SBL & Allae interior foam

Posted by: tonyi on 21 October 2018

For SBL and perhaps Allae owners who have removed the Bass/mid speaker unit from their box and found the interior foam disintegrated, the correct spec is now available at Puresound of Tavistock near Plymouth. There is a drawing needed for the SBL unit which can be found under the post, headed "ALLAES", which has been put there by Richard Dane, otherwise I have one and Guy at Puresound has one. 

Posted on: 22 October 2018 by Gavin B

Sounds like this could / should be useful info. Can I suggest you amend the thread title to make it more helpful?

Posted on: 22 October 2018 by Richard Dane

Tony , thanks, it's useful info for anyone using SBLs and Allaes long-term. I have amended the thread title slightly to make it easier to find in a search.

Posted on: 22 October 2018 by tonyi
Richard Dane posted:

Tony , thanks, it's useful info for anyone using SBLs and Allaes long-term. I have amended the thread title slightly to make it easier to find in a search.

Richard,

Thank you

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by iiyama

My NAIM ALLAE interior foam damping pads disintegrated upon touch !!

After the mild panic i found the thread and contacted Guy at Puresound who sorted me out 6 new pads in quick time.

You can purchase these pads via a certain auction site for £75

Great service and highly recommended 

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by mike_g

I presume that the only way to tell is to remove the bass/mid drivers. Which I am reluctant to do

What is the effect on sound quality?

Mike

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by Peder

???? An advice,...
When you have removed the bass/mid drivers,do not forget that these items should be ”Torque Draw” when they are put back.

◾This for the best soundquality,.Important.!

I'm not at home so I can't check in my book,but if I remember correctly,the bass/mid drivers for Allae will be ”Torque Draw” with 3.8 Nm.
But check with Naim,..or your dealer for safety's sake.

/Peder ????

i was told by Naim that its 3.6 Nm.

It was a fairly easy job, easier than connecting lots of black boxes on Fraim !!!

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by Peder
iiyama posted:

i was told by Naim that its 3.6 Nm.

???? Iiyama,..Top,then I had pretty good memory ????????.

/Peder ????

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by Japtimscarlet
mike_g posted:

I presume that the only way to tell is to remove the bass/mid drivers. Which I am reluctant to do

What is the effect on sound quality?

Mike

I should think it will be a very noticeable improvement when done ... But as the foam deteriorated slowly over time ...a lot harder to spot unless you have a perfect pair to compare against ( highly unlikely) 

So for the money involved .. probably best just to do it if you plan on keeping for any length of time

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by tonyi
iiyama posted:

My NAIM ALLAE interior foam damping pads disintegrated upon touch !!

After the mild panic i found the thread and contacted Guy at Puresound who sorted me out 6 new pads in quick time.

You can purchase these pads via a certain auction site for £75

Great service and highly recommended 

Glad to see someone has used Guy as he was talking about using them for something else. Did they fit very well as they are cut for the SBL. and they used two pieces for each speaker. I'm not sure where he got the idea for a total of six pieces. 

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by Guy Sergeant

It would seem that 3 are needed per each Allae whereas only 2 are needed per each SBL.

When i removed the pads from the Allaes they both had x 3 pads in them, i purchased them from new.

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by Paiste2oo2

When I retorqued the bass drivers on my Allaes I found the black foam in perfect shape. No disintegration whatsoever. Looks as if there are Allaes around that don't suffer from this...

Interestingly only one of the speakers had this issue although the other was starting to breakdown. 

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by mike_g

How do you remove the mid/bass driver without damaging anything?  Had a quick try this morning after removing the bolts but the driver seems stuck solid

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by Paiste2oo2

No need to remove any bolts - in fact I'd refrain from even trying. All you need to do is unplug the mid/bass cabinet and lift it from the remaining speaker cabinet. Inside it you'll find the black foam (or its remains).

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by Richard Dane

You need to be careful here as the sealant can stick the driver solidly to the cabinet.  Make sure you are in a warm room. It's worth using a slightly oversized bolt to "grab" the thread of the bolt holes in the basket.  If in doubt, get it done by someone who knows what they're doing - try your Naim dealer - as it's otherwise easy to damage the cabinets and or the veneer.

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by Paiste2oo2

Richard, are you referring to SBLs only or is removing the bass/mid drivers necessary on Allaes too if one wants to change the black foam pads? Thanks for the clarification (I'm thinking about replacing the black foam pads before they eventually deteriorate).

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by Richard Dane

Paiste, I'm referring to removal of the drive units from the cabinet - refers to any Naim speaker.  

As to what is required regarding foam replacement, I would defer to Naim's recommendation, and get it done by someone who knows.  I've never done it myself, so couldn't advise here.