Time for a change??

Posted by: Polarbear on 09 March 2018

Blimey, it seems a while since I have posted here looking for an upgrade but ten years fly by 

So whats changed, I am sitting here listening to Steve Wilson's latest thinking, yeah, its good but maybe it could be better.  So where to start?  I am not looking to change the front end, the CD555, Roksan TMS and NAT 01 IMO can't be bettered, well not this side of £50K!  The 552/500 to me, still powers the system admirably. So maybe its time to look at changing the speakers. Those that know me, will know I went on a long search for speakers many years ago and I thought I was thinking my speakers would last a lifetime so why the itchy paws. Well I am sure things move on and I am starting to hear better  

Therefore advice gentlemen please, its not something I am going to rush into, us Polar bears have all the time in the world 

Posted on: 11 March 2018 by Huge
Monster posted:

<snip> You can’t beat JBL compression drivers.

I think a sledgehammer would do the job quite well!  

Posted on: 11 March 2018 by Polarbear
Huge posted:
Monster posted:

Followed by roasting a baby seal over an open fire  

I recall a rather poor showing by JBL at Alistair's open day last year, I am sure some love them but they lacked any kind of detail and dynamics for my liking.

northpole posted:

Nigel

B+W may not be for you, but I'd still recommend (if you haven't already done so) having a listen to the new D3 versions whose sound presentation has moved on quite a bit from the D2's.  The similarity in appearance may be a bigger obstacle for some...

Peter

PS I wonder how far this thread has potential to run.....!!

It won't run as long as the first thread I ran Peter, the forum is very different from then.  If I get the chance I will have a look at the new D3's, thanks for the recommendation Peter.

cat345 posted:

Just curious PB, have you heard Dynaudio Evidence series ?

Yes I have thanks you, lovely speakers but their presentation is not for me.

Posted on: 11 March 2018 by Innocent Bystander

I don’t know what speakers you have other than they are ARTs and have 10” drivers (twin?), but I don’t know their character, and other than mentioned already in this thread I don’t know what speakers you auditioned when last you looked. So, this may or may not suit: when I did some auditioning a couple of years ago the best speakers that I heard (to my ears) were the PMC MB2SEs. I also listened to Fact 12s, which have already been mentioned, and they were pretty decent, and I felt that being relatively small speakers those could be a good choice if I ever was unfortunate enough to have to downsize my listening room. The MB2SE was distinctly better.

But the MB2s do need a bit of physical space to accommodate, and a possible consideration is 58kg needing lifting on/off stands if they need moving for any reason (yes, they’re stand mounters!). 

Posted on: 11 March 2018 by Gazza
Polarbear posted:
Huge posted:
Monster posted:

I recall a rather poor showing by JBL at Alistair's open day last year, I am sure some love them but they lacked any kind of detail and dynamics for my liking.

Yes that as also my disappointment, was looking forward to hear the Levinson amps....the JBL speakers were very ordinary.

Posted on: 11 March 2018 by Wugged Woy
Innocent Bystander posted:

I don’t know what speakers you have other than they are ARTs and have 10” drivers (twin?), but I don’t know their character, and other than mentioned already in this thread I don’t know what speakers you auditioned when last you looked. So, this may or may not suit: when I did some auditioning a couple of years ago the best speakers that I heard (to my ears) were the PMC MB2SEs. I also listened to Fact 12s, which have already been mentioned, and they were pretty decent, and I felt that being relatively small speakers those could be a good choice if I ever was unfortunate enough to have to downsize my listening room. The MB2SE was distinctly better.

But the MB2s do need a bit of physical space to accommodate, and a possible consideration is 58kg needing lifting on/off stands if they need moving for any reason (yes, they’re stand mounters!). 

Seconded. The MB2SE's are truly special.

Blimey, how to describe the ART's, five foot high 110 Kg, three way with twin 10" bass units, huge soundstage with plenty of slam. Great dynamics and detail with plenty of transparency.

I have owned Naim SL2's Neat MF9's ART Emotions and ART Deco's.  I have auditioned Naim NBL's, ATC 150's Eben X3's and X4's, Kudos 88 at home, have listened to endless other speakers at various shops and shows and many forum members houses. 

Speakers that stand out to me, the Neat MF9's, huge fond memories,  Jo Silva's Martens, Tony's DBL's,  Naim NBL's, the Titan 808's and 707's, this probably gives an indication of the presentation I like.

Gazza posted:
Polarbear posted:
Huge posted:
Monster posted:

Yes that as also my disappointment, was looking forward to hear the Levinson amps....the JBL speakers were very ordinary.

That's a very polite way of saying it 

Polarbear posted:

Blimey, how to describe the ART's, five foot high 110 Kg, three way with twin 10" bass units, huge soundstage with plenty of slam. Great dynamics and detail with plenty of transparency.

I have owned Naim SL2's Neat MF9's ART Emotions and ART Deco's.  I have auditioned Naim NBL's, ATC 150's Eben X3's and X4's, Kudos 88 at home, have listened to endless other speakers at various shops and shows and many forum members houses. 

Speakers that stand out to me, the Neat MF9's, huge fond memories,  Jo Silva's Martens, Tony's DBL's,  Naim NBL's, the Titan 808's and 707's, this probably gives an indication of the presentation I like.

Conspicuous by their absence, can I then suggest the MB2s as something worth hearing. (They do have higher models too, but maybe going a bit extreme domestically - though maybe not from your description of your ARTs.)

