Time for a change??

Posted by: Polarbear on 09 March 2018

Blimey, it seems a while since I have posted here looking for an upgrade but ten years fly by 

So whats changed, I am sitting here listening to Steve Wilson's latest thinking, yeah, its good but maybe it could be better.  So where to start?  I am not looking to change the front end, the CD555, Roksan TMS and NAT 01 IMO can't be bettered, well not this side of £50K!  The 552/500 to me, still powers the system admirably. So maybe its time to look at changing the speakers. Those that know me, will know I went on a long search for speakers many years ago and I thought I was thinking my speakers would last a lifetime so why the itchy paws. Well I am sure things move on and I am starting to hear better  

Therefore advice gentlemen please, its not something I am going to rush into, us Polar bears have all the time in the world 

Posted on: 09 March 2018 by hungryhalibut

Search for a speaker, maybe. My jaw has hit the floor. 

Posted on: 09 March 2018 by nigelb

My experience in no way matches yours so I feel a little uncomfortable offering advice on speakers.

All I will say is that I have heard one of the new kids on the block on more than one occasion, namely the new Kudos Titans, specially 505s, 606s, and 707s, the latter in both passive and active modes with Naim amplification. Very impressive and well worth consideration I would have thought.

Posted on: 09 March 2018 by Sloop John B
Alba1320 posted:

When was the system last 'maintained' (everything disconnected/reconnected, pots turned, cables re-dressed etc.)?

and what colour are your curtains?

.sjb

Posted on: 09 March 2018 by Polarbear
Hungryhalibut posted:

Search for a speaker, maybe. My jaw has hit the floor. 

Lol, I wonder how many remember that thread 

Posted on: 09 March 2018 by dave marshall

I've listened to Kudos Titan 707's and was very impressed, so I would certainly add them to your shortlist ..................... not forgetting Neat XL10's, of course .................... but then you knew I'd suggest these! 

nigelb posted:

My experience in no way matches yours so I feel a little uncomfortable offering advice on speakers.

All I will say is that I have heard one of the new kids on the block on more than one occasion, namely the new Kudos Titans, specially 505s, 606s, and 707s, the latter in both passive and active modes with Naim amplification. Very impressive and well worth consideration I would have thought.

Hi Nigel,

i have heard the new Kudos a few times now and I must admit that they do appeal. The new ones have moved on from the originals I had here a few years ago.

Alba1320 posted:

When was the system last 'maintained' (everything disconnected/reconnected, pots turned, cables re-dressed etc.)?

Not that long ago, it’s not a mattter os a quick brush and tidy up, I am looking at a change of direction.

Sloop John B posted:
Alba1320 posted:

and what colour are your curtains?

.sjb

Grey, but what’s that got to do with anything lol

dave marshall posted:

I've listened to Kudos Titan 707's and was very impressed, so I would certainly add them to your shortlist ..................... not forgetting Neat XL10's, of course .................... but then you knew I'd suggest these! 

I knew you would suggest Neats Dave, been there, had a fantastic pair of MF 9’s but you knew that ????

Posted on: 09 March 2018 by Tabby cat

Hi PB,

Good to see you back roaming in these parts again

Can the guys at ART do anything to tweak them further - crossover - drivers ?

Don't know what to suggest Loudspeaker wise apart from Wilson - Magico - Audionote - Focal ?

Has the 552 - 500 been DR'd ?

Maybe listen to some Vitus or Audionote   

Wishing you and Kaz a fine weekend

Cheers Ian  

Posted on: 09 March 2018 by Dave J

In my room, Titan 606s. My end game speaker. In your room, 707s or 808s, whichever you prefer. 

Tabby cat posted:

Hi PB,

Good to see you back roaming in these parts again

Can the guys at ART do anything to tweak them further - crossover - drivers ?

Don't know what to suggest Loudspeaker wise apart from Wilson - Magico - Audionote - Focal ?

Has the 552 - 500 been DR'd ?

Maybe listen to some Vitus or Audionote   

Wishing you and Kaz a fine weekend

Cheers Ian  

Hello Ian,

i think the ART’s have been through enough changes, what I don’t want to take them too far.

i don’t think Focals will suit, I still haven’t heard a pair I would consider. The same with Wilson’s, they would be a backward step. Magico’s appeal but don’t know much about them.

ATC’s mat be worth revisiting.

I have never been impressed with Vitus or Audionote.

The 552 and 500’s are originals, they haven’t been DR’d but will be at some point,

all the best

PB

Dave J posted:

In my room, Titan 606s. My end game speaker. In your room, 707s or 808s, whichever you prefer. 

I think there will be a high possibility Kudos 707’s and 808’s will be auditioned  

Posted on: 09 March 2018 by elkman70

If you have the space, which I think you do if I recall from your last speaker thread, then the 707s are well worth a look. They work well with my 552/ 300 so I imagine them to be mega with a 500.

