What do you think of my rack?

Posted by: boom on 30 November 2017

Hi all,

Hi all

Back in year 2000 when I bought my first naim system (3.5, 92r/180, hicap) I purchased the Apollo S5 rack to sit it on (see photo). Well fast track to today I now have the NDX, XPS-DR, 282, hicap, 200, soon to be upgrading to 250-Dr, SC-DR.

my question is, how do these old rack perform? Sorry for the silly question but it is all I have ever had and know so haven’t ever experienced rack SQ differences. I do appreciate that spending some half decent wedge on a rack I could have something a hell of  a lot better but if this rack is not too crude I would probably stick with it.

i wont do a demo with the dealer as I am not interested in paying RRP for something like Fraim but do agree with you all how stunning it looks. Occasionally here in NZ they do come up SH so might consider it however after trailing through all the treads am a little concerned of it leaning out the sound as I do like a warm presentation to my music.

anyway, any thoughts on my Apollo S5 would be greatly appreciated 

Posted on: 30 November 2017 by boom
Hungryhalibut posted:

With the quality of your system, I’d forget trying to tweak the rack. Just sell it and get something really good. 

Thanks HH, really appreciate your comments, unfortunately down under we don't see SH ones too often, might have to tweak my one for now as who knows how long it could be until I come across a good opportunity. 

Bob the Builder posted:

I would say the op's Soundstyle is a very good rack with excellent decoupling of shelves and of the rack itself and if he isn't in a posistion to or doesn't at this time want to spend the best part of £1,000 on a rack I think the added isolation of some extra glass or granite shelves could make a worthwile difference and this type of experimenting should be encouraged so that we may all aquire the shared wisdom.

Bob You give me great confidence in my old Apollo, maybe there is some hope yet for her. Base and 4 shelve Fraim is closer to the 2000 pound mark here down under hence it being a big call, especially after plucking the money tree dry from my recent and up coming up grades. I will certainly share any wisdom I come gain whichever way I go. 

Allante93 posted:
boom posted:
Allante93 posted:

Silly Question, I think not, you'd be surprised how many members have walked in your shoes.

Take myself:

New to Naim, going on my third year.

All pre-loved Naim Gear:

Cdx2>282>HCDR>3 x (250.2)>Briks

What were they resting on?

Sound Factory Tri-pod, Nice Racks, all I ever had, for over 34 decades.

What did I Buy?

Fraimlite.

The mind is a funny, and powerful organ.

The only problem, we access less than 15%, I hear!

Equivalent Black Box Upgrade, or has the mind been taken over by the excessive hype?

Who knows?

But I agree, The Fraim is stunning, it hi-lights the Black Boxes.

Enjoy Your Music, The Why!

Allante93!

PS. Nice System, Boom.

Haha, thanks Allante, how would you describe to SQ change for you on your rack upgrade? sound like no regrets on that one.

Well Boom, I think I have a different take than most. 

Yes, no regrets, but I bought my 4 Tier from the Netherlands, and my three tier from Canada.

Pre-loved Netherlands, Canada great exchange rate, Brand new Naim Packaging.

My take, the improvements really show up collectively. 

But if my mind wasn't playing tricks,  the Fraimlite upgrade was close to the upgrade from Bi-Amp to Tri-Amp.

But here's the key, collectively the System is purring!

Next upgrade, Active Briks!

Enjoy Your Music!

Allante93!

PS. That's what we do.

Pay thousands for subtle differences, that aren't detectable by the Norm.

But remember, we aren't the Norm!

Hahaha thanks, for pointing out that we are not the norm. I was starting to go mad thinking I was the only one shelling out a fortune on these subtle differences I can not hear, but one installed and seeing the large sum of money gone from my account, all of a sudden its amazing!

Luckily the wife has no idea of the cost and its a bonus all the boxes are black as she never notices the upgrades. I just upgraded to the 282 from the 202 and she hasn't even noticed the extra nob and buttons! 

Posted on: 01 December 2017 by boom
Hungryhalibut posted:

I would not add glass to a steel rack. Putting it on Isobkue is a different matter and works really well. You’d be wise to go for two racks with a system of the size you have, to separate brawn and brains. As well as Fraim you could consider Fraim Lite, Hutter, Isoblue or Quadraspire SVT bamboo. 

HH, I’ve been looking at the Isoblue website and going to get a quote to ship to NZ. Is there any difference SQ wise between the 60 series and the special branch

cheers

Boom

Posted on: 01 December 2017 by hungryhalibut

I’m not sure, as I’ve never owned the special branch. It’s a while since I had Isoblue - I sold mine to Christopher M. I currently - for the last three years - use Quadraspire SVT, It’s a really good rack, especially in the bamboo, and you may like to get comparative prices. The standard 140mm legs give more separation than Isoblue. You can get extensions for the Isoblue, but I think they look a bit crap. 

Posted on: 01 December 2017 by ChrisSU
boom posted:
Hungryhalibut posted:

I would not add glass to a steel rack. Putting it on Isobkue is a different matter and works really well. You’d be wise to go for two racks with a system of the size you have, to separate brawn and brains. As well as Fraim you could consider Fraim Lite, Hutter, Isoblue or Quadraspire SVT bamboo. 

HH, I’ve been looking at the Isoblue website and going to get a quote to ship to NZ. Is there any difference SQ wise between the 60 series and the special branch

The only difference is that the Special Branch shelves use a higher quality veneer, so it looks nicer. The guy I bought mine from had, at the suggestion of his dealer, bought a single SB shelf for the top, where it is quite noticeable, and regular 60 series for the lower shelves.

Posted on: 01 December 2017 by boom

Awesome, great information, thanks guys I’ll have a look into it. Cheers

Posted on: 02 December 2017 by Adam Meredith
boom posted:

Posted on: 02 December 2017 by Gianluigi Mazzorana
Adam Meredith posted:
boom posted:

Oh my........