fairport just over 20 years ago, it was a jarring experience to hear Simon Nichol sing Sandy's songs but now it seems quite natural the hear his baritone carry them so well. Even so I find myself hearing her sing along with him in my head. 

I was at Uni in 1969 and heard them play and Sandy just blew me away with her voice as did the rest of the band.  I have always thought that Richard Thompson is one of the best guitarists around.  ps they were very psychedelic in those days!

Gary Shaw posted:
Black Sabbath - O2 London

Wonderful. My expectations were high and they were easily exceeded - the sound was amazing (like a giant dinosaur stomping around the place), the playing astonishing (I never realised what a phenomenal bassist Geezer was) and even Ozzy's voice (never a thing of grace and splendour) stood up to the hour and fifty minutes well. For such a huge barn, the atmosphere was great.

More importantly they played everything I'd hoped, mostly from the early albums (handy, as Ozzy's voice now suits the lower registers of the 1st album much better): Setlist here

Spectacular finale, with cascades of large black and purple balloons filled the arena (quickly punted up onto the stage) and an amazing purple ticker tape shower as the band closed out with a storming Paranoid (cue the appearance of Geezer's Villa bass).

A couple of very minor grumbles: the two women in front of me who barely looked at the stage, concentrating on taking selfies of each other and bellowing into each others ears (not that I could hear them), and the drum solo - went on far too long even though it was technically amazing (he drummed like Animal).
I was also impressed by the fact that it was the youngest audience I've been in for ages. Really surprised me how many young people were there.

Thought Rival Sons were OKish - I'd have been much more impressed if I'd never heard Led Zep II, Machine Head et al. Could have done with a decent bunch of tunes. Singer had a good pair of pipes though.

Could not agree with you more Gary.  I have to say this was one of the best gigs I have been to.  Yes the audience was a bit restless, in my day we would have been totally out of our heads and needed one of the straight guys to get us back to the flat.  That was the advantage of living on campus rather than out in the sticks somewhere.

Posted on: 04 February 2017 by Nick Lees
Big Bill posted:
Gary Shaw posted:

I was at Uni in 1969 and heard them play and Sandy just blew me away with her voice as did the rest of the band.  I have always thought that Richard Thompson is one of the best guitarists around.  ps they were very psychedelic in those days!

I saw them in '70 just after Full House came out, and just before Thompson left, at The Town & Country Club, Belsize Park. They gave a thoroughly robust set built around Full House during which there was a veritable bucket chain of beer between the bar and the stage. By now completely soused, they proceeded to give a rollicking encore of rock n' roll standards that lasted  over a hour. Magnificent, if rough as a badger's a**e!

Gary Shaw posted:
Big Bill posted:
Gary Shaw posted:

I saw them in '70 just after Full House came out, and just before Thompson left, at The Town & Country Club, Belsize Park. They gave a thoroughly robust set built around Full House during which there was a veritable bucket chain of beer between the bar and the stage. By now completely soused, they proceeded to give a rollicking encore of rock n' roll standards that lasted  over a hour. Magnificent, if rough as a badger's a**e!

Yeah think I know what you mean but never been that close to a badger!

Posted on: 05 February 2017 by lyndon

Black Sabbath 

3 times last week 

There last ever gig last night in Brum - absolutely awesome 

lyndon

Posted on: 05 February 2017 by FangfossFlyer

Lyndon,

Tell us more and more!

What was the band like on and after the last song?

Richard

Posted on: 05 February 2017 by Ian F

Lewis and Leigh, last night, Eden Court theatre, Inverness.  A truly wonderful evening; great songs, beautifully sung and played in an acoustically excellent venue.  The only slight disappointment was that only around 70 folk came out for the experience but at least I was one of them!

Catch these guys if you can (if you like their style of music, that is).

Cheers,

Ian

Posted on: 05 February 2017 by lyndon

Hi Fang

2 gigs at the O2 & then the very last at the NEC

start to finish was a minimum of 110% from Sabbath

good crowd reactions as well, the crowd goes way up past number 10 in Brum

Sabbath in Brum is a combination that's hard to beat.

sound - obviously loud, its a rock concert

tony's guitar hard a real good n dirty sound to it, and he sure knows how to make that thing sing

geezer's bass and the drums were thunderous, the bass was going down to places even my active dbls cant find.

ozzy was great with the crowd and the crowd was great, must say the crowd in Brum were twice as loud and half as many.

hats off also to the drummer tommy from Rob Zombie, played like a man possessed and looked like it too, remember the drummer from the muppets, well you've got the picture.