Posted on: 09 March 2018 by Don Atkinson
Polarbear posted:

Blimey, it seems a while since I have posted here looking for an upgrade but ten years fly by 

So whats changed, I am sitting here listening to Steve Wilson's latest thinking, yeah, its good but maybe it could be better.  So where to start?  I am not looking to change the front end, the CD555, Roksan TMS and NAT 01 IMO can't be bettered, well not this side of £50K!  The 552/500 to me, still powers the system admirably. So maybe its time to look at changing the speakers. Those that know me, will know I went on a long search for speakers many years ago and I thought I was thinking my speakers would last a lifetime so why the itchy paws. Well I am sure things move on and I am starting to hear better  

Therefore advice gentlemen please, its not something I am going to rush into, us Polar bears have all the time in the world 

Errrr.......... Polar bears are living on borrowed time these (global warming) days..........   I should make haste before the sun shines !

Posted on: 09 March 2018 by Darke Bear
Polarbear posted:

The 552 and 500’s are originals, they haven’t been DR’d but will be at some point,

Although you have targeted speakers for change, I think money spent on DR upgrades, first on the 500 will give you a far bigger improvement than spent elsewhere in ways that may surprise. It will not be money poorly spent and will serve well with any speaker changes ahead.

So just a suggestion to sequence the DR upgrade first. I'd go 500 then 552 - I know 'source first' normally rules, but IMO the improvement to the 500 is larger and the 552 after will give you a better upgrade experience.

Also I take it you have re-torqued the driver of the speakers in the last few years, as sometimes that feeling of wanting a change is the gradual imperceptible month to month degradation of focus and resolution that drivers working a bit loose does.

This is not to suggest you may do better with new speakers, but at least bottom-out your baseline on where you are now and consider how to get the most upgrade for money spent. 

One bear to another. 

DB.

elkman70 posted:

If you have the space, which I think you do if I recall from your last speaker thread, then the 707s are well worth a look. They work well with my 552/ 300 so I imagine them to be mega with a 500.

Oh yes, I have plenty of space but I would like more, if money was no object I would go for a bigger listening room. The ART's could do with a good four foot extra on each size, then they would really shine. One of the reasons I want to get away from the ART's is that I want to get away from the two ten inch bass units. The bass units can become overpowering if not tamed!

Don Atkinson posted:
Polarbear posted:

Errrr.......... Polar bears are living on borrowed time these (global warming) days..........   I should make haste before the sun shines !

Don't worry Don, I will be here for some time to come  

Darke Bear posted:
Polarbear posted:

Although you have targeted speakers for change, I think money spent on DR upgrades, first on the 500 will give you a far bigger improvement than spent elsewhere in ways that may surprise. It will not be money poorly spent and will serve well with any speaker changes ahead.

So just a suggestion to sequence the DR upgrade first. I'd go 500 then 552 - I know 'source first' normally rules, but IMO the improvement to the 500 is larger and the 552 after will give you a better upgrade experience.

Also I take it you have re-torqued the driver of the speakers in the last few years, as sometimes that feeling of wanting a change is the gradual imperceptible month to month degradation of focus and resolution that drivers working a bit loose does.

This is not to suggest you may do better with new speakers, but at least bottom-out your baseline on where you are now and consider how to get the most upgrade for money spent. 

One bear to another. 

DB.

Excellent advice as always DB.  The drive units get checked on a regular basis. Experience suggests regular checking as the bolts become loose quite quickly.

I want to change the speakers first as I want to set a bench mark. I know where I am with the 552/500 and will look at improving the amps after I have changed the speakers.  Thats the same for speaker cable before anyone starts going down that route.

Kind regards

PB

Posted on: 09 March 2018 by Jonn

Just get a pair of s/h DBLs and use the money you save on DRing the 552/500. Job done.

Posted on: 09 March 2018 by Minh Nguyen

PolarBear, I've listened to the expression of many 'fine' and 'acclaimed' speakers but my personal choice is Wilson Benesch. In my humble experience they are able to capture the essence of a fairy in a bottle. Minh

Posted on: 09 March 2018 by TOBYJUG

Fyne Audio. A new brand in town. The F1 10 looks tasty and has had some interest. 

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tb_-psDqmqY/Woc7dnFObvI/AAAAAAAAf5s/Lbv9WL3S2EYOuSfAPLUrbklLtwFI4xsNwCLcBGAs/s1600/F1-10.jpg

They are working on a smaller F1 8 (8 inch) and a larger one.   Could be worth keeping an eye and an ear out for.   Comes from one of the main designers for recent tannoy and hails not far from the ART guys.

Posted on: 09 March 2018 by nigelb
TOBYJUG posted:

Fyne Audio. A new brand in town. The F1 10 looks tasty and has had some interest. 

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tb_-psDqmqY/Woc7dnFObvI/AAAAAAAAf5s/Lbv9WL3S2EYOuSfAPLUrbklLtwFI4xsNwCLcBGAs/s1600/F1-10.jpg

They are working on a smaller F1 8 (8 inch) and a larger one.   Could be worth keeping an eye and an ear out for.   Comes from one of the main designers for recent tannoy and hails not far from the ART guys.

I heard these at the Bristol show and they sounded mighty Fyne! The cabinetry is superb but they remind me of a Minion.

nigelb posted:
TOBYJUG posted:

I heard these at the Bristol show and they sounded mighty Fyne! The cabinetry is superb but they remind me of a Minion.

Yes.  

And sorry,  but i think you meant one of these..

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/cc/e5/d4/cce5d4f66f10385e85d5630f1f08c316.jpg

http://www.hifido.co.jp/photo/11/898/89851/a.jpg

Would give me and anyone else nightmares