Customer Service - So easy to get wrong.

Posted by: Adam Meredith on 30 August 2018

I've been trying to resolve a question - I need to replace a rear wheel on my  BMW R 1150RS motorcycle. My original got pierced by some vicious object which also totalled the tyre.

After some conflicting advice from my BMW dealer and 2nd hand dealers I thought I'd get a definitive answer - from BMW Motorrad UK.

My e-mail was answered with "Thanks for your email. Our Customer Service team will be in touch within two working days."

That was Monday 20th.

Today (30th) I sent a follow up - simplified and just asking "Will a wheel with this Part Number fit .... ?"

I received this answer
"Good afternoon Adam
Thanks for your email about your BMW R 1150 RS – I can understand your frustration.
Here at Motorrad customer service, we rely on our network of Motorrad Centres to fully investigate and diagnose any fault that may occur.
The best thing to do is have your car looked at by your local Approved Motorrad Centre which can be found here. They’ll be in the best position to advise you.
I hope this information helps. If there’s anything else I can help with in the meantime please get in touch.
Kind regards
Luke"

It may be age but I find having the specifics of my enquiry so totally ignored annoying enough. However, it is the "I can appreciate your frustration" and "I hope this information helps. If there’s anything else I can help with in the meantime please get in touch. Kind regards" boilerplate bullshit that adds a final unconcerned insult.

I do hope Naim aren't tempted along this path - given their all-too-frequent need for exceptional customer services in maintaining retailer/customer goodwill.

I like old age. I love impotent fury - it was what I've been training for all my life.

Posted on: 30 August 2018 by MDS

I suspect we've all been on the end of this polite but hopeless type of 'customer service' who seem to exist in a layer between the customer and the technical folk that could answer the query if only you could speak to them.  I find it particularly prevalent in the IT world.

Anyway, back to BMW motor cycle, I suspect there's an owner club with a forum of sorts and lots of very knowledgeable members only too willing to share (bit like the Naim forum). I've certainly found that a very useful resource when I've had a query about Mercedes cars, which the dealer network have found too hard.    

Posted on: 30 August 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

'Your call is important to us' makes me grind my teeth. If it is so important why don't you just answer it?

Bruce

Posted on: 30 August 2018 by Guinnless
Adam Meredith posted:

I've been trying to resolve a question - I need to replace a rear wheel on my  BMW R 1150RS motorcycle. My original got pierced by some vicious object which also totalled the tyre.

After some conflicting advice from my BMW dealer and 2nd hand dealers I thought I'd get a definitive answer - from BMW Motorrad UK.

My e-mail was answered with "Thanks for your email. Our Customer Service team will be in touch within two working days."

That was Monday 20th.

Today (30th) I sent a follow up - simplified and just asking "Will a wheel with this Part Number fit .... ?"

I received this answer
"Good afternoon Adam
Thanks for your email about your BMW R 1150 RS – I can understand your frustration.
Here at Motorrad customer service, we rely on our network of Motorrad Centres to fully investigate and diagnose any fault that may occur.
The best thing to do is have your car looked at by your local Approved Motorrad Centre which can be found here. They’ll be in the best position to advise you.
I hope this information helps. If there’s anything else I can help with in the meantime please get in touch.
Kind regards
Luke"

It may be age but I find having the specifics of my enquiry so totally ignored annoying enough. However, it is the "I can appreciate your frustration" and "I hope this information helps. If there’s anything else I can help with in the meantime please get in touch. Kind regards" boilerplate bullshit that adds a final unconcerned insult.

I do hope Naim aren't tempted along this path - given their all-too-frequent need for exceptional customer services in maintaining retailer/customer goodwill.

I like old age. I love impotent fury - it was what I've been training for all my life.

Adam,

Both car and bike dealers will be very unlikely to answer this sort of question as if it goes wrong they could end up being responsible.   They should have stated this though and been fully clear why they cannot help in this manner.

Take it to the dealers.   if it's very expensive claim on your insurance. 

Posted on: 31 August 2018 by Allan Milne

I love Adam's quote "... I like old age. I love impotent fury - it was what I've been training for all my life" - me too

… and when you have been on hold for 20 minutes and then find that "customer service" is just a triage of some generic call handler working on a script who then (if you are lucky) will transfer you on to some other call handler who might (or might not) be more knowledgable) for another 20 minute wait …

I wonder if we can make a claim against such practices under Health & Safety for raising our blood pressure?

grumpy Allan (only had 1 cup of coffee this morning)

Posted on: 31 August 2018 by Dave***t
Adam Meredith posted: