Time for a change??

Posted by: Polarbear on 09 March 2018

Blimey, it seems a while since I have posted here looking for an upgrade but ten years fly by 

So whats changed, I am sitting here listening to Steve Wilson's latest thinking, yeah, its good but maybe it could be better.  So where to start?  I am not looking to change the front end, the CD555, Roksan TMS and NAT 01 IMO can't be bettered, well not this side of £50K!  The 552/500 to me, still powers the system admirably. So maybe its time to look at changing the speakers. Those that know me, will know I went on a long search for speakers many years ago and I thought I was thinking my speakers would last a lifetime so why the itchy paws. Well I am sure things move on and I am starting to hear better  

Therefore advice gentlemen please, its not something I am going to rush into, us Polar bears have all the time in the world 

Posted on: 25 May 2018 by glevethan

Welcome to the Titan club Nigel.  It took you a while however you are finally here.

Best

Gregg

PS - I'm getting old - I can't even remember when I flew over to Peters for a demo of the very first pairs and sat with you in the room of the old shop?

I'm sure some pictures will appear?  Red Tineo!

Posted on: 25 May 2018 by Michael_B.

I'm also looking forward to seeing this Red Tineo pics - so far all I can envision are two large red pilchard cans - very suitable for a Polar Bear of course, but.....

Posted on: 25 May 2018 by Polarbear

Can anyone recommend a good free photo hosting package, I used to use Photo Bucket but they are charging now and I am not paying for hosting photo's.

There are plenty of pics on the Facebook Naim page as its so much easier to show photos

Posted on: 25 May 2018 by GraemeH

Flickr

G

Posted on: 25 May 2018 by nigelb

Imgur. Reliable and no ads.

Thanks all they are amazing speakers and it was an easy choice in the end. It was always going to take something special to get the ART's out of our place. Interestingly though, the first few times I had heard them at shows I wasn't overly impressed but an extended home demo changed my opinion of them. They simply got better over the three weeks I had them, so a big thank you to Peter.  I know its not always possible to have a long home demo  but as Peter explained, they don't like to be moved and take time to settle down and some have been too quick to write them off.

For me, they do share some of the characteristics of both the Neat Ultimatum MF9's and the ART's but they are a more complete package than either of them. They share the ART's Seas tweeters but Derek has them made to his own specifications and I like the extra they give you. They also have the ability to paint a picture of music on front of you. The characteristics I liked from the MF9's. Above all, they play notes and tones that other speakers just can't match. The ART Alnico's hinted at these notes and tones but lacked the speed and dynamics of the Titans which they seriously are 

glevethan posted:

Welcome to the Titan club Nigel.  It took you a while however you are finally here.

Best

Gregg

PS - I'm getting old - I can't even remember when I flew over to Peters for a demo of the very first pairs and sat with you in the room of the old shop?

You don't recall the excellent evening we had at Mr Chans in Market Harborough and the excellent chat we had while driving over?

I have to say, I tried the original 88's, I had the early prototypes at home and didn't think they improved on the ARTs enough to convince me to write a cheque. The 808's just show how much Derek has learned about speaker production over the last few years and they improve on the original 88's immensely. However the first few demo's I heard also didn't convince me that a cheque needed to be written, possibly due to the demo's themselves and the equipment being used with them. Sadly I missed the Cymbiosis Titan open day where i really hoped to hear them properly and it wasn't until I got them home three weeks ago that I really understood as to how good they really are. I had an initial interest when they were first introduced and there was enough to keep my interest in them over the last three year but it was worth the wait and finally I have a pair 

Posted on: 25 May 2018 by Innocent Bystander

There was a thread just a week or so ago about how to post from imgur into here so it the pic visible on the thread, and because some people (including me) had considerable difficulty and inconsistency, it went into some deatail

I have to say that both Karen and I love the colour of them. 

Posted on: 25 May 2018 by TK421

They look great and I'm sure sound even better.

I attended a Kudos event in March in the Forest of Dean. They had the 505's, 606's and 707's.

I was in the demo room with the 707's and asked if they would play Goose Snow Cone by Aimee Mann, they duly obliged.

OMG! - I had never heard the track sound like that before or since, it almost reduced me to tears, very emotional.

Absolutely fantastic. Enjoy!!

ATB, Mike

Posted on: 25 May 2018 by J.N.

Thanks for the pics Nigel. Looking great and 'PB Bold'.

My 707's have taken the best part of nine months to fully blossom with 'as and when' usage, so you definitely have more to come.

(With apologies to Ken C) Enjoy.

John.

We were going to visit that event Mike but the weather, distance and lack of 808’s but us off. We did however hear the 505’s at Bristol and that further wetted our appetite for the Titans.

its a shame you didn’t get the hear the 808’s they are something else ????

Posted on: 25 May 2018 by Foot tapper
Polarbear posted:

Ooh, luuvverrly, PB.  Fantastic looking speakers.  Great colour combination with the red Tineo adding a sense of intimate warmth to contrast with the black & silver front baffle.  Do they sound any good?

J.N. posted:

Thanks for the pics Nigel. Looking great and 'PB Bold'.

My 707's have taken the best part of nine months to fully blossom with 'as and when' usage, so you definitely have more to come.

(With apologies to Ken C) Enjoy.

John.

Speakers should be seen as well as heard John, I have never been shy with colour and size when it comes to speakers.

i am experiencing run in effects today, the NAT 01 is a little restrained in the top end. I know the6 will take time to run in, I am just going to play and enjoy for the next few years John ????

Foot tapper posted:
Polarbear posted:

Ooh, luuvverrly, PB.  Fantastic looking speakers.  Great colour combination with the red Tineo adding a sense of intimate warmth to contrast with the black & silver front baffle.  Do they sound any good?

They d9 sound rather good FT, quite different to the old ARTs, don’t forget mine we’re getting on a bit and everything improves with time. The time was right to start looking for replacements.

Posted on: 25 May 2018 by hungryhalibut

Did you notice that there is a bloke trying to hide behind one of the speakers? He might be a burglar. 

Posted on: 25 May 2018 by Eoink

Looking lovely, enjoy the music.

Posted on: 25 May 2018 by glevethan
Polarbear posted:
glevethan posted:

Best

Gregg

You don't recall the excellent evening we had at Mr Chans in Market Harborough and the excellent chat we had while driving over?  

No I do remember quite well.  It is simply that I do not remember how long ago it was - 7 or 8 years perhaps?

Those look beautiful - similar in looks to my originals - just more of a Polar Bear size to them!

Some would say the 707's were a better match for the room size wise.

Hungryhalibut posted:

Did you notice that there is a bloke trying to hide behind one of the speakers? He might be a burglar. 

Yes, you are right, there he is again 

I thought the standard Tineo were a bit light for our room.

The standard Tineo is a lovely finish though.