When was the last concert you went in 2017

Posted by: kuma on 05 January 2017

Ok, my scheduled next concert isn't till Feb but I'll start a new thread for 2017!

Posted on: 28 February 2017 by Bruce Woodhouse

Last night at a sold out Brudenell Social Club in Leeds, The Handsome Family.

Just fantastic; funny, eccentric and producing a fine noise. First time seen them, will seek them out again. Perfect venue for their brand of gothic country and relaxed wit.

Bruce

Posted on: 28 February 2017 by Kevin-W

18th February - a packed house (they were jumping up and down all the way back to the garden) at the Railway Tavern in Tulse Hill for Ese & The Vooduu People's power soul.

Posted on: 02 March 2017 by nicnaim

Trash Talk supported by Youth Man at Think Tank in Newcastle.  Had to watch my pint, there were a few youths in the circle pit with flailing arms.  Most enjoyable

Posted on: 04 March 2017 by Alfa4life

Not so much a concert but one of those intimate gigs in a restaurant bar - Lust Glaze where we saw the delightful Suzie Mac... one to watch out for in the future.

Sang a mixture of covers and own material, a perfect way to spend a Friday evening.

Posted on: 05 March 2017 by Bert Schurink

Looking forward to Rafal Blechacz in Munich...with the following program..

Bach: Duetti Nr. 1 e-moll, Nr. 2 F-Dur, Nr. 3 G-Dur und Nr. 4 a-moll BWV 802-805 (Clavier-Übung III)
Beethoven: Rondo G-Dur op. 51/2
Beethoven: Sonate Nr. 3 C-Dur op. 2/3
Chopin: Sonate Nr. 2 b-moll op. 35
Chopin: Nocturne fis-moll op. 48/2
Chopin: Fantasie f-moll op. 49

Wer in den Feuilletons den Namen Rafal Blechacz liest, der wird immer auch an die Sensation beim renommierten Warschauer Chopin-Wettbewerb 2005 erinnert. Damals hatte der unprätentiöse Pole nicht nur den Ersten Preis gewonnen, sondern gleich noch vier Sonderpreise für die beste Mazurka, die beste Polonaise, die beste Sonate und das beste Konzert mit nach Hause genommen. Für den Pianisten folgten ein Exklusivvertrag bei der Deutschen Grammophon und das erste Album, das schon einen Tag nach Verkaufsstart in Deutschland Goldstatus erlangte. „Es scheint, dass Chopin selbst zum Publikum spricht“, hieß es in der Zeit. Fesselnd, mit einem genauen Gespür für Schattierungen und Verläufe, erzählt Blechacz von der zerbrechlichen Eleganz, Entschlossenheit und ernsten Melancholie des Romantikers. Vier weitere CDs sind seither erschienen, auf denen Blechaczs flexible Gestaltung sich durch Werke von Mozart, Beethoven bis Szymanowski kongenial fortspinnt. Mit den Duetti aus Bachs Clavier-Übung setzt der Pole im Frühjahr einen weiteren Kontrapunkt zu „seinem“ Chopin. Zuvor wartet auf den mit dem hochdotierten „Gilmore Artist Award“ gekrönten Künstler allerdings noch eine ganz andere Herausforderung: seine Promotion in Musikphilosophie.

Rafal Blechacz, Klavier

Posted on: 05 March 2017 by Bert Schurink

The concert was a real pleasure. Rafal played with a great feel for the music. The best recital of this year so far... Bach heavenly, Beethoven solid, Chopin delicious...

Posted on: 05 March 2017 by Kevin-W

22nd February: At the famous Half Moon in Putney (where The Who, Stones and Kate Bush played back in the day):

photo 16797307_10154427504815658_580853005767787142_o_zpsaanrxpnn.jpg

Posted on: 05 March 2017 by robin_dj

Drive-By Truckers at the Concorde2 Brighton. Great show

Posted on: 07 March 2017 by Slim68

Andre Rieu yesterday at the SSE Wembly Arena, This was a birthday gift for my Son when he turned 16.

