62/140 matching components

Posted by: Ken Chang on 30 September 2000

I have 62/140 with MC phono left un-used. So I plan to find its partner. I like the look of Blue Room Mini Pod and the classic of Thorens TD 124/3009. These two products are within my budget. My question are 1) what should be an MC catrgidge and 2) will they all matched?
Posted on: 30 September 2000 by P
I know I'm going to regret asking this but why do you call yourself 82180 if you own a 62140?

Regards P.er?

Posted on: 01 October 2000 by Ken Chang
To answer your question I have two set of Niam 82/180 and 62/140.
Posted on: 02 October 2000 by Ken Chang
Now that I've use a name, please answer and spare me your comment
Posted on: 02 October 2000 by Andrew Randle
Buy some real loudspeakers.

Go for Royd, Epos or Rega.

B&W are crap, particularly the blue room.

Also try the Rega turntables, either the P3 or P25.

Andrew

Andrew Randle
2B || !2B;
4 ^ = ?;

Posted on: 03 October 2000 by mr saucisson
Can't do computer type codes, but I second Jauhar about the Mordaunt Short 10i. I used to have a pair about 4 years ago...they were crackers, and had all the virtues of Naim speakers at a fraction of the cost.

I think that MS went out of business and the 10i with them, but if you can find a pair, they are absolutely brilliant...assuming that the room is not too large. My dad uses my pair now with a Denon midi system in his kitchen, and they really can hold a tune.

Worth seeking out the Pearl edition if you can find them, they are even more of the same. If I was to live on a boat ( as I nearly did!) then they would have been up there for a comeback in the smaller space.

Ben

Posted on: 04 October 2000 by Frank Abela
Ken (or is it 82?)

Speakers:
I have not heard the Blue Rooms myself, but I have it on reasonably good authority that they can be bettered by similarly priced speakers, although they don't look as kinky. I would consider Acoustic Energy 100i and B&W 601S2 (the best speaker in the S2 range). For more money, you could listen to Dynaudio Audience 40 (£400), which are cracking speakers.

Source:
The TD124 was a very good turntable in its day. You can get very acceptable results with it. However, the 124 is pretty expensive nowadays. If you can find one, make sure it is in a decent plinth. I believe Loricraft can fit you up with a good one, but I'll warn you now that a decent plinth will cost a fair amount (£400?).

The 3009 is a beautiful arm to look at, and very well made. It's very good in the midrange. However, it doesn't have particularly strong frequency extremes, so it can sound a bit limited by comparison to more modern arms.

Also, modern cartridges aren't as high compliance (or is it low? I always forget which way round it is) as the arm was designed for, so you need to choose with care. You want an MC cartridge because of your boards, but most MC cartridges won't work particularly well in that arm. MM cartridges work well because they are more akin to the originals the arm was designed for. I guess you could try something like the Ortofon MC15.

Therefore it is difficult to advise you of the best approach to take with this. Eventually, I would suggest a better arm. A SME10 would work very well with that deck and you wouldn't have to mess around with the plinth since the arm fitting would be the same. Then you could add any MC cartridge you liked. The cheapest MC I would recommend is the Ortofon MC25FL. It is tight and fast, but it has a bit of a harsh treble. Another choice would be for the Dynavector DV20XL which isn't as fast as the Ortofon but is much more rounded and has better scope in my view. The best choice in terms of MC value for money is the 17D2 at £450, but I'm convinced it wouldn't work particularly well in a 3009...

Regards,
Frank.

Posted on: 04 October 2000 by Rico
quote:
high compliance (or is it low? I always forget which way round it is)

I mix this up too. I think its 'Low Mass goes with High Compliance', and 'High Mass goes with Low Compliance'.

eg - Big Heavy Arm, cartridge should be stiff (low compliance); Lightweight arm needs soft compliant cartridge.

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 04 October 2000 by Ken Chang
Thank you very much for your kind comment. For Thorens , can I use it with Roksan Corus black . For speaker in fact I have ES11 lest un-used , but this time I will go for look as well as sound. If not mini pod, what speaker that looks good and sould O.K
Posted on: 04 October 2000 by Arye_Gur
I used with my Nait3 Rega EL8 and they were good.
I'd already heard the cd5 and Nait5 with such
speakers and it sounded very good too.
Pierre ,
quote:

I know I'm going to regret asking this but why do you call yourself 82180 if you own a 62140?

It was the first time that I laughed loudly
when I read something AT THE FORUM.
Great sense of humor.

arie

[This message was edited by Arie_Gur on THURSDAY 05 October 2000 at 08:52.]