Time for a change??

Posted by: Polarbear on 09 March 2018

Blimey, it seems a while since I have posted here looking for an upgrade but ten years fly by 

So whats changed, I am sitting here listening to Steve Wilson's latest thinking, yeah, its good but maybe it could be better.  So where to start?  I am not looking to change the front end, the CD555, Roksan TMS and NAT 01 IMO can't be bettered, well not this side of £50K!  The 552/500 to me, still powers the system admirably. So maybe its time to look at changing the speakers. Those that know me, will know I went on a long search for speakers many years ago and I thought I was thinking my speakers would last a lifetime so why the itchy paws. Well I am sure things move on and I am starting to hear better  

Therefore advice gentlemen please, its not something I am going to rush into, us Polar bears have all the time in the world 

Posted on: 20 May 2018 by Polarbear
Max_B posted:
Polarbear posted: 

Interesting thought Max   However with no speakers we have no music, no TV and no films. Everything goes through the system, hence why it would be very quiet lol.

However, you do have a point, has anyone noticed how much better your system sounds when you haven't heard it for a while??

Then why not having everything going through the TV for a while? 

(Yes, I have!)

M.

Because I haven't got a TV, I have a monitor with no speakers. What am I going to listen to?

dave marshall posted:

What news on your speaker quest, Mr. Bear? 

All in limbo at the moment Dave, I am still babysitting Peters demo set of Titan 808's until he can find time to come and collect them.

glevethan posted:

Hello Nigel

Silent Mounts

Amazing VFM.  I asked Peter about them several years ago and he was not that familiar with them at the time - even though Chord was the distributor.  He came across the pond with two sets (one afterwards went on to Mark (Varyat)).

I can still remember both of us looking at each other and scratching our heads with what we were hearing after only 30 seconds of music.

If you look back through the archives on his website you will see a post from Tom detailing our experience with them.  Mandatory imho.

Hope you are doing well and good luck with your speaker journey.

Best

Gregg

Hello Gregg,

All good here thanks, I hope life is good with you.

Its a little like hearing the effects of an empty shelf in your Fraim then, you know it shouldn't make sense but it sounds better. 

It is going to be something I try when I have a new pair of speakers bedded in.

Kind regards

Nigel

Posted on: 20 May 2018 by tonym

I gave Silentmounts a try under my DBLs, but they weren't successful - the inverted  Naim Chips I was using previously were better in this case. The Silentmounts muddled the sound. I was also a bit disturbed by the price for what amounted to simple bits of turned metal, much like Chips. 

Posted on: 20 May 2018 by kevin J Carden
Polarbear posted:
dave marshall posted:

All in limbo at the moment Dave, I am still babysitting Peters demo set of Titan 808's until he can find time to come and collect them.

So that’s why Peter can’t demo 808’s to me on Thursday ! I guess I’ll have to slum it with 606 and 707’s instead...

Posted on: 20 May 2018 by northpole

I'm wondering if the practical solution may be for Peter to order a new set of demo speakers for the shop and cut a deal with PB on the loaners - might save a lot of lugging big boxes around!!

Peter

kevin J Carden posted:
Polarbear posted:
dave marshall posted:

So that’s why Peter can’t demo 808’s to me on Thursday ! I guess I’ll have to slum it with 606 and 707’s instead...

I have a funny feeling Peter is busy on Thursday Kevin 

northpole posted:

I'm wondering if the practical solution may be for Peter to order a new set of demo speakers for the shop and cut a deal with PB on the loaners - might save a lot of lugging big boxes around!!

Peter

No, Peter will be picking up his demo speakers soon. 

Posted on: 20 May 2018 by kevin J Carden
Polarbear posted:
kevin J Carden posted:
Polarbear posted:
dave marshall posted:

I see! I’m with Peter for LP12 demos on Wednesday so I guess it’ll be Phil or Wayne for speakers on Thursday.  Just booking somewhere to stay on weds night. I’m looking at Premier Inn in Melton Mowbray. Any local thoughts on whether that’s a good choice PB?

Posted on: 21 May 2018 by Polarbear
kevin J Carden posted:
Polarbear posted:
kevin J Carden posted:
Polarbear posted:
dave marshall posted:

I see! I’m with Peter for LP12 demos on Wednesday so I guess it’ll be Phil or Wayne for speakers on Thursday.  Just booking somewhere to stay on weds night. I’m looking at Premier Inn in Melton Mowbray. Any local thoughts on whether that’s a good choice PB?

The Premier Inn is fine Kevin, walking distance to the spice club and plenty of drinking places ,to pass the night away.

