Naim new logo

Posted by: Arye_Gur on 15 September 2000

I wonder if the people in Naim are thinking the new logo is so wonderful - why do they keep showing the old one in the entry page to their
website ?
Posted on: 15 September 2000 by Mike Hanson
Only some of the products have the new logo, so there's nothing really wrong with using the old one. It will be years before Naim stops selling all the products with the old logo.

Besides, it takes a while to change all of those web page graphics.

BTW, I realize that you're just being sarcastic, and that's OK. Many people prefer the old logo over the new one (myself included). However, I'm much more concerned with how it sounds versus how it looks, and that's the way it should be, right? Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Smilies do not a forum make.

Posted on: 15 September 2000 by Arye_Gur
Mike Hanson,
You understand me well...

I don't like the new logo and don't like the look of the new 5 models.

I see Naim like a classic manufacturer and to my
opinion the new logo has nothing to do with
a classical appearance.

When I first saw the new shape on the web, I thoght it is a beautiful one, but I was disappointment when I saw it "real".

You are absolutely right when saying that the sound is the real goal - but why changing something good (appearance)to a worse one if you
already have the good one ?

Posted on: 15 September 2000 by Arye_Gur

Mike, can you please tell me what is the
"Mike's Division of Space & Time" ?

Posted on: 15 September 2000 by Mike Hanson
Who: Mike Hanson
What: Software Expert, Music Lover
Where: Toronto, Canada
Why: Because we love you
When: Right about now

As far as why Naim would change their look, it's the only way to get the world to notice. The media covers you if you're "New and Improved!" If nothing seems different, then why should they bother?

Yes, I'm cynical about that too. Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

[This message was edited by Mike Hanson on FRIDAY 15 September 2000 at 19:50.]

Posted on: 17 September 2000 by Philip Pang
Do agree totally with you, Arie; have to say that as a Naim devotee and "purist", I don't like the new 500 or 5 series look, don't think I ever will; it's too much of a departure from the classic look of the current series, which I worship.

The new logo is also not much to shout about in relation to the old. "na naim audio": that's about the sexiest (figuratively, now...) logo I've seen in all the decade I've been dappling with hi-fi, especially when you view it at night, with the backlit lights lurking in all their seductive mysticism while the music swings away.

Still, Naim must have been hard at work these later years trying to think of how they could revamp their line-up for some brand freshness and rejuvenation, so I suppose they've done their homework and decided something had to go... rather sadly for those of us devoted to the present guise.

That the new 500 and 5 series represent breakthroughs in sound quality at their respective price levels, I have no doubt. We lap up everything new from Naim because "Naim do not believe in releasing something new unless it is genuinely an improvement over the old." For me, this business philosophy of theirs is to be applauded, supported and hopefully upheld for the future - it protects our investments for the longer term, and secures our trust in the fact that they're not a company that believe in toying with their customer's hard earned investments. That makes perfect loyalty sense (& cents...) to me.

I suppose the departure from their classic look, which has made Naim so distinctive all this time, has only fuelled my growing insecurities over whether they are beginning to follow the industry's alarming propensities for change, and more often than not, for the sake of changing. I should be shot by Mark and Paul for even thinking it, but I really hope and trust not.

Whatever it is, if we profess to love Naim, which I gather here that we do, then however uncomfortable we are about the new changes, we have to accept and respect: the new look is their decision, and theirs alone (sigh....); perhaps in time the new look might mellow a little more and sink in as a new acquired taste.

In the meantime, I suppose I will still be hanging on, this grumbly Naim purist and devotee of the old... if only they had sent out a poll to gauge how we felt about a logo revision and new guise, before effecting the changes... that would be too much, huh?

Happy listening, all; the music's still groovy.

Philip Pang
naimniac for life

[This message was edited by philip pang on MONDAY 18 September 2000 at 09:01.]

Posted on: 18 September 2000 by Martin Payne
Philip,

I'm afraid the cases on the old slimline range always looked very disapointing to me. The money obviously went on the internals.

The new ones are a lot better and I was surprised to like the new logo. Unfortunately, though, something really needs to be done about the green back-lighting on it.

My dealer is a lot happier selling a £1,000 CD player in the new case than the old one. I'd be happier to own one, too.

cheers, Martin

Posted on: 18 September 2000 by Arye_Gur
Philip Pang,

I agree with you and I'm sure Naim did think a lot
before the'd chnged the logo and the equipment look.

However I think they did miss something first of all because they don't understand that the logo
is a very important symbol of the manufacturer.
I don't like to comare stereo to cars, but can you imagine that Mercedes, BMW or Audi - althogh
they change the look of their cars - will change
the logo of the cars ?

To my opinion, the new look and the new logo brings Naim to a group of manufacturers that can change everything in the product when they think
it is time to do so - and that takes them out
(and again - to my opinion) of the "classical"
manufacturers.

I do hope they will keep their famouse sound quality as they do until now.

Arie

Posted on: 18 September 2000 by Arye_Gur
Martin Payne,

Let's agree that we don't agree about the new logo....

