CDX2 upgrade paths

Posted by: PTCM on 29 September 2018

I have been using CDX2/XPS2 for years.  Love the sound.  Just wondering if anyone can give me an opinion on the following upgrade:

1) upgrade the XPS2 to XPSDR, is the improvement going to be marginal or ?  is it better to sell the XPS2 and buy another XPSDR or upgrade the exiting one ?   It's a popular conception that the resale value for "upgraded" XPSDR will be discounted by potential buyers...

2) upgrade to CDS3, would the sound characteristics change dramatically or just a more refined presentation of CDX2 ?

Thanks a lot in advance.  

Posted on: 29 September 2018 by Geko

I think you will get quite a few different reccomendations as your questions pose some very subjective and personal assesment in a lot of different situations.

Many will say that the CDX2 is unsurpassed on jazz and rock, a lot will say that the CDS3 is more refined and better on classical music. Some will say they preffer the CDX2 with no power supply and some will say that they don't feel the XPS2 brings much to the mix. A lot more will say that a XPS2DR or 555PS takes thing to another league.

Then there's the question of adding an Ndac and using a PS on that? I had the latter and used my CDX2 with an Ndac and 555PS. I personally thought this was the best combo I'd heard on my system until I was lucky enough to find a pre-loved 555CDP.

Posted on: 29 September 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

I can’t comment on the the XPS modification to DR, as I prefer the CDX2 without additional powersupply (when into 252 or 552) . But if you decide to have the DR I would pay for the modification and service over buying a new one...as you get the same specification for quite a discount.

As far as CDS3, this is very different sounding to the CDX2.. the former is more detailed and ultimately more revealing than the CDX2, however I found, and I did own both for a time, that to my ears the CDS3 just didn’t have the enjoyment and boogie factor with many recordings that the CDX2seems to deliver. So audition carefully... I didn’t, instead I allowed myself to be followed by forum opinion at the time, I sold on my CDS3 quite quickly ... still own and use my CDX2.

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by PTCM

Thanks Geko and Simon.

I really like how CDX2/XPS2 sound.I definitely think it's better than CDX2 bare.   

I have explored the NDX route, but it didn't work out.  All I want is to make evolutionary improvement from CDX2/XPS2 setup in a cost efficient way.  That said, Simon's CDS3 experience scares me a little bit.  In this part of the world, it's hard to get an oppo to audition CDS3....  CDX2/PS555 is a wild and intriguing idea that I would like to explore because worst case scenario I could use it as Ndac/555.

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Oh yes.. I forgot to say, in my experience to get the best from the CDX2 ... such that it sounds great with its own power supply, I have found it massively benefits from sitting on full fat Fraim... it really makes a bizarre amount of difference performance wise... and I find I really like the sound of Hiline connectors on the CDX2... they seem to really accentuate what is enjoyable with the CDX2.

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by Foot tapper

It is either good or confusing to receive views from several forum members but here goes.

There was supposed to be a clear hierarchy of bare CDX2 then CDX2 with XPS then CDS3 with XPS. The CDS3 was recognised as being a significant step up in terms of musical insight, resolution and organic flow but was considered by many (but not all) as a bit too polite.

Then the 555PS arrived as a stand alone power supply and altered the status quo.

Much as I respect Simon’s knowledge of electronics and his contribution to the forum, when it comes to listening, we do hear music differently.

I was never a fan of the bare CDX2. I never found it engaging. It just never sounded quite right. I preferred my old Arcam CD player.  Then I heard a CDX2 with XPS2. Wow and Wow! It was so very much better, night and day better that I ordered the pair there and then. They make a classic combination.

A few years later and the CDX2 went back to Naim for a service. My dealer kindly leant a CDS3 head unit “to tide me over”.  Music flowed in a lovely, organic, unforced way. So many subtle details were revealed for the first time by the CDS3. It was a clear, significant step up from the CDX2 in almost every way. Almost. Music was presented in a very polite, gentle, effortless way. Too polite for these ears. 

So the CDS3 head unit went back to my dealer, who suggested that a 555PS did wonderful things for a CDX2.  The CDX2/555PS and CDS3/XPS2 were supposed to be of equivalent capability but with very different strengths. And so it proved to be. I made the mistake of trying a 555PS on the CDX2. Oh my goodness. Did you ever see the Maxell tape advert with the man sitting in his chair listening to music with his hair blown backwards by the force of it all? That’s how it felt.  Music had an addictive, compulsive, immersive sense of drive.  It lacked the subtle sophistication of a CDS3 but more than compensated for this with exciting, captivating, engaging dynamics and rhythm.  So I became the very happy owner of a CDX2/555PS for a long time.