Posted on: 21 May 2018 by kevin J Carden

Thanks PB. I guess I booked my dem one day too early to have the chance to hear the returned 808’s... Have fun on Thursday afternoon! Kevin

Posted on: 22 May 2018 by Polarbear

Yes, the Titans will be back at Peters late Thursday afternoon, Friday would have been a good day to turn up for a demo. Saying that there is noting wrong with the 707's 

Posted on: 24 May 2018 by Polarbear
kevin J Carden posted:

Thanks PB. I guess I booked my dem one day too early to have the chance to hear the returned 808’s... Have fun on Thursday afternoon! Kevin

How did the 707’s sound Kevin?

Posted on: 24 May 2018 by kevin J Carden

Hi PB, hope the afternoon went well!

707 and 606 both sounded great to me. Interesting that the Vinyl front end sounded better than and quite different to the streamer. Wayne used an NDX/555PS with a HiLine I/C, so streaming side was a shade below optimum. Also, speaker cable was NACA5 as the SL is on loan, so the sound was probably compromised by that and perhaps a slightly bright, punchy edge to them. Both Titans sounded a little bit HiFi for my tastes, but that’s me, not the speakers - most conventional speakers do to my ears, a consequence of decades wedded to Shahinians and their very different approach and presentation. However, I thought that the Titans did more than enough to make them worth trying at home when I (hopefully) get my new, larger dedicated music room later this year. The extra scale and impact of the 707’s would be worth the extra money if my new room permits their use. Or 808’s of course! 

Well the 808’s will give you even more scale, there is a big difference between the 707’s and the 808’s.  It took us all of a couple of minutes for us to decide the 808’s were for us. They are so un hi-fi like. It was the presentation and musical tones which impressed us, so much so, that Peters 808’s returned to Peters and our new red tineo speakers were delivered this afternoon ????

Posted on: 24 May 2018 by nigelb
kevin J Carden posted:

707 and 606 both sounded great to me. Interesting that the Vinyl front end sounded better than and quite different to the streamer. Wayne used an NDX/555PS with a HiLine I/C, so streaming side was a shade below optimum. Also, speaker cable was NACA5 as the SL is on loan, so the sound was probably compromised by that and perhaps a slightly bright, punchy edge to them. Both Titans sounded a little bit HiFi for my tastes, but that’s me, not the speakers - most conventional speakers do to my ears, a consequence of decades wedded to Shahinians and their very different approach and presentation. However, I thought that the Titans did more than enough to make them worth trying at home when I (hopefully) get my new, larger dedicated music room later this year. The extra scale and impact of the 707’s would be worth the extra money if my new room permits their use. Or 808’s of course! 

Interesting stuff Kevin. I am interested in the Titans (probably 606s) so do you mind me asking what amplification the dealer used in their demo?

I would imagine it was Peters 552/500 system Nigel’.

nigelb posted:
kevin J Carden posted:

Interesting stuff Kevin. I am interested in the Titans (probably 606s) so do you mind me asking what amplification the dealer used in their demo?

Hi Nigel, it was the same amplification I have: DR’d 552/500. Not many dealers can do that either...

Polarbear posted:

Well the 808’s will give you even more scale, there is a big difference between the 707’s and the 808’s.  It took us all of a couple of minutes for us to decide the 808’s were for us. They are so un hi-fi like. It was the presentation and musical tones which impressed us, so much so, that Peters 808’s returned to Peters and our new red tineo speakers were delivered this afternoon ????

I can believe it PB. I did hear them once in a domestic setting with the same electronics that I have. Sounded fabulous. I guess your new pair may take a while to run in, but hopefully already making some nice noises ?

They were stunning straight out of the box Kevin! I thought they would be a step backwards from Peters demo pair and they would improve over time. However, both Peter and I were surprised at how good they were.

Posted on: 24 May 2018 by varyat

When I did the demo of the Titan 808's at Peter's there really was no contest between Phil's digital room and Peter's vinyl room. The difference was very significant

Congrats on the new speakers PB- they are awesome!

ATB,

Mark

Posted on: 24 May 2018 by Dustysox
Dustysox posted:

'At the third stroke, it will be 8:0:8 - precisely!!!!!!,

I'm never right about anything!! Congratulations to you both. Loved reading your journey and on FB.

Please keep posting how they evolve with time. Good to see they good form the off. I remember reading about your experience of these speakers (albeit the first generation?) and how keen you were on them back then. It was fate...well done to both of you! 

And..just in time for the Bank Holiday weekend....enjoy!!

Posted on: 24 May 2018 by Foot tapper

Great ending PB, delighted that you can settle in with a system that you and Karen love again.

Best regards, FT

Posted on: 24 May 2018 by Michael_B.

Enjoy!

Posted on: 25 May 2018 by dave marshall

Congratulations on the arrival of your new Titans Mr Bear.

Hugely impressive speakers, with just a hint of the DNA from your last but one pair.