Mini Systems Revisited

Posted by: Edot on 26 August 2000

A recent move finds me with my Naim kit (102,hi,180,cdx)in storage and me on the other coast musicless. I'm thinking a quick fix would be to pick up a mini system. What were the model #s of the JVCs that a few found acceptable on the old forum? J&R in NY has JVC FS-MD9000 minis for $300.
Posted on: 26 August 2000 by Ron Toolsie
The one in question was the FS-1000, available at that time for $300 (i.e. less than the price of a Burndy cable). I lived with one of those minisystems in a hotel room while I was without my sixpack one (actually, I wasn't QUITE without it...all of the electronics were lying in a mute pile on the carpet, but not hooked up as the DBLs were not lugged in to join them) for about 3 months. The JVC has a lot going for it apart from the cheap price. Believe it or not it does P,R&T very well- much better than far more ambitious components. I don't know what the FSMD-9000 system is and how it compares to the FS-1000 system, but a quick listen should tell you if it is up to snuff.

Ron
Dum spiro audio
Dum audio vivo

http://homepages.go.com/~rontoolsie/index1.html

Posted on: 27 August 2000 by Mike Hanson
The FS2000 (discontinued) is also very good, as is the FS7000 (follow-up to the 2000). Yes, it does PRaT very well. Don't expect tonal accuracy, though. Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Smilies do not a forum make.

Posted on: 29 August 2000 by Phil Sparks
If you don't mind checking out 2nd hand stuff howabout looking at a 2nd hand Nait mk1 (they go for around £150 here in UK) or a 2nd hand Creek (say £100 or less), paired with a CD walkman and 2nd hand pair of Rega Kytes (work well on the £20 rega wall brackets)- a bit more cash than the mini system but so much better, and you get a CD walkman for free and when you get your real system back you've got something pretty good for the kitchen/bedroom.

Alternatively - Warfedale used to do a pair of active diamonds for not too much cash - I always thought these with a walkman pro woud be the grooviest ghetoblaster!
Phil

Posted on: 29 August 2000 by Edot
I picked up a cheap Nait 2, have portable cd & md. So all I need is some speakers. With the Naits meager 15 watts I would think they would have to be very sensitive, say upper 90's. Any recommendations? Some of the small pro Tannoy monitors caught my eye but I've not had the chance to listen to them.
Posted on: 29 August 2000 by Rico
Ed

your concerns about sensitivity should be discarded. Both the Nait I and Nait II are regular demonic powerhouses next to the (higher power-rated) competition. With a strong source, many are still driving Kan I's on the Nait I... perhaps not ideal in system balance terms, but very workable nonetheless.

Try Rega Kytes, Royd A7X etc.

Rico - musichead

ricomuzik@hotmail.com

Posted on: 29 August 2000 by Mike Hanson
I would actually suggest against purchasing the A7X as a main speaker. Although they're pretty good for cheap speakers (their speed is probably their best trait), they are somewhat colored. If you're considering Royds, you're better to look for used Merlins, Edens or Envoys. These can be found near the same price as new A7Xs, and they are distintly superior.

My sister has purchased my A7Xs from me. (They are much better than her old Boston Acoustics.) When it comes time to setup my HT system, I'll need to get some rear channel speakers. I'll try to pick up a set of used Merlins or Edens. If I can't find any, then I'll may end up getting another set of the A7Xs, since rear channel use their official purpose (according to Royd). Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Smilies do not a forum make.

Posted on: 30 August 2000 by Phil Sparks
I'd agree with the above recommendation for Rega Kytes. I've got a pair on the end of a Nait 2 in the bedroom and they work a treat. They're not as good as the kans in my main system but much more forgiving of positioning, stands etc. In fact I got the little rega brackets with them (cost about £20 from memory) which seem a bit lightweight but do the job. I got the last pair of kytes in the shop about a year ago and my dealer thought the replacement by rega (can't remember the name) was nowhere near as good so you'll proably have to check out the 2nd hand supplies.

Phil