N-Sub in a music system

Posted by: Manu on 20 November 2004

What will be the Naim's prefered connection of the upcomming Sub in say a Reference Serie system?
From the Hicap/Supercap? won't a 4 m cable affect the system?
From the NAP with a set of wires paralel to the NACA5?
From a new interface box?
Mods, please give us some clues.

Emmanuel
Euphonie

All opinions are my own, and reflect those of the organisation i work for, even if not stipulated.

[This message was edited by Manu on Sun 21 November 2004 at 5:17.]
Posted on: 21 November 2004 by J.N.
Emmanuel;

I'm sure like me, you've had a paddle around the Naim web-site for this information without success?

I realise that the n-sub is just getting off the blocks, but the info available is errrr..... sketchy.

The frequency response is quoted at 30 - 200 hz. That can't be right?

John.
Posted on: 21 November 2004 by hungryhalibut
As I understand it you can either run the long interconnect from the supercap to the sub, or run the speaker leads to the sub, and then another pair on to the main speakers.

Nigel
Posted on: 21 November 2004 by andy c
Hi,
Just to echo the thirst for more info.

In order to consider the N-sub the umbilical between it and the hi-cap(or supercap2) will have to be about 4 to 5 metres in my room too.

I dare bet we may have to consider a custom made chord cable for example..

I have read that sub performance is better from the pre out rather than speakers. The N-sup is equipped with multiple inputs tho, so you can wire in a processor and the pre seperate, with a selector on the front display to flip between the inputs - with the obvious bonus that whatever cutoff you set for each input is saved etc

andy c!
Posted on: 21 November 2004 by MarkLamble
quote:
Originally posted by J.N.:
The frequency response is quoted at 30 - 200 hz. That can't be right?

John.

I sincerely hope not !!!! My PMC OB1s go down to 22Hz Big Grin and according to the micro site it's also 940mm tall Eek
Posted on: 21 November 2004 by Allan Probin
My guess is that it may depend on the application. In an AV system (especially with a sub-sat arrangement), the low-level sub-out from the surround processor gives the correctly tailored response for integrating with the high pass filtered output to the satellites. In a music system, it's generally better for the sub to 'see' the same signal as the speakers.

If you use your system for AV and music duties I'm not sure. Perhaps both connection sets will be permanently wired-up and the sub switched to use one or the other as appropriate.

Allan
Posted on: 21 November 2004 by Manu
In an AV system, no problems, you connect it via the sub output of your pre/pro.
But in a music system?
It has presets so you can set it up differently for AV and music.
Specs are given at -3db, 30Hz is very good. It is a closed box so the low frequency slope is slow.
In a high end stereo music system, will it be better to use an other power amp to drive the long cable, thus preventing any interferences with the Left and Right signals? can we use a headline to do so? Or this model is not targeted to this level of system?
You all have understood my intention: to use SL2s far from the rear wall to get the huge soundstage they are able to produce and to assist them with a Sub to compensate for the bass and autority lost of such a placement.

Emmanuel
Euphonie

All opinions are my own, and reflect those of the organisation i work for, even if not stipulated.
Posted on: 21 November 2004 by Martin Payne
quote:
Originally posted by Manu:

You all have understood my intention: to use SL2s far from the rear wall to get the huge soundstage they are able to produce and to assist them with a Sub to compensate for the bass and autority lost of such a placement.

Manu,

nah, they'll sound awful. Exactly the way they currently sound away-from-the-wall, but with some sub-bass rumbling away underneath.

cheers, Martin

E-mail:- MartinPayne (at) Dial.Pipex.com. Put "Naim" in the title.
Posted on: 21 November 2004 by Johns Naim
Hmmm

A quoted extension of -3db (I assume in-room) is good for music (no doubt taut fast and tuneful bass with music) but IMHO a little disappointing for HT/AV use.

Ideally one wants true infrasonics in HT to give bass one feels as much as hears.

Just a mild criticism.

Perhaps Naim may have other/bigger subs etc in the pipeline.

Would be nice.. Big Grin

Cheers

John... Cool

This is my last upgrade.... after this my system will be finished...:-)
Posted on: 22 November 2004 by Geoff P
I guess it's the "In corner" response that really counts. -3db at 30Hz could become 20Hz if sited at a corner location. I gather it's a sealed box which is good news for musicality.

"Just trying to make a NAIM for myself"
Posted on: 22 November 2004 by andy c
quote:
nah, they'll sound awful. Exactly the way they currently sound away-from-the-wall, but with some sub-bass rumbling away underneath.

My SL2's are 7" from the rear wall, they sound good due to a bass issue I have with my room. I think this particular test will be subjective and room dependant - home demo a necessity then?!?

andy c!