When was the last concert you went in 2017

Posted by: kuma on 05 January 2017

Ok, my scheduled next concert isn't till Feb but I'll start a new thread for 2017!

Posted on: 22 March 2017 by Kevin-W

Seemed quite nice Yeti, smaller than I expected, good long bar but I only got there just before showtime and had to shoot off again straight after to get back to London; and to be honest, I was rather more excited about seeing Goldfrapp than I was about being in the 02 Academy Oxford! 

Posted on: 26 March 2017 by Kevin-W

Numidie is a tiny, cramped basement beneath a bistro in Crystal Palace, South London. It may be small, but it has a great party atmosphere. Ese & The Vooduu people played two sets here on 18th March. This time the band was much looser, with an emphasis on improv and jamming rather that tightly-rehearsed songs. They even performed an off-the-cuff version of Hendrix' "Manic Depression" - Ese forgot (or didn't know) the words but it went down so well that they've now added it to the setlist.

Here they are at Numidie (note thumbs-up from fan):

Ese & The Vooduu People at Numidie

The next day we traipsed over to the badlands of West London (Notting Hill) to play at the Portobello Gold, a super venue with a great crowd and friendly staff. This turned out to be one of the best gigs the band (Ese & The Vooduu People) have ever played - they even got a bonus from the booker, she enjoyed them so much!

Ese & The Vooduu People

Ese & The Vooduu People - "Alien" live at The Portobello Gold, Notting Hill London W11 on 19th March 2017 from Quadrafon Music Industries on Vimeo.

21st March - to the Barbican, to see Sunn0))) (supported by the Icelandic cellist/singer Hildur Guðnadóttir, who later joined the band) as part of the Covergence Festival. They were very, very loud (I had to put my earplugs in after the first hour), and "singer" Attila's histrionics got on one's nerves towards the end, but this was a very engaging example of aural brutality. You could actually feel the pressure waves created by the music.

Review from the Indy, here: http://www.independent.co.uk/a...l-2017-a7642901.html

Posted on: 26 March 2017 by Dave***t
Kevin-W posted:

21st March - to the Barbican, to see Sunn0))) (supported by the Icelandic cellist/singer Hildur Guðnadóttir, who later joined the band) as part of the Covergence Festival. They were very, very loud (I had to put my earplugs in after the first hour), and "singer" Attila's histrionics got on one's nerves towards the end, but this was a very engaging example of aural brutality. You could actually feel the pressure waves created by the music.

Review from the Indy, here: http://www.independent.co.uk/a...l-2017-a7642901.html

Nice to see something so atypical crop up here. They're comparatively mainstream for what they sound like/their backgrounds, but still pretty left field by the standards of this house.

Quite an experience seeing them, and Attila really is that weird a lot of the time, which is cool in its own way.

Posted on: 26 March 2017 by kuma
Dave***t posted:

And no, but I'm considering going to see her/their rendition of Rachmaninov's 3rd symphony next month.

Dave,

Do report back!

I just checked their upcoming events and they have some nice programming !

Mahler's 5th and Haydn's Cello Concerto with Jean-Guihen Queyras is mighty interesting.

Mahler's 5th & Haydn Cello Concerto

Posted on: 26 March 2017 by Bert Schurink

I should have seen Lang Lang in recital this evening, however he is sick. I hope they will present an acceptable alternative date...

Posted on: 26 March 2017 by kuma

Haitink is also a no show this year due to a stomach flu.

I hope he'll be ok. ( he just turned 88 years old ) I was looking forward to his concert since he won't be coning back to the Orchestra Hall next season.

Posted on: 27 March 2017 by ted_p

PUCCINI

LA BOHÈME

Going to see this opera in the Royal Concert hall in Glasgow tonight with some friends, looking forward to it because this will be my first opera concert in a very long time.

Edward

Posted on: 27 March 2017 by Morton
ted_p posted:

PUCCINI

LA BOHÈME

Going to see this opera in the Royal Concert hall in Glasgow tonight with some friends, looking forward to it because this will be my first opera concert in a very long time.

Edward

Saw this a couple of weeks ago at Malvern Festival Theatre, very enjoyable.

