Get rid of that CRT!!!

Posted by: andy c on 27 January 2005

HI,
having spent the best part of 2 months erring and arring over what to do about changing TV's in the main room, we finally took delivery of the Philips 32PF9986 LCD TV. It replaced a Toshiba 32" widescreen CTR TV.

Picture quality on the Philips is 1st rate - and no doubt will get even better when fed by a DVI enabled DVD player. I feel its sharper, & with better blacks than the CRT.

But the most noticeable thing is the Naim 2 channel kit's sound has changed. I had the Tosh in between my SL2's.

Now it's gone to be replaced by a flat screen the 2 channel instantly has more air and depth to the sound (front to back - can place sounds much better now).

So, a bit of a double upgrade achieved.

Only problem is my Yamaha Processor packed up at the same time as the LCD was installed! Bugger! Still It owes me nothing, and I'll replace it tomorrow...

regards

andy c!
Posted on: 27 January 2005 by Jay
quote:
Originally posted by andy c:
I had the Tosh in between my SL2's.

What did your dealer say when you told him where you were going to put your new SL2's?

Jay

PS time to buy an AV2 Andy...
Posted on: 27 January 2005 by andy c
Hi Jay,
it was a compromise situation, as usual. To be fair, my dealer suggested tweaking the positioning of the sl2's and got/get good results out of them where they are now...

I'm not buying an AV2 - too expensive - It will prob be a Denon or similar, as I want to save the diff in price between the two for a supercap 2!

regards

andy c!
Posted on: 27 January 2005 by Jay
quote:
Originally posted by andy c:
To be fair, my dealer suggested tweaking the positioning of the sl2's

I bet he did Winker

quote:
I'm not buying an AV2 - too expensive - It will prob be a Denon or similar, as I want to save the diff in price between the two for a supercap 2!

It's good though....not even a home dem?

Jay
Posted on: 27 January 2005 by Roy Donaldson
Andy,

You do know Loud & Clear in Glasgow are selling their ex-dem AV2 off at a good price at the moment ? :-)

Roy.
Posted on: 16 February 2005 by Adrian F.
Yes - Do get rid of CRT's in between front speakers!

I recently swapped my Sony KV-32FD1E to a Sharp LC-45GD1E. The CRT was deeper and stood out more into the room than the DBL's. So I suppose it "separated" the two channels spatially.
The LCD is behind the front of the speakers and therefore out of the way. The music is now less "out of 2 boxes", more the "wall of sound" kind. I like it very much!

I would also take some magnetic influences into account. The picture of the CRT had slight geometric flaws because of the big 15" woofers on both sides. In the top corners where teared down so you could see blue lines there... As magnetism works both ways, the CRT could also influence the speakers badly?

Since there is a small open kitchen in the back right of the room, I always have to shift the balance to the right. This effect has weakend too. I don't have to shift it as far as before.

Of course it gives you some room space back, and it looks much better too Winker Even when switched off. So much for the WAF (if it still counts with DBL's?!)

Can't wait to get HDTV around here to tickle that screens full HD resolution. The demo with 1080i was very impressive. You had to approach <1m to see pixels. The scaler in the external AVC box does a good job, but with SDTV you need >3m distance to have a decent picture.

happy watching
Adrian
Posted on: 16 February 2005 by karyboue
quote:
I recently swapped my Sony KV-32FD1E

Hi,

Same TV.
I should keep that TV untill march 06 because I want to wait for my town to receive the new French terrestrial numeric broadcasting meaning new inboard tuner.

Haven't you tried the DVD5 on the DB15 RGB/HV input of the TV ?
For the moment, I use a DVD player connected to a PC deinterlacing/scalling the image and sending it to the TV in RGB/HV, it really rocks but it is not practical at all.
Posted on: 16 February 2005 by Adrian F.
Hi karyboue!

It is a nice TV, one of the best at it's time. I still like to have a monitor-design with slim borders around the picture and speakers you could take away (which has the Sharp too).
I played around with the VGA input and a notebook when I had it new. But when I remember the manual right, it scales all higher resolutions down to 640x480? Never tried this input for video demands.
To me, computers as we have them today are good for the office, but I would not want one in my living room... Specialized consumer electronic ones like the TV-Server from FAST are an exeption.

Unfortunately I don't have a DVD5 Frown but I will look at it closer later, when the scaler board is out and I can have a proper demo. For now I use a Sony DVP-NS 900 QS over Scart RBG interlaced. I bought it, because he had no switched mode powersupply and you could take out the UOP's (User operations prohibited).
http://forums.naim-audio.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/78019385/m/28310182

My next one will have progressive scan and digital picture outputs for sure!

Greetings
Adrian
Posted on: 17 February 2005 by karyboue
Hi Adrian,

I also like the very simple look of that set.
The VGA input accepts 640*480 with frequencies between 56->75hz and 800*600 @ 56->75hz.
But it also accepts 720*576 but @60hz only. In that case, the geometry must be tweeked in the service menu.
In the manual, the DVD5 is said to be VGA compatible ... which means ? I guess it downscales to 640*480 ?
The image is so much better, deeper and fluid with a progressive RGB/HV signal that the downscaling is not that much a loss.

I use a computer because two years ago I had not much choice. There where two problems to solve : 60hz and anamorphic image (widen by the TV). Now the situation is different with affordable external scalers like for exemple the Cinemateq optimizer that sends any resolution you want @ 60hz.

I should know by next week with a demo if the Sony VGA input is "compatible" with the DVD5.
Posted on: 20 February 2005 by gusi
Hi Andy,

About 6 months ago I moved the TV to the side of my speakers and the stereo sound has been hugely improved.

I have a separate Yamaha AV system and run it with just the centre speaker (a Rega Senta) and I am quite happy with the setup. I mostly watch TV and old movies and they were originally recorded in mono or stereo anyway so I don't miss the messy extra speakers. The senta sounds much better than the the TVs internal speakers and can go quite loud without getting shouty.

cheers
Gus