Philips 32pf9986 - inducing buzz thru denon 2805/Naim!

Posted by: andy c on 07 February 2005

Hi,
I thought I'd report a problem I have found with my setup and my new LCD TV.

Basically I have the denon piggybacked via the pre-outs into my Naim 282 pre amp. The pre-amp has a 'unity gain' feature which allows you to by-pass the volume pot on the pre-amp.

Now, when I connect anything 'electrical' between the denon and the philips I get a low buzz from the front left/right speakers! If I use an optical cable from, say, the dvd to the processor - no buzz. I can connect anything electrical between the tv and sky (scart or rf lead for exampe), or tv and dvd (dvi or scart) with no problems but if I then plug anything in between the tv/dvd player and the denon - buzz.

Am going to try a ground loop isolator to see if that cures it - plugging it into the digital co-axial cable for a start between the denon and the dvd player (2910).

Any other idea's? I have tried putting an earth lead to the casework etc with either no differance or it makes the buzzing worse!

andy c!
Posted on: 07 February 2005 by John G.
A ground loop isolator should do the trick.
Posted on: 08 February 2005 by Adam Meredith
quote:
Originally posted by John Gilleran:
A ground loop isolator should do the trick.

We agree.
Posted on: 08 February 2005 by andy c
HI John and Adam,
I have ordered one... so we shall indeed see in due course... the crusade continues...

andy c!
Posted on: 11 February 2005 by andy c
OK,
well the simple result is that the ground loop isolator does not seem to work with the digital co-ax cable, but it does work ok with analogue outputs from the 2910 e.g. the cd left and right or the dvd-a outputs, so a partial result me thinks. I do have to say that the 2910 into the 2805 sounds stonking via optical (Chord Co Opticord) so I am not disappointed by any means...

regards

andy c!