Bugger! - They're conspiring against me!

Posted by: Ancipital on 11 February 2005

Hi

Played a DVD on my trusty Pioneer the other night, except this time, it wasn't quite so trusty. Disc wouldn't play, nor would any other. Took the DVD player apart and found the disc wasn't spinning and was making a bit of a clicking sound when I pressed play. A little push and disc spun up. Thought it was just one of those things. Following day, wouldn't work again so done the same trick, stopped the disc then played it again and wouldn't spin up again.

Today, spoke to the Pioneer spares, they wanted £126 for the transport - yeah right! Spoke to an "approved" repairer. They wouldn't quote without looking at the player and got rather indignant when I had stated what I had found and still insisted they would need to look at the player.

Spoke my local friendly dealer in South East London to see if they would have a look but they stated they would have to send it off to Pioneer really and it would probably cost about £200 to fix.

Stupidly asked how long it would take to get hold of a DVD5, answer I got was about 30 minutes. Sod it! Looks like I'm now the owner of a DVD5 about a year ahead of what I was expecting.

I'm being conspired against! Ah well, still, new toy! Big Grin

Steve.
Posted on: 11 February 2005 by Steve2701
Steve,
Admit it... you tripped on that cloud somewhere between earth n sky, the coffee you were carrying entered the old pioneer.. et voila DVD5 it is.. some conspiracy

Do yourself another huge favour... be conspired to 'just try' the DC1 interconnect as I was.. it will empty your wallet just that little bit more.

It will also help make that AV2 sing......

Any other conspiratorial theories on spending your hard earned a year early??

Good luck with the '5, you will enjoy for certain.
Posted on: 14 February 2005 by Ancipital
Got the DVD5 on Saturday which was great right up to the point where I went to plug it in.

Forgot to pick on some BNC to phono converters! Decided to make another visit back to the shop to pick some up rather than have them posted.

Finally plugged it in Sunday. Watched a video derived programme to start, had to turn a couple of settings off to cope with this as the picture was a bit fuzzy. Watched Finding Nemo yesterday and everything stood out and was perfectly clear and crisp.

I have still yet to adjust my plasma settings for the DVD5 as I went to sort it out but didn't have enough time so will have to revisit that. The dealer will be coming round in a month to upgrade the AV2 software and tie it all together.

Out of interest, I did put a CD in to see what it sounded like, it did produce a rather warm full sound but a bit too coloured for my liking but that was through the AV2. A have a spare SNAIC I think so will plug the DVD5 directly into the 282 just out of interest.

Think I may have caused someone else a problem whilst I was in the shop sowing the seeds of doubt against the Arcam DV88 he had just had on home dem and the Naim, he's going to dem the DVD5 now, oops! Big Grin

I did find that my Pioneer stopped having problems after the purchase of the DVD5 - argh! I'll justify it by saying it was on its way out.
Posted on: 14 February 2005 by karyboue
quote:
I'm being conspired against! Ah well, still, new toy! Big Grin

Steve.

Same problem, my old Cambridge "jumps" since he knows I plan to replace him with a DVD5 Winker