Posted on: 27 March 2017 by Pev

Saw Bill Kirchen (see separate thread) in Bristol last night - thought I'd report here rather than there to save preaching to the converted. It was everything I hoped for and more - an intimate venue, great atmosphere and a wide range of music - country/blues /rock and roll - brilliantly played by a first class band who were clearly enjoying it as much as the audience. Surprises of the night were Austin De Lone being a good substitute for Commander Cody and a juxtapostion of an Iggy and the Stooges excerpt with a Roy Orbison quote! The Kirchen/De Lone guitar/keyboard interplay was the best I've seen since Garcia/Hornsby in 1990 - what more can I say....

Except they are playing every night this week in various south of England venues. see a legend for a pittance! 

Posted on: 27 March 2017 by Kevin-W
Dave***t posted:
Kevin-W posted:

Nice to see something so atypical crop up here. They're comparatively mainstream for what they sound like/their backgrounds, but still pretty left field by the standards of this house.

Quite an experience seeing them, and Attila really is that weird a lot of the time, which is cool in its own way.

Dave, you're talking to someone who saw Throbbing Gristle when he was 17. Everything seems pretty mainstream after that...

Posted on: 28 March 2017 by davidsee

Laura Marling in Norwich. Now. Waiting for her to come on. 

Posted on: 29 March 2017 by kuma

Daniil Trifonov

PROGRAM
Schumann
Kinderszenen
Schumann Toccata, Op. 7
Schumann Kreisleriana
Shostakovich  24 Preludes and Fugues:
No. 4 in E Minor
No. 7 in A Major
No. 2 in A Minor
No. 5 in D Major
No. 24 in D Minor
Stravinsky Three Movements from Petrushka

[Encore]
Medtner
Alla Reminiscenza from Forgotten Melodies
Prokofiev
Gavotte from Cinderella

Long awaited Trifonov recital. For slower numbers like Kinderszenen and Kreislariana, I kept thinking of Horowitz and Kempff's rendition. There are just too many good interpretations of those scores and hard to surpass what's been done already. Shosty's Preludes also sounded rather monotonous in some  parts and didn't think he surpassed Nikolayeva's who was a dedicatee of the score.

What he excelled was more exciting numbers like Toccata Op.7 and Petrushka. Unbelievable technical skills, yet he remained lyrical and musical. The last time I got to hear Petrushka on piano was Buniatishvili at Carnegie which she was banging keys so hard, I got a headache afterwards. Not so with Trifonov. He was able to preserve score's inherent playfulness whilst gliding through the keyboards with various impressions and colours. A lot more fluid than his earlier reading back in Dec. at Carnegie Hall: It was interesting comparison to the orchestral version I got to listen to a few weeks earlier and I feel this simpler piano score is better served than Salonen's lead footed version. He certainly thrilled and dazzled the packed house. He will be returning to the Ochestra Hall next season with Rachmaninov No.2.

I also enjoyed his choice of Encores. ( Medtner & Prokofiev )

Trifonov is busy touring so give him a listen, especially his Petrushka.

Posted on: 29 March 2017 by Bert Schurink

This evening concert of Helene Grimaud. Not sure what to expect as I haven't been a huge fan of her, so let's see...

Klavierabend

Hélène Grimaud

»Wassermusik«: Werke von Schubert, Liszt, Debussy, Ravel u.a.
Brahms, Klaviersonate Nr. 2 fis-Moll op. 2

Posted on: 30 March 2017 by Bert Schurink
Bert Schurink posted:

This evening concert of Helene Grimaud. Not sure what to expect as I haven't been a huge fan of her, so let's see...

Klavierabend

Hélène Grimaud

»Wassermusik«: Werke von Schubert, Liszt, Debussy, Ravel u.a.
Brahms, Klaviersonate Nr. 2 fis-Moll op. 2

The concert was a great pleasure. 1at part was the dreamy water pieces which came across very gentle and dreamy...., 2nd part Brah,s and some encores also very good. So a much better concert as I honestly expected......the older visitors seemed to be challenged by the first part.....

Posted on: 30 March 2017 by kuma

I am glad she's well and touring again.