Arie

Posted on: 18 September 2000 by Chris West
Arie,

The 500 had to be housed in a new case due to it's
size. Even if Naim wanted to, the old size case
on steroids wouldn't be practical at all for that design. In the US at least, there have been no negative remarks made to us about the case styling. Most owners are too busy grinning from ear to ear. What's more, the majority have upgraded from Naim's mid sized 135's without getting too nostalgic over the older "classic" look. The "new" logo has been around for about
eight years now - though mainly identified with
the CD label. Perhaps not a bad thing to strongly
identify the Hi-Fi equipment with the music label
by sharing the same logo?

Chris

Posted on: 19 September 2000 by Arye_Gur
Chris West,

You maid a point with the cd logo...

But I can ask you if Naim couldn't use the same equipment logo with the CD to achieve the same goal...

Anyway -I still think the old logo is more
beautiful then the new one - The change in look
is less disturbing.

Arie

Posted on: 19 September 2000 by Nigel Cavendish
quote:
I don't like to comare stereo to cars, but can you imagine that Mercedes, BMW or Audi - althogh
they change the look of their cars - will change
the logo of the cars ?

I don't think cars and hi-fi can be compared in that way. Most people who drive(men anyway) will recognise a car logo - particularly a percieved up-market vehicle to which they might aspire - but comparatively few people have hi-fi aspirations. Your average Sansui owner (not you tf) would not know naim from Krell so the change of logo is really only an issue to existing naim owners.

cheers

Nigel

Posted on: 19 September 2000 by Mike Hanson
Toyata changed their logo a while back (from a stylised "T" to a very stylised "T"). Then there's the 1972 Datsun that I owned way back when; not only have they changed the logo (at least twice), but they've changed the name of the company too (at least as far as the North American market is concerned). Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Posted on: 19 September 2000 by Arye_Gur
Toyota is a very good example of the importance
a manufacturer sees the car logo. Look at the
Lexus and try to find any T there !!!
Toyota don't want that people will link the lexus
with the other cheepest models.

If you want to prove that changing the logo is
a common act, I don't think you can find it in
classical manufacturers like Mercedes, Bmw,
Jaguar, Rols roys, Ferary and others I can't recall now.

I still think that changing the logo takes the
manufacturer out of the classical group.

Arie

Posted on: 19 September 2000 by Chris West
Arie,

I think it is a matter of what logo can embrace
both the label and Hi-Fi under one well known and
classic brand "naim". "Naim Audio" is a little too specific these days to cover everything from CD's to Hi-Fi systems and AV components. So really the brand name hasn't changed, it's merely shorter and simpler, with a wider application....Also, the font size is larger, which makes it more legible at a distance. Lastly, the new logo layout makes it practical to incorporate the remote IR sensor behind, which means no separate IR window required
on the front panel.

Chris

Posted on: 20 September 2000 by Nigel Cavendish
quote:
) Did you know that the old Naim logo is actually on the Nap 500. If you own one take a look at the underside of the gull-wings and you should see it. I noticed this at the Bristol show this year. I think it is a nice touch.

I have sometimes wondered why naim puts the "old" logo in places that are generally well out of view. For example the underside of the CD 3.5 tray has the logo moulded in.

[QUOTE]Having said al this I'm not keen on the implementation of the new log on the 5 series but then I'm not Naim's target market for this series so my opinion on this does not really matter./QUOTE]

Who is naim's target market and do they care what the logo is? For sure existing owners must be the primary market but the given the obvious "muscle" styling of the nap 500, I suspect that they are looking to expand in North America and to appeal to the high end buyer.

cheers

Nigel

Posted on: 20 September 2000 by Chris West
ok, now I know how to edit a post...

[This message was edited by Chris West on THURSDAY 21 September 2000 at 03:35.]

Posted on: 20 September 2000 by Chris West
Nigel said,

quote:
Who is naim's target market and do they care what the logo is? For sure existing owners must be the primary market but the given the obvious "muscle" styling of the nap 500, I suspect that they are looking to expand in North America and to appeal to the high end buyer.

I believe the primary goal was to push the envelope in terms of amplifier design, within the existing framework of Naim's philosophy. The fact that this required a larger box to properly realise the design is incidental. The way this pans out in the market place is a matter of commercial interest, but the forces driving the design effort are (as ever) the performance goals which justify the amps existence. The cosmetics are a very important part of the whole package, and I can say we have not heard anything negative about appearance or performance here in the US. As fast as we can fill back-orders, new orders keep us a bit behind the curve in terms of supply and demand (especially the Tri-amp orders;). If Naim were primarily eyeing the US market, and were willing to compromise on performance (not!), there might be Gold plated handles on the front and all manner of interfaces (balanced inputs, 5-way binding posts, etc.), chunky meters and what have you. Fortunately, the demand for thrills over frills still holds true.

Naim design's for a world market-place where there
is a common thread underlying regional variations in taste - the desire for musical performance...

Regards,

Chris
N.A.N.A.