Time for a change??

Posted by: Polarbear on 09 March 2018

Blimey, it seems a while since I have posted here looking for an upgrade but ten years fly by 

So whats changed, I am sitting here listening to Steve Wilson's latest thinking, yeah, its good but maybe it could be better.  So where to start?  I am not looking to change the front end, the CD555, Roksan TMS and NAT 01 IMO can't be bettered, well not this side of £50K!  The 552/500 to me, still powers the system admirably. So maybe its time to look at changing the speakers. Those that know me, will know I went on a long search for speakers many years ago and I thought I was thinking my speakers would last a lifetime so why the itchy paws. Well I am sure things move on and I am starting to hear better  

Therefore advice gentlemen please, its not something I am going to rush into, us Polar bears have all the time in the world 

Posted on: 17 April 2018 by The Strat (Fender)

Any other Forum members using Tannoys?  Any Naim dealers who sell Tannoy as well?

Posted on: 17 April 2018 by Polarbear

I am sure there are Lindsay but to me its not an obvious combination.

I think Dave Whitter over in the Tent in the old days had a CDX2/202/200 with Westminster’s.  He sold them to Mibby I think.  

Posted on: 17 April 2018 by hungryhalibut

Dave Whitter? The Tent? Mibby? 

Hungryhalibut posted:

Dave Whitter? The Tent? Mibby? 

All legends in another universe HH 

Posted on: 17 April 2018 by hungryhalibut

Ah, the Wam. Not somewhere I’ve visited. The excitement would be too great.

Posted on: 17 April 2018 by Innocent Bystander
Polarbear posted:

and what do you consider to be a reasonably sized room?

Ah, that’s the question! When I saw a pair for sale at a ridiculously good price a couple of years ago I did consider - but at something like 4’6” high, over 3’ wide by 2’ deep  (maybe more), I measured and decided my wife was right and they wouldn’t work in my room: ( just over 7m by just under 7m should have been OK, but with awkward stub walls and a large window speaker and listening positions are too limited, and they would have obstructed half the room.

Innocent Bystander posted:
Polarbear posted:

and what do you consider to be a reasonably sized room?

Ah, that’s the question! When I saw a pair for sale at a ridiculously good price a couple of years ago I did consider - but at something like 4’6” high, over 3’ wide by 2’ deep  (maybe more), I measured and decided my wife was right and they wouldn’t work in my room: ( just over 7m by just under 7m should have been OK, but with awkward stub walls and a large window speaker and listening positions are too limited, and they would have obstructed half the room.

They sound like the ATC  150's  I had here for a home demonstration. They were beautiful speakers but far too big for my room. They looked silly either side of the fireplace and to get a decent sound out of them you had to turn the pre amp up so high the sound was unbearably loud. They were great for a few weeks but I couldn't wait to get my smaller ART Emotions back. Now if I had a small concert hall they would have been fantastic and probably would have stayed.

Hungryhalibut posted:

Ah, the Wam. Not somewhere I’ve visited. The excitement would be too great.

Excitement so great Nigel the place would quite ioften mplode!

Posted on: 18 April 2018 by Mr Underhill

Hi PB,

I was thinking of the Westminsters! Last time I heard these live was at a dealers home listening room, which was rather large.

Tannoy have just released their Legacy range: Eaton (10"), Cheviot (12") and Arden (15"). These stick to the classic designs but have used modern materials - at least on the enclosures, and I think in the DCs from what I have read elsewhere.

Excellent reports on the new Eaton.

M

Posted on: 19 April 2018 by Polarbear

Well the 707's have left the house and the 808's are now in the house 

Posted on: 19 April 2018 by elkman70

Initial impressions? They are quite a lot larger than the 707s

Posted on: 19 April 2018 by Polarbear

Initials impressions are "wow" Elkman  They have all the characteristics of the 707's but more of everything, so much more of everything. 

Posted on: 19 April 2018 by Dave J

They all have the same sonic character, it’s just about getting the right pair for your room.

