Naim Nait 2

Posted by: Daft Apeth on 13 August 2017

Hi, blown away by this little amplifier...

Has a bounce, an energy which is hugely infectious. Really makes me want to stay listening waaay beyond my bedtime 

Can forum advise closest sound to this in a more powerful amp with remote control facility for volume? This thing is amazing! Has a love of life/music I've not heard before 

Just wish it went louder., or is that the Naim upgrade spiral I've heard of.. ?

Posted on: 13 August 2017 by joerand

The Nait 5SI is an obvious choice from Naim's current offerings. Has a remote, good energy and bounce, and at 60 W should go louder with better command. That said, there is a certain magic to the Nait 2 many here wouldn't trade for a modern Naim integrated. The Nait 3 had a remote option but the Nait 2 seems more beloved for its pure musicality and involvement.

Posted on: 14 August 2017 by Christopher_M
Daft Apeth posted:

Just wish it went louder., ....

Consider more sensitive speakers. You don't say what you are using.

Posted on: 14 August 2017 by Richard Dane

When the NAIT5i was being developed at the factory one of the benchmarks for the final tuning was the NAIT2, a late Olive version being kept under lock and key for just such purposes. 

It was fascinating to compare the two. The 5i certainly had more muscle and could play louder before the sound started to fall apart, and did capture a good deal of the NAIT spirit, and it just got better with the development to italic status. But, within its power limits, the NAIT2 could engage in a way that was very rare and hard to match. 

Posted on: 14 August 2017 by J.N.

Richard has nailed it. The original NAIT and the '2' have a unique sound which is replicated by no other later generation NAIT. If the '2' produces enough steam for your loudspeakers and requirements, think very carefully before changing it for a later model NAIT.

Service history? Is it working to spec?

John.

Posted on: 14 August 2017 by Gaius: Tangerine

The Nait 2 is a star!!   I have a lovely olive example, when it makes an appearance into the system a rye grin returns!

Regards,

Mark

Posted on: 14 August 2017 by james n

I've always had a fascination with the old Naits - there is something i still prize in a simple little half width box unsullied by the need for extra upgrades. I remember years ago the fine sounds being made by a friends system (Marantz CD52SE, Nait 2 (olive) and Rega Ela speakers). I went straight to a 42.5 / 140 my local dealer had for sale so passed on the Nait option at the time 

I'm not sure whether Photobucket will still allow it, but here's my CB NAIT 2 together with my early NAIT.  The NAIT 2 had a total rebuild at the factory a few years back and the NAIT has now also just returned from a service there.  The 2 does great service in the bedroom with a pair of n-Sats.

Posted on: 14 August 2017 by james n

Very nice Richard. What system do you use the Nait 1 with ?

James, the NAIT I would swap around in the bedroom system with the NAIT 2, but it's still packaged up from its trip to Salisbury and I haven't yet listened to it since the service.

Posted on: 14 August 2017 by Ardbeg10y

I'm going to perform a trend analysis to prove a relation between topics on this forum regarding the Nait 2 and prices on fleabay.

Posted on: 14 August 2017 by ChrisSU
Ardbeg10y posted:

I'm going to perform a trend analysis to prove a relation between topics on this forum regarding the Nait 2 and prices on fleabay.

The early Naits sound dreadful, don't buy one!   

Posted on: 14 August 2017 by leni v

I find the olive250/72 the high end equivalent to olive nait2.l have both in constant use from New.(1990)

Posted on: 14 August 2017 by northpole

I also have held onto my Nait 2 which I bought new when I lived in Belfast in the late 1980's.  I still remember auditioning amps in Lyric Hi-Fi, others sounding more lively, with this and that, but the little Nait kept pulling me back with its pure musicality.  Mine now resides in the bedroom and note to self - I really must arrange for it to be returned to Naim for a very long overdue refresh.  It certainly doesn't have a lot of power, but well worth hunting down speakers which are easy to drive before looking to change the amp!

Peter

Posted on: 14 August 2017 by Chris Dolan

My baby 

Posted on: 15 August 2017 by badlyread
Daft Apeth posted:

Hi, blown away by this little amplifier...

Has a bounce, an energy which is hugely infectious. Really makes me want to stay listening waaay beyond my bedtime 

Can forum advise closest sound to this in a more powerful amp with remote control facility for volume? This thing is amazing! Has a love of life/music I've not heard before 

Just wish it went louder., or is that the Naim upgrade spiral I've heard of.. ?

Having had 3 Nait 2s (2 CBs) over the years I have recently sold my Nait 2. I previously had a UQ1 and then a SU and then a UQ2 (six was important) but was getting frustrated by the limited choices/problems I was having regarding streaming... And then came along AURALiC's Aries Mini and I returned to a Nait 2. I was very happy for a few years but I had niggles (as all people do in this hobby/pursuit). Wanted Naim to produce a clever shoebox amplifier sans streamer but with a little more power.

And so it was that I returned to my second make of amp after Quad, Exposure. The Exposure XM5. This is what I wanted from Naim. Nevermind.

Naimless.

typo -  * size was important

Posted on: 15 August 2017 by james n
badlyread posted:

Cute little amp. I see they are doing pre and power in those size boxes too 

Sounds rather good as well.....

Has a remote too....

Posted on: 15 August 2017 by analogmusic
Richard Dane posted:

When the NAIT5i was being developed at the factory one of the benchmarks for the final tuning was the NAIT2, a late Olive version being kept under lock and key for just such purposes. 

It was fascinating to compare the two. The 5i certainly had more muscle and could play louder before the sound started to fall apart, and did capture a good deal of the NAIT spirit, and it just got better with the development to italic status. But, within its power limits, the NAIT2 could engage in a way that was very rare and hard to match. 

Ok - so what did it take to beat a Nait 2 in terms of that engagement...... ? Hope the separates got there?

Posted on: 15 August 2017 by Richard Dane

Analog, there are never absolutes or black and whites in this game and to say one amp "beats" another is just not possible outside of a particular context -  the separates are ahead of the NAITs in just about any quantifiable hifi way - bandwidth, dynamics, detail, scale, you name it.. - but engagement is slightly different than just your usual hifi stuff.  I'm useless at describing this kind of thing without taking notes and then, what's the point?  

All I can say is that the NAIT and NAIT 2 are lovely things and really enjoyable to listen to within their limits.  They look really cool too, they can still be serviced and repaired by their maker, and they're built to last a lifetime.  It is no wonder that they are desirable and perhaps covetable, even after 40+ years.  You should try one.  You might rather like it.

Posted on: 15 August 2017 by james n
Richard Dane posted:

All I can say is that the NAIT and NAIT 2 are lovely things and really enjoyable to listen to within their limits.  They look really cool too, they can still be serviced and repaired by their maker, and they're built to last a lifetime.  It is no wonder that they are desirable and perhaps covetable, even after 40+ years.  You should try one.  You might rather like it.

Didn't really need one but always wanted one. A mint, serviced example came up recently so here she is...

Posted on: 15 August 2017 by Richard Dane

Very nice James. "Didn't really need one but always wanted one" pretty much sums up the appeal for many.

Posted on: 15 August 2017 by Christopher_M

Very nice, what are your plans for your Nait, James?

Posted on: 15 August 2017 by Darran H

Naits

Posted on: 15 August 2017 by cat345

I take my little Nait out for a snif of fresh air every year at harvest time