We had a wonderful time and Rieu is a great entertainer.

It does make me chuckle that it is my Son who listens to Classical Music and tells me to turn down my noise!! :-)

Posted on: 07 March 2017 by kevin J Carden

Andre Rieu: nice shout Slim. Coincidentally, I discovered Mr Rieu only last week when my 90 year-old, recently widowered Father-in-law played me a DVD (live in Melbourne) that clearly gave him a huge amount of pleasure. My FIL has no other interest in Classical Music.

As an elitist Classical Snob, it would be easy for me to deride Rieu's populist (and presumably extremely lucrative) approach to the genre, but it struck me that the millions who hugely enjoy attending his concerts and multi-millions who enjoy his DVD's and CD's are getting highly entertaining access to a form of music they may not otherwise bother to explore. He brings it to a whole new audience and does it so well. Genius!

Posted on: 08 March 2017 by Slim68

Hi Kevin,

I think you sum him up rather well, he is a talented musician no doubt. But it is the accessibility he gives that maybe the true gift. The age dispertion at his show was a real surprise to me and everyone enjoyed it. The "Pop" of classical music, maybe, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Posted on: 09 March 2017 by kuma

Salonen/CSO + Leila Josefowicz

Program:

Debussy Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun
John Adams Scheherazade.2
Stravinsky The Rite of Spring

John Adam's Schehrazade was written for Josefowicz. As many modern classical music, is a bit tough to take and I felt that it went along too long but Josefowicz played wonderfully with many bold and spontaneous moves. This was the first time I got to listen to this score and was a Chicago premier.  I actually enjoyed its slow movement but afterwards, I felt like one of the audience sitting at the premier for the Mahler's 1st. ( confused with a lot of dense scoring coming at you )

Here's what composer & violinist has to say about it.

Salonen's Le sacre did not change much in terms of the direction from what he did back in the 80s. Obviously, it's much larger in scale. Both reading have rather prominent drums and percussion but live performance it was at times distracting as if the beat was slightly out of tune. I don't mind the loud per se, but quiet passeges need to be equally compelling, or if not better, to counter balance. Audience loved it but I still prefer Stravinsky's much *svelte*, quick-footed bare bone version.

Posted on: 09 March 2017 by Bert Schurink
Slim68 posted:

Hi Kevin,

I think you sum him up rather well, he is a talented musician no doubt. But it is the accessibility he gives that maybe the true gift. The age dispertion at his show was a real surprise to me and everyone enjoyed it. The "Pop" of classical music, maybe, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I agree with you. While I am not so fond to see his concerts during Christmas on tv while staying at my mothers..., he has the gift of attracting people to this kind of music and he opens up the window for a lot of people to explore classical music further. So for that I really would praise him.

Posted on: 09 March 2017 by Haim Ronen
kuma posted:

Salonen/CSO + Leila Josefowicz

Program:

Debussy Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun
John Adams Scheherazade.2
Stravinsky The Rite of Spring

Kuma,

Thanks for the invitation, sorry I couldn't join. Nice to learn that John Adams was acceptable. Last time we saw him at Northwestern University it felt like attending a mechanical engineering class.

Posted on: 09 March 2017 by kuma

Haim,

For some reasons, CSO is pushing Adam's work this year. I have another one coming up tomorrow. :/ ( it could be that Salonen's doing but I found his own composition is more than *acceptable* )
At least noone walked out in the middle of the concert like Messiaen's Turangalila.

I hope you feel better!

Posted on: 11 March 2017 by kuma

Salonen/CSO & Yo-Yo Ma

Program:

John Adams Slonimsky's Earbox
Salonen Cello Concerto [World Premiere, CSO Co-commission]
Stravinsky Petrushka

The concert opened with another Adams' piece but this time, more digestible 15 min. score. I felt it was much more put together than his over long Scheherazade 2.0. He said so much with a fewer notes, do I dare say it was even enjoyable!

