Beers'n'Tunes at Promusica, Chicago

Posted by: jon h on 15 October 2008

I have posted to the main forum (now - Padded Cell) regarding the plan we had for meeting up next week at Pro Musica in Chicago. Just a small reminder.

jon
Posted on: 15 October 2008 by js
Jon, great news. You can contact me at js95@sbcglobal.net and I'll make sure that we set up whatever you'd like to compare. I can do pre rips and encoding etc. if you like so things go quickly. I'm sure the guys at NANA would be willing to visit. I'll speak with Dave and Chris.
Posted on: 15 October 2008 by jon h
quote:
Originally posted by js:
Jon, great news. You can contact me at js95@sbcglobal.net and I'll make sure that we set up whatever you'd like to compare. I can do pre rips and encoding etc. if you like so things go quickly. I'm sure the guys at NANA would be willing to visit. I'll speak with Dave and Chris.

Hi there -- I emailed the shop directly too, as a matter of courtesy Smile

I will bring over some hidef stuff that we (me and Tony Faulkner) have been playing to salisbury. I met Chris at the dealer event in San Fran some months ago, it would be nice to make Dave's acquaintance too.
Posted on: 15 October 2008 by Exiled Highlander
Bugger it....the posse descends on Chicago and I'm stuck in an office on bloody Euston Road! Frown

Have a beer for me.

Jim
Posted on: 15 October 2008 by jon h
Sorry bout that

I'll also bring the airplug rev1 and airplug rev2 "GT" versions of 453ohms resistance too, if you have a superline, aro and dynavector to hand.

There was a forum member in LA who wanted to hear the airplugs too, if i remember right?
Posted on: 15 October 2008 by js
quote:
Originally posted by jon honeyball:
Sorry bout that

I'll also bring the airplug rev1 and airplug rev2 "GT" versions of 453ohms resistance too, if you have a superline, aro and dynavector to hand.

There was a forum member in LA who wanted to hear the airplugs too, if i remember right?
We do. Have an original Troika that was stashed for some time also so if you've got 1kohms that would work too.
Posted on: 16 October 2008 by Paul Stephenson
over some hidef stuff that we (me and Tony Faulkner) have been playing

I think you will find that Ken has one or two of his own which will blow you away Jon.
Posted on: 16 October 2008 by jon h
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Stephenson:

I think you will find that Ken has one or two of his own which will blow you away Jon.

I'm hoping so! :-) :-) :-)

Just wont have time to sort out any of my Royer SF24 ribbon recordings by then, unforch.
Posted on: 16 October 2008 by js
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Stephenson:

I'm hoping so! :-) :-) :-)

Just wont have time to sort out any of my Royer SF24 ribbon recordings by then, unforch.
Looks like we'll have a NANA contingent. Oh, and Happy B, Paul. Big Grin
Posted on: 16 October 2008 by jon h
Super news! Looking forward to it immensely

oh, and paul didnt mention an impending increase in our age gap on monday... lol lol lol lol
Posted on: 17 October 2008 by Paul Stephenson
thanks jon, and john, the big 55
Posted on: 17 October 2008 by jon h
I'll bring you a cake when I get back from the trip :-)
Posted on: 23 October 2008 by jon h
What a great place! and what great people -- the crew from promusica, the chaps from nana and the customers who came along! We chatted and listened for four solid hours from 4-8pm. Big thanks, and it was great to put faces to naims Smile

jon
Posted on: 23 October 2008 by JonR
Lucky lucky jon - I bet ProMusica's a great place. It would be good to meet some American Naimees one day!
Posted on: 23 October 2008 by Peter Williams - Ainm Eile
Jon

Slightly off topic but I thought I should mention that many of the recordings I have done for the NAIM label feature my Royer SF12 in many 'high visibility' parts of the multitrack recordings. Along with my treasured Fostex printed ribbon mics too of course, and Crookwood Paintpot M/S mic pre's.

Also, what was the feeling about the listening session? Any discoveries?

Cheers

Peter
Posted on: 23 October 2008 by js
The pleasure was all ours, Jon. Thanks for the listen to some very interesting software. Winker
Too bad we were having so much fun that you ran out of time for that beer. Be well.

I think all will be fond of Airplugs. It's the only comparison we did and it took but a moment to know these are good.
Yes, next time we will do beer and food too -- but at least we clearly have our priorities correct, by spending the available time in the listening room :-)

SF12 -- wonderful mic -- i love my sf24. i saw the new Nagra 6 yesterday. *seriously* impressed with the work Ken has done with that. I *have* to get one I think. Which definitely means no to Yet Another Cheap Dac (aka lavry!)
Nagra 6 is 7500 dollars.

Regarding the lavry, I make no apology for not participating in the love-in for this item. It is what it is - a perfectly nice low-end dac box. Thats all. No mystery, no magic, no huge oh-my-god breakthrough. As they would say here in Illinois, "like durrrr".

I really cannot work out the fixation that some have with it. But thats my view, and no-one has to take any note of it.

<shrugs>

As for "*Seriously* I reckon you are dismissing the Lavry all too quickly and all too *cheaply*" -- please get a grip. I've heard it at UHES. I've heard another one in my system. What is it going to do on a third listen? Sprout wings and fly around the room?
Posted on: 23 October 2008 by JonR
quote:
Regarding the lavry, I make no apology for not participating in the love-in for this item. It is what it is - a perfectly nice low-end dac box. Thats all. No mystery, no magic, no huge oh-my-god breakthrough. As they would say here in Illinois, "like durrrr".

I really cannot work out the fixation that some have with it. But thats my view, and no-one has to take any note of it.

<shrugs>

As for "*Seriously* I reckon you are dismissing the Lavry all too quickly and all too *cheaply*" -- please get a grip. I've heard it at UHES. I've heard another one in my system. What is it going to do on a third listen? Sprout wings and fly around the room?

Top post. It's good to see that common sense still prevails around here amongst some members.
Sorry, I'm not going to engage in a game of wordplay.
Posted on: 23 October 2008 by ferenc
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Williams - Ainm Eile:
Jon

Slightly off topic but I thought I should mention that many of the recordings I have done for the NAIM label feature my Royer SF12 in many 'high visibility' parts of the multitrack recordings. Along with my treasured Fostex printed ribbon mics too of course, and Crookwood Paintpot M/S mic pre's.

Also, what was the feeling about the listening session? Any discoveries?

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,

Anyway to learn what recordings were done with the help of the Royer SF-12? I have SF-24, R-121, 122 but not SF-12 and I know the majority of the Naim CDs quite well. So I wonder... :-)
If you had read what I posted before on this matter, you will know I *already* have Apogee, 2 x Focusrite, MOTU, MAudio etc etc dacs/adcs.

There was a temptation to have yet another, but I'm putting the money towards something more relevant to my needs like the Nagra 6.
Posted on: 23 October 2008 by kuma
FWIW, the Lavry makes more upmarket DA converter at around 8k$US. ( should be a fairer comparison to the Nagra )
the nagra is a 6 channel digital recorder :-)
Posted on: 23 October 2008 by kuma
Ah.. ok.

They, at least, should do *that* well for their name sake.
Posted on: 23 October 2008 by Patrick F
kuma you spelled name wrong.

nice to meet you jon. for the short time i was there you had some pretty insightful things to say.

cheers