Posted on: 31 March 2017 by Kevin-W

22nd March: Went to see Manuel Gottsching at The Barbican. The guitarist spent the first hour performing his groundbreaking piece E2-E4 on his own. I never thought I'd ever see this live, but it was wonderful, with MG's guitar playing especially outstanding. It was all very beautiful.

The second half - almost two hours - was spent reshaping four old Ash Ra Tempel jams. It was heavenly - sounded like Pink Floyd circa 1969 with a bit of Zappa thrown in.

(NB - Ariel Pink had to pull out, so MG performed with Ambarchi and Chamberlain as a trio).

Posted on: 01 April 2017 by Kevin-W

Ese & The Vooduu People at Play

23rd March: A benefit for a very worthwhile cause, the Save Central Hill Community campaign: Ese & The Vooduu People  at The Gipsy Hill Tavern, London SE19. Raised a couple of hundred quid, and a good gig (plus an invite back) to boot.

https://www.savecentralhill.org.uk/

Posted on: 01 April 2017 by Kevin-W

The big one: the mighty Frapp at the Roundhouse in London (27th March).

Bands always seem to up the ante when they play at this wonderful venue, and this is no exception. A week on from the Oxford warm-up gig, this was a huge improvement. There was a dazzling light and film (presumably sourced from Alison's photographs) show, and over the huge PA, the electro-dominated set (there was nothing from either Tales of Us or Seventh Tree) sounded incredibly powerful, with "Utopia", "Slide In", "Moon In Your Mouth" and "Become The One" being standouts in a top-notch set.

This wasn't up there with 2014's incredible Albert Hall show but of the 26 Goldfrapp gigs I have been to, this was one of the best, with a lively audience adding to the occasion.

After the show Bex and I went for a drink and made two new Frapp friends, Richard and Amanda from Nottingham - we're meetingh up for the return match at Somerset House in July!

Posted on: 01 April 2017 by Dave***t

Last night I went to see One Love, the Bob Marley Musical at the Rep in Birmingham. It was absolutely brilliant.

As a musical, I've scant idea if it was a good example of the genre. As a piece of theatre, it worked fine IMO. Hardly Shakespeare, but ably and enthusiastically played by a good cast, and with at least an attempt to contextualise everything historically and show a (realistic? I'm not qualified to judge) sense of character development. There were also attempts to give a narrative dimension to the songs, which was a nice touch.

As music, stunning. Mitchell Brunings sounded absolutely uncanny as Marley (much more so than in his nonetheless great YouTube rendition of Redemption Song), the low key backing band were superb, especially the drummer I thought, and the other singers and dancers were great. And it all ended blissfully as the gig that hardly anyone in the audience ever got to go to, set up as the One Love Kingston concert. As uplifting a live music experience as I can remember.

Posted on: 01 April 2017 by Stevee_S
Kevin-W posted:

Ese & The Vooduu People at Play

23rd March: A benefit for a very worthwhile cause, the Save Central Hill Community campaign: Ese & The Vooduu People  at The Gipsy Hill Tavern, London SE19. Raised a couple of hundred quid, and a good gig (plus an invite back) to boot.

https://www.savecentralhill.org.uk/

Had a few beers there in my time and sad to read about the residents plight, shocking behaviour by the notorious Lambeth council. Petition signed.

Posted on: 02 April 2017 by Eoink

I love the Matthew Passion, and live it never fails to move me. Held in a large 18th/19th Century church, excellent playing my the orchetra(s), good singing, the young counter-tenor Feargal Mostyn-William s is one name I'l be looking out for, he could be something very special in a few years. If my tears be unavailing was glorious. 

They invited the audience to sing with 5 of the chorales which gave it a nice liturgical feeling. Well worth the 90 minutes drive each way.

Posted on: 03 April 2017 by Holmes

I saw Nadia Reid at Blue Smoke in Christchurch Saturday 1st April. She was great and the venue sounded good too. I had to buy her album and since she'd been wearing a flower garland, I had to have her sign her forehead!  

She's playing in the UK later this month and I recommend checking her out. Mellifluous folky sound. 

Posted on: 03 April 2017 by AndrewG

Rhiannon Giddens at The Junction in Cambridge last Friday.  Wide range of styles, fantastic voice - one of the best concerts I've ever attended. I strongly recommend her latest album, Freedom Highway, released about a month ago.