Help please - lost sound from DVD

Posted by: MichaelC on 04 September 2005

This afternoon I put a DVD on for the children. No sound. I tried another DVD and again no sound.

I have the following:

Rotel - RDV 1080 (DVD)
Rotel - RSX 972 (receiver)
Loewe Aconda
Energy speakers
Sky+

No matter what I tried I could get no sound from the DVD through the speakers. As a matter of set up I do not use the internal Loewe speakers. I enabled the internal Loewe speakers and I could hear the sound. Yet disabling the internal Loewee speakers again and I could hear no sound.

I tried the Sky+ box, no problem. Sound from the speakers.

I have read and re-read the Rotel manuals and have checked all the connections and they seem to be secure.

The connectins from the DVD player, if they are any help, are:

Analog out - front left, front right, centre
Component video - Y, Cb, Cr

The Analag out and Component video leads are all part of a single connection by way of Scart to the Loewe scart input.

And then there is the Coaxial from the DVD to the receiver.

My logic suggests that there may be something wrong with the Coaxial connection. Is it a set up issue via the receiver or is it a matter of a loose connection related to the cable. Or am I missing something obvious.

Help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Posted on: 05 September 2005 by arf005
Michael,

have you tried the old 'hard reset' ie. power everything down, completely not just stand-by, leave for a few seconds and power up again... Bit of a long shot but sometimes works.

Other than that, a trawl through the dvd menu's could reveal a setting that is not quite what it should be....but then it would have had to be changed in the first place! Also, you may have done this already....

It's a strange one seeing as you are getting sound from other sources....

If the 1080 is anything like my 1060, which I think it is, you could try the ananlog stereo output via a coupe of interconnects, set it up as the output/input on the dvd/receiver menus, chuck in a cd and see if you get sound...

Thing is if you do get sound, then what....and if you don't.....well, a call to your dealer either way could be in order......

Sorry, but hope this helps....

Cheers
Ali
Posted on: 05 September 2005 by Greggles
Have you tried using a digital audio conection between DVD player and receiver?
Posted on: 05 September 2005 by Dicks Egypt
I have also had problems with some discs using analog output of the DVD5. This is since software upgrade. Naim are looking into this for me. I have sent them one of the offending disc's. Hope this helps
Posted on: 06 September 2005 by MichaelC
Thanks for the help. Upon further investigation it would appear that little fingers had been playing with a remote control and had changed the audio input settings for the dvd. Now rectified.

Thanks

Mike
Posted on: 07 September 2005 by arf005
The audio inputs on the RSX-972 can be renamed.....not sure if you know....

I renamed mine DVD, PS2, VCR from Video 1/2/3 etc etc so they are easily seen on the receiver display...

Hope this helps for future reference, or problem solving....

Cheers,
Ali
Posted on: 07 September 2005 by MichaelC
Thanks for that.