When was the last concert you went in 2017

Posted by: kuma on 05 January 2017

Ok, my scheduled next concert isn't till Feb but I'll start a new thread for 2017!

Posted on: 13 March 2017 by ChrisH
Kevin-W posted

Where do you live?

:-) I saw your name when I was trawling t'internet. Yes, it must be tough building up a following outside of local areas, I wish the band every success.

I live in Warwickshire, so Brum would be the nearest where there is a good selection of venues. I'll keep my eye out on social media!

Posted on: 13 March 2017 by ChrisH
ChrisH posted:
Kevin-W posted

Where do you live?

:-) I saw your name when I was trawling t'internet. Yes, it must be tough building up a following outside of local areas, I wish the band every success.

PS. Silver Spoon, great track!

Posted on: 15 March 2017 by hungryhalibut

We went to see the Chiaroscuro Quartet at the Turner Sims in Southampton University yesterday. They played excerpts from Bach's Art of Fugue and Schubert's string quartets 9 and 14. It's a small hall with wonderful acoustics and of course it was unamplified. We were only five rows back and about thirty feet from the players, and it was fascinating to see their interaction as they kept this complex music in sync. Really wonderful. 

Posted on: 15 March 2017 by kuma
Hungryhalibut posted:

it was fascinating to see their interaction as they kept this complex music in sync. Really wonderful. 

I've get the true meaning of 'in tune' from listening to a live chamber music. Split second timing does count to keep the tune together. I love sitting close so that I can *feel* their vibe.

Interesting stuff.

Posted on: 16 March 2017 by TerryP

Just returned from a short break to London to see and hear John McLaughlin and the magnificent 4th Dimension at Ronnie Scotts Jazz club. At 75yrs, John has not lost any of his magic and as the forerunner of Jazz Fusion, together with Miles Davis (whom he accompanied on some of his classics; In A Slient Way, Bitches Brew..), he has not lost any of his virtuoso skills. The event was to celebrate 20years of Jazzwise and also to complete Johns' European tour. In terms of the performance, he simply blew the audience away, only to be matched by his band (Gary Husband, Etienne Mbappe and Ranjit Barot). John did imply his touring days maybe coming to a close, which is a pity but given his outstanding contribution to Jazz and guitar, this will go down as one of those 'I was there concerts'.

Posted on: 16 March 2017 by hungryhalibut
kuma posted:
Hungryhalibut posted:

it was fascinating to see their interaction as they kept this complex music in sync. Really wonderful. 

I've get the true meaning of 'in tune' from listening to a live chamber music. Split second timing does count to keep the tune together. I love sitting close so that I can *feel* their vibe.

Interesting stuff.

I've been to many jazz concerts where you can sit close and watch what they are up to, but the coordination of the quartet was at another level altogether. I've only seen a few string quartets and this has made me keen to see more. The speed of some of the pieces was phenomenal, especially for the cello which needs a lot of movement up and down the neck. Another 'fun' part was seeing Alina Ibragimova end up with her hair all over the place so that she could hardly see by the end of a fast movement. The only disappointment was that she didn't say 'hello Southampton, are you having a good time - I can't hear you'. Just imagine that at a chamber concert.... It's just so lovely to sit so close to some of the best performers in the world, who are so modest and seem so delighted when they get a really big round of applause. 

Posted on: 16 March 2017 by Nick Lees
Kevin-W posted:
ChrisH posted:
Kevin-W posted:

Hi Kevin, I looked them up, sound interesting. Any plans for them to play outside of London in the coming months do you know?

cheers, Chris

Hi Chris - thanks for the kind words. I am their co-manager, so we are looking at getting them to play outside of the capital, yes! So far it's been a stealth operation: build up a following in South London (where we are all based), to the North, then the West etc.

In order to make it economic to work outside of London, we will have to do a tour. At the moment we are looking at a South Coast itinerary (Kent/Sussex/Hampshire/Dorset). If that works, who knows?

Where do you live?

They sound promising (please buy the drummer another drum though). Like Fairytale. Try The Forum in Tunbridge Wells. Great little venue for new bands. I'd pay to see them!

Posted on: 16 March 2017 by TOBYJUG

Looking forward to Emeli Sande at the Brixton Academy on Tuesday next week. Know this venue inside out. Should sound great.

Posted on: 16 March 2017 by Mulberry

I would have loved to see New Model Army this Sunday. Unfortunately (for me) the concert is already sold out .

Posted on: 16 March 2017 by TOBYJUG

Also Jack Savoretti just down the road at the Cambridge Corn Exchange this Saturday night.

Posted on: 16 March 2017 by kuma
Hungryhalibut posted:

I've been to many jazz concerts where you can sit close and watch what they are up to, but the coordination of the quartet was at another level altogether. I've only seen a few string quartets and this has made me keen to see more. The speed of some of the pieces was phenomenal, especially for the cello which needs a lot of movement up and down the neck. Another 'fun' part was seeing Alina Ibragimova end up with her hair all over the place so that she could hardly see by the end of a fast movement. The only disappointment was that she didn't say 'hello Southampton, are you having a good time - I can't hear you'. Just imagine that at a chamber concert.... It's just so lovely to sit so close to some of the best performers in the world, who are so modest and seem so delighted when they get a really big round of applause. 

Jazz quartet is 'nother genre that I *get* the importance of timing and pleasure to hear how each musicians plays off one another.

I hope to catch lovely Alina's performance some day.

