DVD5 on loan for the weekend

Posted by: HiDefBob on 19 February 2005

My local Naim dealer loaned me a DVD5 for the weekend. My evaluation in the store left me confused and undecided. The DVD5 sounded great in the all Naim system, but not so great in the Classé/B&W system. This evening I had a chance to get an initial evaluation of the DVD5 playing CD's. So far I have been very impressed. The music sounds very detailed, rich and full bodied. The low end is extremely impressive.

I will continue to update this evaluation through the weekend.

The more I listen the more I am impressed with the CD sound from the DVD5 - it sounds outstanding in my system. Someone once said to me that he did not like Naim because it had " ... just a wall of sound ... no imaging at all". I found just the opposite. On the UBC Wind Ensemble I noticed a definite depth to the instruments, i.e the drums were clearly at the back. And each instrument was clear and distinct with a definite place on stage. I have heard this orchestra several times at the Chan Centre which is world renouned for its accoustics ... and listening to the CD was like being in the building.

In making comparsions of certain cuts on the Pioneer and Naim, it became very obvious that the Naim was revealing more details and subtleties from the various instruments. I heard things that were masked on the Pioneer.

Electrostatic speakers are renowned for reproducing the human voice. The DVD5 just enhances that quality. Norah Jones, Sade and others seemed to be performing in my living room!

As you are all well aware, CD performance is an issue with DVD players. Most do not deliver. Naim has delivered!

One thing I have learned from this audition ... just because a piece of hi-fi equipment sounds great in one system that does not mean it will sound great in yours, and vice versa. The DVD5 sounded fabulous in the all Naim system, not so wonderful in the very expensive, high end Classé/B&W system and wonderful in mine. Why ... that is a mistery to me. I know Classé has said that their new amps sound much different than the older one that I own ... and I am using a Denon for processing, not a Classé.

I think I actually prefer to listen to the DVD5 on my system rather than the all Naim. The Haim is more revealing, but I think on mine it is easier to listen to for extended periods. It is not at all fatiguing. It is very musical and a joy to listen to hour after hour. And there were definitely times when the WOW factor kicked in ... the sound from a particular instrument sound so real!

By the way, I am using "Pure Direct" with "Video off" on the Denon when listening to CD's.

The PQ is superb on my Sony ... especially on Friday Night Lights and LOTR: Fellowship of the Rings. The PQ looked almost HD! I did come across one bad case of the jaggys. It was in the Bonus material of The Village. Often the original PQ on the Bonus items is not the best. I saw nothing like this while watching the movie.

The sound quality from DVD's is awesome! On LOTR: Fellowship of the Rings my floor and walls were fibrating! The Naim produces amazing LFE. Also, there were segments during which the choir was singing in which I felt totally immersed in sound! On Diana Krall's Live in Paris, the Naim did a superb job of reproducing the low end of the piano on the cut "Devil, May Care".

I would HIGHLY recommend this product with the caution ... try to get the loan of one to try in your system or be sure that you can return it for a complete refund.

Equipment being used in this evaluation -

1. Martin Logan Speakers –
· Fronts - Aeon
· Centre - Cinema
· Surrounds – Scripts
2. Velodyne HGS12 Subwoofer
3. Processor
· Denon 4802 Receiver
4. Amplifier
· Classé CAV-180 (via Denon 4802 pre-outs)
5. Current LCD/DVD Player
· Pioneer Elite DVL-90
6. Viewing screen
- Sony KV36XBR400
7. Audio/Video Stands
· Sanus CF5 Shelving System (3)
· Sony SU-36HS2
8. Harmonic Technology Interconnects
· Pro11 Plus speaker wire (Fronts and Centre)
· Cyber Link Platinum (Digital Audio)
· Silver Link II (Digital Audio)
· Optical TOS
· Crystal Component
· S-Video Copper
9. Power
· Dedicated circuit with isolated ground
· PS Audio Power Port Hospital Grade Plugs(5)
· Richard Gray Pole Pig
· Richard Gray Power Conditioners - 400S (4) and 600S(1)
· Harmonic Technology AC-Pro 11 power cords

CD's played -

1. Fleetwood Mac - The Dance
2. Sade - The Best of
3. Norah Jones - Feels Like Home
4. Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman
5. Enya - A Day without Rain
6. Kenny G - Silhouette
7. University of BC Wind Ensemble recorded at the Chan Centre

DVD's viewed

1. The Village
2. Friday Night Lights
3. Diana Krall - Live in Paris (DTS 5.1)
4. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings (extended version)
Posted on: 19 February 2005 by Jay
Looking forward to it Bob.

Jay
Posted on: 19 February 2005 by Steve2701
& Nice to see naim going into a VERY different system.
I look forward to hearing the results.. should be very interesting.
That lot is sooo different to what the average DVD5 in the uk will be used with.
Good luck & happy viewing / listening.
Posted on: 19 February 2005 by Martin D
Bob who's your dealer, are you in the UK?
Posted on: 19 February 2005 by HiDefBob
My dealer is The HiFi Centre in Vancouver Canada. They just celebrated their 20th year in business last November. They have a fairly large facility with 7 show rooms, 2 of which are dedicated to Naim - one for audio only and the other for Home Theatre. The owner also has 3 very high end Home Theatre systems set up in his home - viewing of these systems is by invitation only.

Other product lines they carry - Classé (the n top dealer in North America in sales), B&W, REL, Velodyne, Rotel, Denon, Faurodja, Musical Fidelity, Vienna Acoustics, Sonus Faber, Monitor Audio, Barco, Knoll, Hitachi Plasma, LG Plasma, Richard Gray, Harmonic Technology, Straight Wire, Sennheiser.

All the sales staff are very knowledgeable each having taken audio training courses. And once you become a regular customer they give nice discounts on all their products.
Posted on: 19 February 2005 by Martin D
Cheers Bob - I’m always interested in the dealer side of things, it makes a big difference!