I’d have gone for 808s but would have been sitting “amongst” them and half way out the door. The 707s would let me back in the room but the 606s, against my original expectations, were and are just...perfect.

Sounds to me like it’ll be the 808s in your case, PB. Cracking speakers!

Posted on: 19 April 2018 by The Strat (Fender)

I think I may have visited Melton Mowbray the wrong weekend!

Posted on: 19 April 2018 by Bob the Builder

A Leak or Radford valve amp into Big Tannoy's are considered to be a fantastic combination in some quarters and no doubt they sound great listening to Ahmad Jamal or a stringed quartet but what about The Who - Live at Leeds, ACDC or some bass heavy EDM?

Posted on: 20 April 2018 by elkman70
Polarbear posted:

Initials impressions are "wow" Elkman  They have all the characteristics of the 707's but more of everything, so much more of everything. 

Excellent news.

Dave J posted:

They all have the same sonic character, it’s just about getting the right pair for your room.

I’d have gone for 808s but would have been sitting “amongst” them and half way out the door. The 707s would let me back in the room but the 606s, against my original expectations, were and are just...perfect.

I agree and hence me going with 707s.

I do find that I keep inching them further into the room to get the best out of them but still not too far into the room. I imagine it’s the same with the 808s and 606s?

Posted on: 20 April 2018 by Mr Underhill
Mr Underhill posted:

Hi PB,

I was thinking of the Westminsters! Last time I heard these live was at a dealers home listening room, which was rather large.

M

Sorry, should have read, 'I wasn't thinking of the Westminsters!'.

Posted on: 20 April 2018 by Dave J
elkman70 posted:
Polarbear posted:

Excellent news.

Dave J posted:

I do find that I keep inching them further into the room to get the best out of them but still not too far into the room. I imagine it’s the same with the 808s and 606s?

I have mine about 42 cm from the back wall and tbh haven’t really experimented a great deal with distance, just placed them where the S20s had been previously, made some adjustments to  the distance between them and finally levelled them after running them in for 500 hours.

When I spoke to Derek about positioning, he advised that the extension of the sides meant they could be used closer to the wall and recommended experimentation.

Posted on: 20 April 2018 by J.N.

Sounds good Nigel. I'm following your Kudos adventures with interest.

Enjoy - as Ken C would say.

John.

Posted on: 20 April 2018 by varyat
Polarbear posted:

Well the 707's have left the house and the 808's are now in the house 

Ok, sorted then Awesome speakers...

Posted on: 20 April 2018 by piggy

Interesting as Derek had the Titan range that I listened to at the Ceritech Kudos event day all close to back wall. I have since auditioned the 707's at home in place of my SBL's,  again the dealer had them just off the back wall.

I have since placed an order as they did everything right in that position but....I only could audition them them for a few hours at home.

I would understand that this is room dependant but out of interest what do you gain by having them further into the room as I had no boom and top end was sublime even at very loud volume levels.

Andy

Posted on: 20 April 2018 by J.N.

Roger that Andy. My 707's work superbly well, sited only about 11” off the back wall. 

One just never knows with rooms. 

John. 

Posted on: 20 April 2018 by The Strat (Fender)

Where is the Bear?!

Posted on: 20 April 2018 by Polarbear
Dave J posted:
elkman70 posted:
Polarbear posted:

Excellent news.

Dave J posted:

I have mine about 42 cm from the back wall and tbh haven’t really experimented a great deal with distance, just placed them where the S20s had been previously, made some adjustments to  the distance between them and finally levelled them after running them in for 500 hours.

When I spoke to Derek about positioning, he advised that the extension of the sides meant they could be used closer to the wall and recommended experimentation.

I am very lucky, my listening room is 43 foot long, I have the 808's some four foot into the room, thats about a foot further than I had the 707's.

My problem is that the side wall is only 14 foot wide and the speakers sit too close to the side walls IMO.  Personally I would more space either side of the speakers and if there was more space I would be more comfortable in moving the speakers closer to the rear wall.