Qobuz, BubbleUPnP and Nova - gapless not working

Posted by: Alley Cat on 08 June 2018

I cannot play gapless albums on my Nova unless I play from downloaded files on:

1 - WD NAS with Twonky

2 - connected USB device

This is fine for CD rips or HD purchases (ignoring metadata issues), but what I really want to do is stream gapless albums using Qobuz Sublime.

So far these methods do not work with my Nova:

- Chromecasting via Qobuz iOS app

- Logging into Qobuz and playing via Audirvana on Mac

- Using Qobuz desktop app on Mac

For one reason or another I do not want Java on my Mac installation to run BubbleUPnP. I was planning to set up a Raspberry Pi for this but have not done so yet.

Now, this may be unconventional but I am running a Raspberry Pi distro on the Mac in Virtual Box.

First attempt at using BubbleUPnP a few weeks ago ended up in frustration - tonight I've tried a different approach

So, fired up the Virtual Pi then followed the Other Java platforms instructions copied at the bottom.

So I have the software in the Music folder on the Pi temporarily, have launched it and setup as follows:

1 - Selected Nova and ticked 'create an OpenHome media renderer' and named the Room 'Nova Pi'.

2 - Using Linn Kazoo on iOS Nova Pi is identified

3 - Entered Qobuz login credentials in Kazoo

4 - Selected a gapless album (Marillion's Misplaced Childhood)

5 - Used the play icon to play the whole album

6 - Kazoo responds saying '10 tracks send to DS' or similar

7 - Listened - not gapless

Any ideas/pointers here?  I'm starting to think my Nova simply cannot do UPnP playback gapless.

Thanks in advance.

Other Java platforms (Linux, Raspberry Pi, NAS, ...)

Download BubbleUPnP Server

BubbleUPnP Server is distributed as an archive containing a jar file.

1. unpack the archive in a directory
  2. on unix platforms make launch.sh executable: chmod +x launch.sh
  3. on unix platforms run launch.sh, on Windows run launch.bat. Java 7 or higher must be installed and the "java" executable must be in your PATH
  4. point your Web Browser to http://localhost:58050 to show the configuration interface
  5. for Internet access with Android BubbleUPnP, configure your firewall / Router NAT to allow access to TCP port 58050 (see server configuration below)

If you want transcoding support you will need to install ffmpeg on your system.

Alternatively you can run the server with:

java -jar BubbleUPnPServerLauncher.jar
Posted on: 11 June 2018 by Alley Cat
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:
Alley Cat posted:

Out of interest I assume that for audio streams that play gapless this is down to there being no silence in the stream at the start or end of the tracks, rather than some kind of tag that tells the software to insert a few secs of silence or not between tracks?

Correct.. there is no tag in the media.

Thanks Simon.