Until the head unit needed a repair. My dealer leant that same CDS3 head unit again, “to get me by”.  Oh dear. This time, the CDS3 retained almost all of the drive and for want of a better term, balls, of the CDX2 but added all of the subtle insight and delicacy that is beyond the CDX2.

I still have that very CDS3 and 555PS to this day.

So, I would not change an XPS to an XPS-DR if looking for a material upgrade. Nor would I buy a CDS3 head unit without audition, as the musical presentation is quite different and may not be to your taste. A 555PS is to me an unqualified yes on a CDX2, as it is on a CDS3.

A very different perspective for you from another happy owner of Naim CD players!

best regards, FT

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by Emre

A din din SL is always a good upgrade, try it

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by Moog

Sorry if this is stating the obvious but i thought about this a lot.Cost of second hand CDS3  £1500-2000 (value depends on new laser)  To sell CDX2 £900-£1000.   If I had a XPS2 (can never get one at the right price) I would get CDS3 and keep CDX2, then you have time on your side before selling either CDS3 and CDX2.   If you keep CDX2 and sell CDS3 worse case scenario you have lost about £300.

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by mlauner

CDS3 is superior to CDX2 by wide margin with XPS, CDS2 much closer but not easily repaired. No experience with 555 PS or DR upgrade. Availability of CDX2 is greater than CDS3 also.

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk
mlauner posted:

CDS3 is superior to CDX2 by wide margin with XPS...

Only subjectively  in your opinion .. some of us felt the CDS3 was a step back in musical enjoyment, although it was step ahead in neutrality and refinement.. .. Enjoyment is what it’s all about to many of us... one needs to audition in one’s  system to confirm preference. And yes I preferred the sound of the original CDX2 to the later CDX2.2 with modified transport and altered digital electronics. Of course the CDS3 needs at least an XPS where as the CDX2 can be self powered.

FT we do indeed hear things differently... my 555PS on my CDX2 to my ears is not a happy marriage at all... for me it kind over eggs the CDX2 especially with higher quality NACs such as 252 and 552 ... not an enjoyable extended listen. However the great thing with Naim is there are usually several options to suit preference... and there is very little in terms of absolute certainty...

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by French Rooster

I would add a second hand non dr 555ps, to add to the cdx2.  The 555ps can serve later for an ndx2, second hand nds, or can be sold very easily later.    Cdx2/555ps is wonderful.

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by gary yeowell

I enjoyed my time with my original CDX2 with VAM 1250. In fact the best sounding CDX2 i've heard, and one that walked all over a later CDX2.2 on a dealer demo at one time. Even the dealer was amazed at how much better it was. As good as that particular CDX2 was, the new CDS3 that i replaced it with, one of the last units out of the factory with the VAM 1250, simply takes music to a different level in every musical aspect. Not only that it plays all music beautifully, and is less of a 'cherry picker' than the CDX2.

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by Finkfan

I tried an XPSDR on my CDX2.1 and was underwhelmed. Adding a 555ps however is a stunning upgrade in my system. 

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by Japtimscarlet
Geko posted:

I think you will get quite a few different reccomendations as your questions pose some very subjective and personal assesment in a lot of different situations.

Many will say that the CDX2 is unsurpassed on jazz and rock, a lot will say that the CDS3 is more refined and better on classical music. Some will say they preffer the CDX2 with no power supply and some will say that they don't feel the XPS2 brings much to the mix. A lot more will say that a XPS2DR or 555PS takes thing to another league.

Then there's the question of adding an Ndac and using a PS on that? I had the latter and used my CDX2 with an Ndac and 555PS. I personally thought this was the best combo I'd heard on my system until I was lucky enough to find a pre-loved 555CDP.

Exactly as you predicted.... everyone has a different option of what sounds best...

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by wenger2015
Finkfan posted:

I tried an XPSDR on my CDX2.1 and was underwhelmed. Adding a 555ps however is a stunning upgrade in my system. 

+1 to that, it was so good I did the same..

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by The Naim's Dave

I have an XPS on my CDX2.1 which was then DR'ed.  Also tried a 555ps but was very underwhelmed by it so stuck to my XPS

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by PTCM
The Naim's Dave posted:

I have an XPS on my CDX2.1 which was then DR'ed.  Also tried a 555ps but was very underwhelmed by it so stuck to my XPS

was the DRed one much better or marginally better to your ears ?

