CDS-PS with CDX

Posted by: Martin Payne on 12 September 2000

I've been offered an ex-dem CDS-PS with grey Burndy for use with my CDX.

Has anyone directly compared the CDS-PS with the XPS on a CDX (or even a CDS-II)?

Has anyone bought, or sold, or intend to sell a CDS-PS? What did you pay / ask?

I seem to remember a comment some time ago from someone that the big caps in the power supplies can dry out if left boxed for a while. Is this likely to be a problem?

Also, can someone confirm if the pinouts on a CDS-PS burndy would be different for a CDX & a CDS-II.

Thanks for your help, Martin

Posted on: 12 September 2000 by andrew jameson
I sold my CDS-PS for £500 in excahange for an XPS which I felt was pretty good although probably only fair given the vast wads of cash that i've handed over recently ... I have to say that i have been super thrilled by the whole (CDS1 to 2) upgrade process I would ascribe 70% to the head unit and the balance to the XPS although it is tricky to tell given that the head unit seemed to be improving daily.

It has been said before but the CDS2 is exceptional and a MAJOR advance over the 1 good though that player is ... for me the the CDS upgrade was of similar stature to an earlier CD2 to CDS1 move ... I've ascribed my points in the relevant thread

andy

Posted on: 12 September 2000 by Martin Payne
Thanks Andrew,

I remembered your previous thread, but couldn't find it when I searched earlier today.

How old was your CDS-PS when you traded it in? If I remember, it also had a black burndy?

cheers, Martin

Posted on: 13 September 2000 by andrew jameson
I'm not entirely sure of its vintage (i bought it totally mint SH) about a year ago but i don't think that it is any older than 4 years ... the serial number is circa 115k.You're right ... It did have the black burndy with it.

I've p/exed it with Auditorium in London. If you want it, call Derek Jenkins at Auditorium he may be happy to find a home for it.

Regards

Andy

Posted on: 13 September 2000 by Tomas Östlund
quote:
. If you want it, call Derek Jenkins at Auditorium he may be happy to find a home for it.

Andy

What is the number ?

/Tomas

Posted on: 14 September 2000 by John L.
Hi Guys,
I have just had my four year old CDS converted to a CDS2.I have only had it back for about a week but wow what a difference! At present I am using it with my old CDPS via the modified Burndy and it is making magical sounds. So much so that I have now ordered an XPS.I did this, after first talking to Mark Tucker,for a number of reasons.Firstly it means that the new XPS will complement the CDS2 with new electronics and allow me to wring the most out of it.( I am seriously considering changing from SBL to DBL in the near future)I have a second system that has, as it's source, a CDX and Mark tells me that the CDPS can indeed be used to power it.He informs me that my modified Burndy will need to be modified yet again to do this.I hope this is of some help.

John

Posted on: 20 September 2000 by Martin Payne
'Rider,

I have now received my CDS-PS in the post.

I have received conflicting advice about whether a CDS-II/CDS-PS burndy can also be used safely with a CDX/CDS-PS.

Auditorium were told last week that no change was required. Naim told me this morning that it could lead to a 'catastrophic' problem.

<Sigh>. Obviously, I'm going to send the lead off to be changed.

There is obviously some major difference between the internal setup of the XPS and the CDS-PS. I'd be fascinated to find out what it is. Can anyone from Naim comment?

Martin

Posted on: 20 September 2000 by Mike Hanson
I'm fairly certain that the burndy must be rewired. Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Smilies do not a forum make.

Posted on: 20 September 2000 by John L.
Hi Martin,

I can only reiterate what Mark Tucker told me when I enquired specificaly if the CDPS could be used to drive the CDX. He said that it could but, the black Burndy cable I bought for use with CDS/CDPS that they had modified when the CDS was converted to CDS2, would have to be modified again to enable me to use the CDPS with my CDX.I am still awaiting delivery of my XPS before I send off my Burndy for modification.It would be good if this confusion could be cleared up by the guys at NAIM.

Posted on: 28 September 2000 by Martin Payne
Mr Rider,

at the Hammersmith show on Sunday Doug Graham was adamant that CDPS/CDX & CDPS/CDS-II Burndys are the same!

I have a Burndy marked "CDPS / CDSII". It will be an interesting experiment when I get around to powering a CDX with this!

cheers, Martin

P.S. I note from the manual that CDS-I's before s/no 75985 are different from later ones, and 'serious damage may result' if mixing the two variants of CDS-I & CDPS. This is even more complicated than I thought.

Posted on: 28 September 2000 by Arthur Bye
Martin:

I wrote Dave Dever at Nana last month about upgrading my CDS1 to a CDS2 and also upgrading the Burndy cable.

I also have a CDX/XPS and told him that I wanted to swap the XPS for the CDS1-PS and use it to power the CDX.

He indicated that there is no problem here. Once the Burndy cable is upgraded the CDSPS is a slightly scaled down XPS and can be used on either unit with no further modification.

I was left with the impression that no change was needed to the Burndy if I was to switch the CDSPS from the CDX to the CDS2.

I'll check my email to see if I can find a post on this.

Arthur By

Posted on: 29 September 2000 by Martin Payne
Arthur,

I called Naim UK's service dept today and checked this out.

They went through to the head of the design department who confirmed that the CDPS / CDSII burndy is the same as the CDPS / CDX lead.

cheers, Martin

Posted on: 29 September 2000 by Arthur Bye
Martin:

Thanks: I went thru my email to Dave Dever and saw that I did not ask that specific question to him. He just said that I could use it with either the CDS2 or the CDX with the CDS-PS after the mods, but made no mention of changing the Burndy to do so.

Arthur Bye