Did actually feel as though we were part of something for the last one, a bit more special than the other gigs, seen these more times than I can remember.

I can appreciate some of the previous comments regarding sound quality issues at Leeds, ive not been to Leeds but have had similar issues at Ally Pally and as for Brixton that is so terrible I woudnt go back there to see anyone, even Hendrix back from the dead for one night only.

They came to rock and that's exactly what they did !

lyndon

Posted on: 06 February 2017 by BigH47

5th February, Cadagan Hall, Sloane Square.

Richard Thompson solo acoustic. It amazes me that this guy just gets better and better. A truley excellent gig, he was on top form plus. Late added Support from Emily Barker, as singer from sceduled group Wildwood Kin was ill.

Posted on: 09 February 2017 by Muntic0re

Not in 2017 but in 2016

Posted on: 09 February 2017 by Bert Schurink

Looking forward to Trifonov tomorrow. Hope I will be sufficiently recovered to go, as I need to travel ....the combination of Trifonov and Gergiev sounds exciting to me..

Rachmaninow: Die Klavierkonzerte I

Mariinsky Orchester St. Petersburg
Daniil Trifonov, Klavier

Philharmonie
Fr., 10. Februar 2017
20:00 Uhr

Daniil Trifonov, Klavier
Valery Gergiev, Leitung

Auch in Abos Bravissimo, Daniil Trifonov spielt Rachmaninow, Pianissimo

Preise:
€129 | 109 | 99 | 79 | 59 | 39

Alle Preise zzgl.:

1 € Systemgebühr pro online bestelltem Ticket
Einmalig 4 € Versandkosten pro Bestellung.

Rachmaninow: Konzert für Klavier und Orchester Nr. 1 fis-moll op. 1
Rachmaninow: Rhapsodie über ein Thema von Paganini op. 43 für Klavier und Orchester
Rachmaninow: Symphonie Nr. 1 d-moll op. 13

Kein anderer Pianist versetzt die Klassikwelt derart in Aufruhr wie Daniil Trifonov. Der 25-Jährige aus Nischni Nowgorod beehrt München im Februar als Protagonist eines fulminanten, vier Konzertabende umfassenden Rachmaninow-Zyklus. Unter der Leitung von Valery Gergiev präsentieren das Mariinsky Orchester St. Petersburg und die Münchner Philharmoniker sämtliche Klavierkonzerte und Symphonien des Spätromantikers. Den Münchnern sind diese Konzertreihen – wie Schostakowitschs Symphonien (2011/12) oder der Strawinsky-Zyklus (2013/14) – noch in lebendiger Erinnerung. „Die ausverkaufte Philharmonie stand Kopf“, berichtete die Abendzeitung über den Abend der St. Petersburger mit Trifonovs unvergleichlicher Interpretation von Strawinskys Konzert für Bläser und Klavier. Nun also Rachmaninow: Beginnend mit der 1. Symphonie über die triumphalen Klavierkonzerte bis zu den Symphonischen Tänzen aus dem Jahr 1940, in denen epische Melodiebögen und dramatische Klangballung zum letzten rauschenden Fest laden. Als der Komponist den jungen Horowitz mit seinem Werk brillieren hörte, soll er übrigens Erleichterung gezeigt haben: Nun müsse er es endlich nicht mehr selbst spielen. Was hätte er wohl über den genialen Trifonov gesagt? Die Kritik weltweit ist sich einig: Hier herrscht emotionale Seelenverwandtschaft. Trifonov ist der legitime Erbe, wenn es heißt, Oktaven und Akkorde explodieren zu lassen und zugleich mit filigraner Leichtigkeit tief in das schimmernde Geheimnis der Werke einzutauchen. Für den Pianisten selbst war Rachmaninow immer „eine Brücke, die mich mit Russland verbunden hat.“

Daniil Trifonov, Klavier
Valery Gergiev, Leitung

Posted on: 10 February 2017 by Bert Schurink

The Trifonov concert was really great. He is so intense in his playing. I especially like the Rhapsodie over a theme of Paganini. But also the 1st piano concert was very well played.

it was also the first time I saw Gergiev live and it was not a dissapointed. I will see that I get some photos published later...