Thanks

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by AlexWong

I have went throught the whole chain of Naim cd players now ending up with cd555 for my main and cds3 as my second system. IMHO cds3 gave me the best upgrade Satisfaction from cdx2/xps  This is one of the best cd player naim ever produced. It is in a different league compare to cdx2. It sounds very analogue and very pleasent to listen. It sounds different to cdx2. Since cdx2 at the end still sounded abit digital.

Cd555 is better all round but the difference is not as big as the upgrade from my cdx2. This might due to i am only driving it from 282 SC 250. 

Cds3 will give you the best value for money upgrade as they are going for a bargain at the moment

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by Christopher_M

I've had both and massively preferred the CDS3. Mine had the standard XPS which I had had previously used on my CDX2. Basically the CDS3 just flows.

Please don't let anyone tell you Naim can't service the CDS3. They know how good it is and they want to keep their customers happy.

C.

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by yeti42

There’s a bit of system dependency and some personal taste variation  between these options. I’ve never heard a CDS3, I couldn’t accommodate the top loading transport. I did buy a 555ps and a full Fraim shelf for the CDX2 and greatly enjoyed what both did but it was never quite there with classical music feeding a 282 with either a hi or supercap and a 250. A CDS3 may have been the answer but I had run out of rack space for both CD and vinyl by then and vinyl won so I retired the CDX2 for a core and a DAC while I waited for the NDS replacement to emerge. The CDX2 however lives again with its former companions of 282/hi/250 and a pair of Thiels but it’s in a much larger room and there it doesn’t seem lacking for classical, even self powered. Make of that what you will.

Posted on: 30 September 2018 by MDS

If yours is a CDX2.2 with digital output I think the best VFM upgrade would be to find an nDAC, use the CDX2.2 to drive it, and put the XPS2 on the nDAC.  I used to have a CDX2.2/XP5XS to nDAC/555PSDR. One day I tried using the CDX2.2 powered by the 555PS (i.e. a 2-box solution v 4-box solution) and must preferred the nDAC on the CDX2.  The soundstage and boogie was much better. nDAC can be picked up for quite good prices these days.  

Posted on: 01 October 2018 by Mike Hughes

Borh versions of the bare CDX2 are okay (I lived with mine for a year until I could afford the power sup;lay)  but leap up with an XPS2. DR the latter and you’ll get more benefits on the later player in my view. The sound with an original CDX2 is more detailed but a little drier or more closed in. The music sounds recorded and less alive.

555PS was overkill on CDX2 and started to expose it’s weaknesses especially if a Powerline was involved. Auditioned a CDS3 and it’s a much more real or natural presentation of instruments but lacks PRaT to a significant extent even with an XPS2. Adding a 555PS took it to a new level again in terms of timbre and added some slam and body (mid range) but in an A/B comparison to a CDX2/XPS2 it still fell short on PRaT so the question of which is your priority is very much a personal one. For me it was apples v oranges and the cheaper one is not one I’ve regretted albeit that the CDS3 was captivating in certain ways. 

Posted on: 01 October 2018 by The Naim's Dave
PTCM posted:
The Naim's Dave posted:

was the DRed one much better or marginally better to your ears ?

Thanks

Difficult to say as I changed from 202 to 282 at the same time.

I also had a CDS3 on loan while my CDX2 went back to naim for a minor repair.  This was with XPS nonDR.  Thought it was a big improvement on my CDX2 but finances prevented any upgrading.

Posted on: 01 October 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk
Mike Hughes posted:

555PS was overkill on CDX2 and started to expose it’s weaknesses especially if a Powerline was involved. Auditioned a CDS3 and it’s a much more real or natural presentation of instruments but lacks PRaT to a significant extent even with an XPS2. Adding a 555PS took it to a new level again in terms of timbre and added some slam and body (mid range) but in an A/B comparison to a CDX2/XPS2 it still fell short on PRaT .......

Mike this a good summary and matches my experiences and observations.

Posted on: 25 October 2018 by PTCM

I got my CDS3 today.  The presentation is quite different from CDX2.  The more refined details are very evident.  It's pretty darn good I must say.  I am enjoying every second of it.  Thanks to those who gave me feedback here leading to this purchase.     

Posted on: 25 October 2018 by gary yeowell

You have bought yourself one damn fine CD player, enjoy!