Richard Thompson

Posted by: Top Cat on 03 January 2001

Hi folks,

I saw RT live in concert in Edinburgh for the second time in my life a week ago. The gig was amazing, as I remembered it had been the first time. I'm especially a big fan of his guitarwork.

However, to date I haven't been able to find a decent recorded introduction to the man and his music that didn't sound somehow 'wrong'. I'm thinking mainly of his acoustic work rather than the electric work, and I'd appreciate any fans out there pointing me in the right direction.

John

PS. FWIW, I have ordered a new LP copy of "Mock Tudor" on a recommendation, but it's yet to materialise.

Posted on: 03 January 2001 by calum scott
John,

I saw RT myself a few months ago, solo in Aberdeen, and he was on fine form, definitely the best I've seen him. Great music and a great rapport with the very enthusiastic crowd. (Getting a crowd enthusiastic in Aberdeen is a feat in itself as you've probably heard.)

I also have difficulty finding recordings which hit the spot. The Richard and Linda period discs recommended by Stephen are fine and Mock Tudor is excellent, you won't be disappointed. Have you considered the 3CD retrospective set "Watching the Dark" sounds like it might be just what you're looking for. I bought it after the last concert and can recommend it.

BTW the best price I found for the set was from A&B Sound in Canada! Think it was about GBP18.

Cheers,

Calum

Posted on: 03 January 2001 by Peter Litwack
I'm a big fan too. My favorite is "I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight" w/ his ex-wife, Linda, from 1974. "Calvary Cross" is an awesome cut, especially if your kit is up to the dynamics of the opening intro. Also definitely worth checking out is the tribute album "The World is a Wonderful Place" (Green Linnet label), which has many awesome cuts, e.g. "I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight" beautifully interpretted by Ron Kavana, "Wheely Down", "How Can I Be Simple Again", etc. More recently, "Mirror Blue" is quite good, especially "Mingus Eyes", and, for a ripping guitar solo, "You're Gonna Give Yourself Away". Enjoy!
Posted on: 04 January 2001 by Mike Hanson
My cousin is a big fan, so he took me to see Richard Thompson play live in a mid-sized club (the Pheonix) here in Toronto. I was suprised to be rather bored and unimpressed. It seemed to be merely raucous rock'n'roll, with drawn-out, pointless guitar solos. There didn't seem to be much intelligence in the music.

That's strange, as most reports that I've heard claim that he's great, especially live. I will admit that I'm not generally a lover of live rock'n'roll. Rock events are almost always disappointing compared to the original recording (whether it's the sound, the playing, or the ambience). Jazz and Folk are usually the other way around, while Classical is usually a toss-up,

My cousin suggests that I purchase one of Richard Thompson's albums, but I've been holding out. If I did, it would probablly be "Mock Tudor". Is there another one that would be better? Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Posted on: 04 January 2001 by calum scott
Mike,

I agree to some extent that RT's live electric shows don't do him justice. Although I have friends who would disagree with that.

His accoustic gigs are way better and really show what an outstanding song writer and guitar player he is.

Do youself favour and get Mock Tudor.

Calum