Roy Harper, Lifelong Companions and First Live Concert Experiences

Posted by: Dobbin on 12 December 2000

Just browsing through the posts and saw in a member's profile a reference to Roy Harper. Thought I'd see how many of you like/dislike the old chap.

I first heard Harper played by Alan Freeman in the '70's and my first concert ever was Harper at Newcastle City Hall when I was the tender age of 13. I recall that he was playing an electric set, his band being Black Sheep. Chris Spedding was on guitar that night if I remember rightly.

Anyway Harper has been a companion ever since, fantastic gigs in the Workroom at Warwick University and Sheffield Leadmill in the early '80's, to a brilliant outdoor do at someting called the Sussex and Good Festival maybe 8 years ago. (Weird event in a field in the middle of nowhere - in Sussex.) I was at the concert when they filmed Once. I've seen the film Made a few times too many! My wife is now a fan. There are a few song of his which mark some special points in our lives together. I'm very pleased to say Harper has been great company over the years.

These days Roy is often, (when gigging), to be seen with son Nick, who I can heartily recommend. He is truly a fantastic guitarist and the album Seed is, imho, truly superb.

For those who may be interested Roy Harper is to celebrate his 60th birthday in concert at the Royal Festival Hall on June 10, 2001. infRoy Harper Web

I'd be keen to hear of your musical companions...

Posted on: 13 December 2000 by Stewart Cooper
David,

Like you, I thank "Fluff" for introducing me to Roy Harper. Recently my interest was reawakened by acquiring his superb (1971) album, Stormcock. I presume you have this?

Stewart. d