Time for a change??

Posted by: Polarbear on 09 March 2018

Blimey, it seems a while since I have posted here looking for an upgrade but ten years fly by 

So whats changed, I am sitting here listening to Steve Wilson's latest thinking, yeah, its good but maybe it could be better.  So where to start?  I am not looking to change the front end, the CD555, Roksan TMS and NAT 01 IMO can't be bettered, well not this side of £50K!  The 552/500 to me, still powers the system admirably. So maybe its time to look at changing the speakers. Those that know me, will know I went on a long search for speakers many years ago and I thought I was thinking my speakers would last a lifetime so why the itchy paws. Well I am sure things move on and I am starting to hear better  

Therefore advice gentlemen please, its not something I am going to rush into, us Polar bears have all the time in the world 

Posted on: 25 March 2018 by Michael_B.
Polarbear posted:

There is nothing to be baffled about Peter, I have simply served my time with the ART's, I have had them for ten years, they have grown with my system and have been here for longer than any other speaker I have had. I just fancy a change, I really enjoy the Kudos speakers when I visit Peters and spend time there enjoying them. Its obvious to me that things have moved on since I bought the ART and am looking forward to the next chapter in my journey 

Enjoy: Any demo with Peter is always a pleasure!

Posted on: 25 March 2018 by Polarbear
Michael_B. posted:
Polarbear posted:

There is nothing to be baffled about Peter, I have simply served my time with the ART's, I have had them for ten years, they have grown with my system and have been here for longer than any other speaker I have had. I just fancy a change, I really enjoy the Kudos speakers when I visit Peters and spend time there enjoying them. Its obvious to me that things have moved on since I bought the ART and am looking forward to the next chapter in my journey 

Enjoy: Any demo with Peter is always a pleasure!

I know   I have to drive by his place every night, I often pop in for coffee and a listen 

Michael_B. posted:
northpole posted:

I'm baffled.  Or rather, should your living room be?  Just wondering PB if there are any passive acoustic baffles available which could help tune your room to damp out excessive bass enabling the Arts to better perform and allow you to enjoy all the other bits which made them appeal to you in the first place.  Or does there come a point where certain laws of physics dictate "Houston, we have a problem".

Looking forward to reading how you get on with the Kudos family!

Peter

Good point. I think my old office/listening room you visited, Nigel, was carpeted at the time. Later on I ripped out the carpets and had a solid oak floor laid on top of the old floorboards, which tightened up the bass remarkably - and that was just with the SL2s and an nSub..... None of which applies, of course, if your room has a solid floor.

Shhh, don't mention that to Karen, she would love a solid oak floor. Not sure it would suit our place though and its not been that long since we had our last re-fit. The last re-fit with new carpet and underlay did improve SQ somewhat 

Posted on: 25 March 2018 by Brilliant

I was at a local Audio Show today with an old non-audiophile buddy and he (and I) thought the Goldmund setup had the most 'natural sound' - and the speakers were in white & black!

I missed that one, what was the audio show?

Posted on: 25 March 2018 by Brilliant

Salon Audio Montréal Audio Fest

Posted on: 25 March 2018 by Innocent Bystander

Well, I don’t understand how changing a carpet for solid flooring can improve bass, and neither do I understand the transient nature of liking a pair of speakers for a while then tiring of them, or wanting more if they were so right earlier, so I think I have to back out of this thread.

all the best with what you decide to go for.

Posted on: 25 March 2018 by Tallan
Innocent Bystander posted:

Well, I don’t understand how changing a carpet for solid flooring can improve bass,

I can understand how changing from carpet to hardwood would increase bass response as hardwood is much more sound reflective than carpet, especially if there was an underlayment as well, but I wonder how it would tighten up the bass for the same reason.  If the room with carpet was sonically kind of soft, mushy, or dead then I suppose the new floor being much more lively and perhaps even resonant would be of benefit.