Polarbear posted:

Conspicuous by their absence, can I then suggest the MB2s as something worth hearing. (They do have higher models too, but maybe going a bit extreme domestically - though maybe not from your description of your ARTs.)

They fall in the category of great systems we have heard. Last year, Karen and I had the pleasure of Vertere's demo room for the afternoon. We had all three Vertere TT's with a full stack of FM Accoustic amps and PMC MB2's, a truely amazing sound and confirmation that the top Vertere TT and reference arm is possibly the best front end money can buy. If I went for the PMC's I would have to go for the rest of the system as well, possibly just above £250K which is a tad over budget 

Posted on: 11 March 2018 by Gazza

Oh go on......you know you want to????

Posted on: 11 March 2018 by Monster
Huge posted:
Monster posted:

With such a stupid comment like that, the best use for a sledgehammer might be up side your head.

Posted on: 11 March 2018 by ct

As a relatively new member of the forum I am not as aware of the journey PB has so far enjoyed however, some of the speakers being mentioned in the posts here figure as possible options on my list of speakers when the time for the next upgrade comes (Kudos 707, for example).

Perhaps embarrassingly i was previously unaware of ART as a brand, maybe you could share a little more of your experiences please, as information seems a little sparse on them?

Thanks

Posted on: 11 March 2018 by Claus-Thoegersen

Raidho one of the bigger models. Expensive but in many ways following Naim  ideas about what is important in replay. Can be too much, but should I change from Audiovector for some reason Raidho would be on the list of speakers I would check out.

Monster posted:
Huge posted:
Monster posted:

With such a stupid comment like that, the best use for a sledgehammer might be up side your head.

Oh dear, no sense of humour?...  Really?

And then followed by incitement to violence?   

Don't worry I'm not going to take offence (my garden has a wall round it so I don't really need a fence!).

Posted on: 11 March 2018 by The Strat (Fender)
Huge posted:
Monster posted:
Huge posted:
Monster posted:

Oh dear, no sense of humour?...  Really?

And then followed by incitement to violence?   

Don't worry I'm not going to take offence (my garden has a wall round it so I don't really need a fence!).

Well he/she is called Monster!

Now, I have a similar less than enamoured view of JBL sound qualityy based on what I have heard - though I admit that is not their latest systems, but can I suggest a halt before this becomes a personal slanging match. We all have different tastes, after all.

Posted on: 11 March 2018 by Mulberry

Hi PB,

like CT I haven’t followed your road to the ARTs and therefore don’t know which models you tried back then. What I do know is, that with sources and amplifiers like yours, I would lend an ear to Franco Serblins Ktema. Just to see (hear) how good his last design is. I regard him as one of the few special designers.

Anyway, good  luck for your search!

Posted on: 11 March 2018 by yeti42

I heard the Ktemas at a show a couple of years ago and they were the most enjoyable I heard all day, however, they only played jazz and some vocal music, intriguing though, can you still buy them?

Now, I have a similar less than enamoured view of JBL sound qualityy based on what I have heard - though I admit that is not their latest systems, but can I suggest a halt before this becomes a personal slanging match. We all have different tastes, after all.

Both my posts were actually purely in humour - I would have thought the  (eek) graemlin would have been enough to indicate that.

Since I use Spendor speakers, just maybe I should perhaps take violent umbrage anytime anyone refers to them with the description "Pipe & Slippers"?
True, I sometimes wear slippers but the pipe is definitely not appropriate (even if most people here don't know why!) and could even be considered quite insulting.

But no, I'm not going to do that: because just as my post wasn't intended as an insult to anyone here, that description would not intended as an insult to me.

Huge posted:

Both my posts were actually purely in humour - I would have thought the  (eek) graemlin would have been enough to indicate that.

I did understood and recognise that, and had no issue with it  - but something in the tone of what preceeded made me envisionia a rather vehement and possibly personal attack as the response...

ct posted:

As a relatively new member of the forum I am not as aware of the journey PB has so far enjoyed however, some of the speakers being mentioned in the posts here figure as possible options on my list of speakers when the time for the next upgrade comes (Kudos 707, for example).

Perhaps embarrassingly i was previously unaware of ART as a brand, maybe you could share a little more of your experiences please, as information seems a little sparse on them?

Thanks

Hi Ct, you can always do a search on here and find my previous threads about my speaker choices. 

Basically I came across ART back in around 2005 when I first heard the ART Emotions. They are a large two way speaker, highly transparent and musical. I used them with my CDS3 500 and back then, two Nap 500’s.  I really enjoyed the ART Emotions but hankered for a larger speaker, then ART introduced the Deco 20’s a much large4 three way speaker which I am still using. 

You wont find much information on them on the net but there are a few users who share their experiences on the forums. They also have the ART Alnico’s which you can find on their website.

regards

PB

Claus-Thoegersen posted:

Raidho one of the bigger models. Expensive but in many ways following Naim  ideas about what is important in replay. Can be too much, but should I change from Audiovector for some reason Raidho would be on the list of speakers I would check out.

They are the newer versions of the Ebens which I had here around 12 years ago. I can see the appeal but they are not something I want to revisit but thanks for the recommendation.

yeti42 posted:

I heard the Ktemas at a show a couple of years ago and they were the most enjoyable I heard all day, however, they only played jazz and some vocal music, intriguing though, can you still buy them?

Not something that may suit my love for hard rock and heavy mental then?