Posted on: 17 March 2017 by Massimo Bertola
Haim Ronen posted:

Kuma,

Thanks for the invitation, sorry I couldn't join. Nice to learn that John Adams was acceptable. Last time we saw him at Northwestern University it felt like attending a mechanical engineering class.

Haim,

so-called minimalist composers can often result totally unmotivated or misunderstood – we come from music that's been dramaturgically structured (according to a mix of natural laws and cortical neuronal conditions) for 350 years or so. After all, if Beethoven is so great at using and manipulating ideas and at developing them into something resembling the unfolding of a 'drama', with a linear path of expansions and relaxations and a culminating point, what right have those guys to keep us listening to the same three or four notes constantly repeated with minimal time shifts, like if imposing us a state of trance we were not looking for? Won't it be simply that they have no ideas?

So I invite you to listen to this simple piano piece of music, Liszt's The gondola funebre, in John Adams' orchestration, to appreciate his fine use of colours and his understanding of late Romanticism's strongly characterized moods. I caught it on radio by chance, and was struck by it. We are slaves to categories.

Best

Max

Posted on: 17 March 2017 by Massimo Bertola
Haim Ronen posted:

IMG_0807

A live broadcast of Folk Stage at the WFMT studios featuring Ronny Cox, a film actor and folk singer mostly know for his role in the movie 'Deliverance':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFutge4xn3w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60K_SKpNNLw

I love this picture.

M

Posted on: 18 March 2017 by al9315

Saw Georgie Fame locally last night, with his sons James (d), Tristan (g)

He is I believe 73, and we all enjoyed the gig

Posted on: 18 March 2017 by nicnaim

The Stranglers supported by the magnificent Ruts DC at the O2 Academy in Newcastle last Thursday 

Posted on: 19 March 2017 by clive

1st gig of the year the Slowcoaches 

2nd Ed Dowie, the firestations and Kid canaveral

next Depeche Mode 

Posted on: 19 March 2017 by Dave***t

For once, I actually went to a concert that would make sense to folk on this forum the other night at Symphony Hall in Birmingham.

Rachmaninov's Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini, with Steve Hough at the piano, and an undercard of Bartok's Miraculous Mandarin and Shostakovich's 5th.

Strangely, it was only decent for me, rather than spectacular as I'd hoped. I found the piano work a bit metronomic, including the quick Chopin encore. It's a style choice rather than a fault at that level of playing, of course, but it made even THAT well known Rachmaninov variation sound somehow perfunctory, comparatively speaking. And the average age of the audience (at a guess, probably 70-odd) made itself apparent quite comedically but also quite ruinously when a whole movement of the Shostakovich was accompanied by someone's hearing aid feedback.

Still, glad to have seen it, and I'm sure others probably thought it was amazing. And I'm more convinced than ever that Cameron's humming after his resignation was the opening to the Shostakovich piece, albeit inadvertently.

Posted on: 20 March 2017 by kuma

Dave,

Who was the dirigent?

Posted on: 20 March 2017 by Dave***t

It was Robert Trevino, conducting the CBSO. Not a name I've heard before, but then I'm no aficionado.

Posted on: 20 March 2017 by kuma

Thanks.

I am not familiar with Trevino's work either. How are they getting on with life after Nelsons?
Have you attended a concert with Mirga?

Posted on: 21 March 2017 by Dave***t

I don't go often enough to really comment on any differences in performance, but the atmosphere among the players looked positive for whatever that's worth. And the popularity hasn't waned among more regular visitors, judging by the large number of people there. So hopefully that's a good sign.

And no, but I'm considering going to see her/their rendition of Rachmaninov's 3rd symphony next month. Apparently some of the undercard (which I'm not familiar with) is very much her choice/direction, so it'll be an interesting insight.

Posted on: 21 March 2017 by Kevin-W

4th March @The Barbican, I went to see This Is Not This Heat, rescheduled from last June after Charles Haywood broke his leg.

We essentially got four sets

1. Hayward solo, doing some new numbers and a couple of Camberwell Now tunes;

2. A 1987 avante-gard film by John Smith called The Black Tower;

3. A solo set of a kind of urban gamelan by Charles Bullen;

4. Then the meat of the night, a 90-minute performance of old This Heat bangers and improvisations, performed by Bullen, Haywood, Chris Cutler, Thurston Moore, Alexis Taylor, Jenny Moore, John Edwards, Luisa Gerstein
Daniel O’Sullivan, James Sedwards, Frank Byng, Alex Ward, Laura Groves, and Merlin Nova.

While I missed the claustrophobia of their now-legendary Café Oto residency of last year, the expanded line-up certainly did add a lot to the music, even if THuston Moore did look a bit lost and suprfuous at times. All in all, though, a fantatic evening - half of my Facebook friends were there, it seems, and I only bumped into one of them!

http://thenewestablishment.co....eat-review-barbican/

11th March 2017, at the Queens Arms in Battersea - Rachel D'Arcy (AKA @UkeBitch). A very singular talent, she is a quirky singer-songwriter who plays an amplified ukelele:

Rachel D'Arcy Performing Live

Monday, 20th March at The Academy in Oxford. My 25th time of seeing the mighty Frapp, and the first warm-up gig of the Silver Eye tour. What a show - a perfect mix of new material and old favourites.  Judging by the new stuff - "Moon in Your Mouth" particularly - the new album will be an absolute belter. The band was in stunning form, and Alison's voice was in tiptop condition. Her costume - a baggy trouser suit with huge puff sleeves - was rather fetching too. Roll on next Monday for the big one - a show at London's Roundhouse!

Posted on: 21 March 2017 by yeti42

What do you think of the venu?