Posted on: 26 March 2018 by Michael_B.
Tallan posted:

Well, I don’t understand how changing a carpet for solid flooring can improve bass,

I can understand how changing from carpet to hardwood would increase bass response as hardwood is much more sound reflective than carpet, especially if there was an underlayment as well, but I wonder how it would tighten up the bass for the same reason.  If the room with carpet was sonically kind of soft, mushy, or dead then I suppose the new floor being much more lively and perhaps even resonant would be of benefit.

In my case the big difference was I believe due to reduced floor flex and resonance with the additional layer of solid wood. I'm no expert on the theory, but believe that the reflection/absorption aspect of carpet is more likely to impact treble frequencies than bass.

The difference in sonic characteristics was, however, very noticeable.

Posted on: 26 March 2018 by james n

PB - these could be right up your street

Graham Audio VOTU.

Posted on: 26 March 2018 by Tallan
Michael_B. posted:
Tallan posted:

In my case the big difference was I believe due to reduced floor flex and resonance with the additional layer of solid wood. I'm no expert on the theory, but believe that the reflection/absorption aspect of carpet is more likely to impact treble frequencies than bass.

The difference in sonic characteristics was, however, very noticeable.

"but believe that the reflection/absorption aspect of carpet is more likely to impact treble frequencies than bass."

Maybe.  Most speakers are designed with the tweeters at (approximately) ear level as those drivers beam their sound rather directly.  Woofers on the other hand are almost position-agnostic (almost) as low frequencies reflect all over - this is why many sub-woofer setups have only one box; stereo imaging occurs far more at the mid & high frequencies.  You also have the distance effect; with a standmount speaker the tweeters may be 32" or more above the floor while the woofers are usually almost floor level.  I forget the precise math but I believe it's an inverse square: energy at twice the distance will have one quarter the power and so forth.

In any event you hear what you hear and that's all that matters.  

Posted on: 27 March 2018 by HansW

I would suggest that you consider Magico and YG Acoustics speakers. These are at the top of my short list when I change from my current NBLs. I was prejudiced against all the metal in these speakers, especially the YG with aluminium drivers, but hearing them won me over. I do not think I have ever heard anything better.

Good luck.

Hans

Posted on: 27 March 2018 by Joppe

I would have a listen to Magico speakers before any decision. I have only heard S1 mk2 (small floor stander) but thoose I bought... The bigger siblings are supposed to be even better...

Posted on: 27 March 2018 by Polarbear

Any suggestions as to where I can hear a pair of bigger Magico's in the UK?

Posted on: 27 March 2018 by zoot

Hello PB.  ,  Active NBLs out !     Just installed a pair of Wilson Sashas ( passive)fantastic Improvment !

Posted on: 27 March 2018 by ct

Hi PB

There are a couple of sellers on a well known auction site with what look to be big Magicos available for sale but i'm not sure of their demonstration availability.....

Posted on: 27 March 2018 by Foot tapper

Oxford Audio?

Posted on: 28 March 2018 by Nagual

KJWestone in central london have the big ones on dem i believe

Posted on: 02 April 2018 by Polarbear

I can already see the problem with the Magico’s. £56k for the M3’s!  For that money, I think I would be looking at the Statment pre amp. 

Posted on: 02 April 2018 by Foot tapper

Hi PB,

How about the Magico S5 mk II?  They are even cheaper (!) than the M3 but retain the twin 10" drivers that you like.

No temptation then...

Best regards, FT

Posted on: 02 April 2018 by J Novak

KJWestOne in London have the M3 and are looking to get the M6. They also have other models of Magico so you could compare to see what the significant additional cost brings.

Good luck, it is a very exciting position to be in!

Posted on: 08 April 2018 by Polarbear

Well its the end of an era tonight, the big ARTs have left the building and heading up North. I had them for over ten years and thoroughly enjoyed them.

Now on to the next chapter of MJJHTF.  

Posted on: 08 April 2018 by davidf

So what are u using for speakers now, PB?

david

Posted on: 09 April 2018 by Foot tapper

I wonder if a pair of Kudos Titan 808 might make an appearance?

Posted on: 09 April 2018 by tonym
Foot tapper posted:

I wonder if a pair of Kudos Titan 808 might make an appearance?

Methinks it'll be a long-term run in the bear's lair for those FT.