Second piece was Salonen's own Cello Concerto written for Ma. This was a World Premiere performance in a packed house. Here is a fascinating conversation between the two before the piece was completed.

Salonen's own compositions, are often very organic and *cosmic* in nature. Floaty, dense and rich, at times a bit Debussy-esque. The score starts off with somewhere in galaxy and slowly zooms into the earth and getting closer and closer to the player himself. Ma of course, executed it beautifully and skilfully. Wonderful rapport between them were apparent and audience gave them a warm cheer afterwards. What I loved about them so much is that they are super talented yet so down to earth and not taking themselves so seriously! ( unlike Adams! )

2nd half of program continued on with Stravinsky's Petrushka.  As his Le Sacre a few days earlier, rhythmically it was a touch slower and again, quieter passages not compelling enough that eerie supernatural feeling ( ghost of Petrushka at the final scene )  was completely missing.

Yep. I still prefer composer's own ( '60s version. )

Posted on: 12 March 2017 by Timmo1341

Andy Fairweather-Lowe and The Lowriders last night at the The Guildhall, St Ives. Best £25 I've spent in many a month. They really were excellent! Terrific musicians, good songs (including all the old Amen Corner favourites) and a genuinely enthusiastic, if not quite sellout, audience. I last saw him in Brentwood, Essex in 1968 - I wouldn't have recognised him, but the voice hadn't changed a bit!

Posted on: 12 March 2017 by Haim Ronen

IMG_0807

A live broadcast of Folk Stage at the WFMT studios featuring Ronny Cox, a film actor and folk singer mostly know for his role in the movie 'Deliverance':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFutge4xn3w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60K_SKpNNLw

Posted on: 12 March 2017 by Kevin-W

Ese & The Vooduu People, Live @ Proud Camden, 25th February 2017

The very wonderful Ese & The Vooduu People won over the notoriously hard-to-please Proud Camden crowd at the Camden Rocks Fest on 25th February with a short but very, very powerful set.

Posted on: 12 March 2017 by matt podniesinski

Sarah Jarosz here.

Posted on: 12 March 2017 by kuma

Amazing talent at such a young age. Glad she's got the Grammy finally this year.

Posted on: 12 March 2017 by matt podniesinski

Very talented indeed.  I have been fortunate enough to have had the chance to see her three times over the last 4 or 5 years.

Posted on: 13 March 2017 by ChrisH

Roberto Fonseca, Warwick Arts Centre, Saturday 11th March.

Stunning performance from an amazing group of musicians (3 in the brass section, 1 bass/double bass, drummer , bongo player, & Roberto on piano/keyboards), so talented.

The music had me and my wife grinning from start to finish, if anyone is going to see him on this current tour you wont be disappointed. The only slightly sad thing to see was that the Hall was only about half full - I can only put it down to the location (surely would have been better attended in Birmingham, for example) and poor promotion. Despite that, it didn't hold them back.

Posted on: 13 March 2017 by ChrisH
Kevin-W posted:

Hi Kevin, I looked them up, sound interesting. Any plans for them to play outside of London in the coming months do you know?

cheers, Chris

Posted on: 13 March 2017 by Kevin-W
ChrisH posted:
Kevin-W posted:

Hi Kevin, I looked them up, sound interesting. Any plans for them to play outside of London in the coming months do you know?

cheers, Chris

Hi Chris - thanks for the kind words. I am their co-manager, so we are looking at getting them to play outside of the capital, yes! So far it's been a stealth operation: build up a following in South London (where we are all based), to the North, then the West etc.

In order to make it economic to work outside of London, we will have to do a tour. At the moment we are looking at a South Coast itinerary (Kent/Sussex/Hampshire/Dorset). If that works, who knows?

Where do you live?