best interconnect between macbook and supernait

Posted by: u5227470736789454 on 05 October 2008

Hi,
Can you advise me what the best method (and cable) for connecting a macbook to a Supernait for using the macbook as my sole music source. I am going to audition the set-up next week and would like to ensure that I have the cables required etc
There was a recent post on this ( I think it was JS from Promusica ?)but it got pulled before I could get to reading it fully
Thanks as always
Barrie
Posted on: 05 October 2008 by james n
Chord Optichord. Well made and has the correct mini toslink connector for the Macbook end so you dont need an adapter.

James
Posted on: 05 October 2008 by QTT
Does the Chord Optichord cable use real glass fiber optics?
Posted on: 06 October 2008 by u5227470736789454
Thanks for the advice, I just wonder how does the Optichord compare to the Wireworld Supernove 5+ ?

Barrie
Posted on: 06 October 2008 by nap-ster
I've tried a few and there really isn't much sound difference if any.

I'm currently running an Acoustic Research mini TOS to TOS I bought on a well known auction site for about a tenner. Well made and fits snugly.
Posted on: 06 October 2008 by Steve S1
quote:
Originally posted by QTT:
Does the Chord Optichord cable use real glass fiber optics?

I don't think it does. From all the Chord blurb there is no mention of it. I can't help feeling that there would be.

I am unsure as to whether glass is any better than well made POV, I certainly have not heard the proverbial gnat's crotchet of a difference in those. But I will be trying 'glass v POV' later in the week.

Glass has not been that easy to find.

Steve
Posted on: 06 October 2008 by Mickyblueyes
I'm currently using 2 QED optical interconnects, one has the 3.5mm adapter for my MacBook Pro or AE, the other for a 'cheap' DVDP as an interim transport to play actual CD's and they both seem to work fine.
Posted on: 08 October 2008 by connon price
I am on the verge of doing some of this testing for my own experience. I have only used the Optichord mini-tos to tos at the shop but it has been suggested with some certainty that getting the bitstream to the Supernait via firewire connection to an konnekt8 then digital coax cable into the Supernait is a better route. Correct me if that is off the mark.

I will order an konnekt8 and report my findings somewhere around here sometime.

Isn't this exciting?
Posted on: 13 October 2008 by djftw
You can keep going too, I caught a local dealer trying out an optical network connection between their server and various network players as a customer had reported an improvement over cat5!
Posted on: 17 October 2008 by winkyincanada
quote:
Originally posted by connon price:
I am on the verge of doing some of this testing for my own experience. I have only used the Optichord mini-tos to tos at the shop but it has been suggested with some certainty that getting the bitstream to the Supernait via firewire connection to an konnekt8 then digital coax cable into the Supernait is a better route. Correct me if that is off the mark.

Isn't this exciting?

Yes, in a sort-of geeky way. Nevertheless, please post findings. (Is "k" the new "c"?)
Posted on: 18 October 2008 by ferenc
quote:
Originally posted by connon price:

Isn't this exciting?

Do not forget to try the Konnekt powered from its own power supply and bus powered from the Firewire port of the PC/Mac. You easily can hear quite relevant difference.
Posted on: 18 October 2008 by js
quote:
Originally posted by baz100:
Hi,
Can you advise me what the best method (and cable) for connecting a macbook to a Supernait for using the macbook as my sole music source. I am going to audition the set-up next week and would like to ensure that I have the cables required etc
There was a recent post on this ( I think it was JS from Promusica ?)but it got pulled before I could get to reading it fully
Thanks as always
Barrie
If it was my post it would definitely have had to do with a TC Konnekt 8, firewire and coax dig cable but I use a PC as I like ASIO access from the media player though the MAC is not too bad without it as long as you get away from the internal dig out.

I wasn't aware that mediamonkey was winamp based and had available asio plugins. After some buffer adjustments, I'm preferring it to what I was using as an ease of use portable player. Still use Wavelab which builds a peak file before playback(long) when I want things at their best from the PC and listen to the HDX/555 when I'm truely serious about stored music.