Fronts for Axess/N-Sats

Posted by: Neil Bennett on 18 February 2005

I've just snapped up an ex-dem Axess and pair of N-Sats with stands, to commence my AV upgrades. Temporarily I'm going to use the N-Sats as fronts, with an old pair of Dean Alto 2's as rears. However the next move would be to get new fronts and a sub. I guess Arrivas would be the obvious choice (I'd rather get floorstanders for the fronts than another pair of N-Sats)?? And the N-sub?

Neil
Posted on: 18 February 2005 by Jay
Hi Neil

Why did you not buy the matching n-Cent instead of the Axcess? I understood the n-cent to be a perfect match for Ariva or n-Sats and obviously cheaper than a ex-dem Axcess?

Jay
Posted on: 19 February 2005 by Neil Bennett
Jay, 3 main reasons: general view seems to be that the centre speaker is the most important, which supports my own experience, and hence the area in which to strive for best quality; I'd heard and read that the Axess was still a good match for the other new speakers, and because with the Axess I was getting a very good discount vs RRP, whereas there was no deal around on the N-Cent, so the additional quality per additional £ ratio was very good indeed.

Neil
Posted on: 19 February 2005 by andy c
Appen be saving up for your sl2's now then? Winker

andy c!
Posted on: 19 February 2005 by Neil Bennett
Andy,

I've already got one pair of SL2's on the audio system and thought a second pair for the AV system would be a little excessive, since I don't use it as much as the main system! I was thinking more between Arivas or, possibly Allaes. Or what about 2nd hand credo/intro/2's?

Neil
Posted on: 19 February 2005 by andy c
I changed from a B&W CC6 centre to the N-cent - far more seamless accross the front three speakers now - am saving up for a pair of n-sats for the rears...

andy c!
Posted on: 19 February 2005 by Jay
quote:
Originally posted by Neil Bennett:
Jay, 3 main reasons: general view seems to be that the centre speaker is the most important, which supports my own experience, and hence the area in which to strive for best quality; I'd heard and read that the Axess was still a good match for the other new speakers, and because with the Axess I was getting a very good discount vs RRP, whereas there was no deal around on the N-Cent, so the additional quality per additional £ ratio was very good indeed.

Neil

Fair enough!

As a matter of interest did you try a n-Cent? I don't suppose there are many around....

Jay
Posted on: 21 February 2005 by Neil Bennett
Jay,

I heard the N-Cent at the Heathrow show, with the sub and 4 N-sats. I did like it, but must admit the Axess was bought unheard, figuring hopefully that it was more of the same, only better. We shall see. I think Arivas will do for the fronts, and that it probably isn't worth the extra for Allaes (unless there's a great deal around at the time!)

Neil
Posted on: 21 February 2005 by Jay
quote:
Originally posted by Neil Bennett:
Jay,

I heard the N-Cent at the Heathrow show, with the sub and 4 N-sats. I did like it, but must admit the Axess was bought unheard, figuring hopefully that it was more of the same, only better. We shall see. I think Arivas will do for the fronts, and that it probably isn't worth the extra for Allaes (unless there's a great deal around at the time!)

Neil

Hi Neil

Thanks for that, just wondering really.

I think you've made an excellent choice, the Axess is bound to be more capable than the n-cent but there's very little information around to substantiate.

The Axess would also be a perfect match for SBL's, Allae's, etc, should you feel the need at a later date. I certainly agree with you that the centre is critically important. In my experience matching across the front and perfect set-up is extremely well rewarded, even for entry level speakers...

Jay