Screen not syncing when DVD5 brought out of standby

Posted by: Ancipital on 15 February 2005

Hi

Came across an interesting one this evening.

Setting the DVD5 to standby and then back on again, the screen can't sync to the DVD5 signal.

I'm using 3 component cables set to YPbPr as the mode, screen doesn't pick up any other signal type apart from this.

Power off/on of plasma display didn't do anything but powering off the DVD5 and on again did. Only option is not to put DVD5 into standby. It never done this in the first couple of days, only now. Oddly, the demo DVD5 I had shared the same problem as well.

Plasma display is a Hitachi 42PD3000.

Will power off DVD5 overnight and see what it does in the morning.

Any bits on this will be appreciated!

Steve.
Posted on: 16 February 2005 by Ancipital
Had a play this morning, this had the same effect.

When the DVD5 was put into standby then brought out, I didn't get the picture back. The display shows everything in shades of blue but with no vertical sync by the looks of it.

The screen supports progressive scan in both pal and ntsc and as stated YPrPb through component but not RGB. The DVD5 is set to YPrPb as per defaults.

My previous Pioneer DVD player was also set to use YPrPb through component without any issues through the same cable for the past 18 months.

I will try and get some pictures of it this evening when I get home.

The screen can do RGB through SCART so will set it up to go through that for the meantime.

Steve.
Posted on: 12 June 2005 by SimonJ
I have exactly the same problem with DVD5, iScan HD+ and Panasonic TH42PW6 plasma. DVD5 connected to the iScan HD+ via a QED 3 RCA component lead. Works fine once powered off and back on from the rear switch and also if put into stand by for a few seconds, but if put into standby for say 5 minutes or more it will not come back from standby.

Posted on: 13 June 2005 by Ancipital
Hi

Posted this recently in the "1 day old DVD5 out of order !" thread.

This was the answer I got from Naim as a workaround for the moment.

The reset sequence I got from Naim is as follows :-

1. remove disc and close the drawer
2. press and hold 'clear' on the remote for about 5 seconds.
3. then re-boot
You will see 'RESET' on the DVD5's front panel display.
Note:
This resets to factory defaults and internal DSP registers.
You may need to set your preferences again
IRE levels and output formats etc.

Personally, I haven't had a problem since doing this although I believe one other DVD5 owner was still having some issues.

Steve.
Posted on: 13 June 2005 by SimonJ
Cheers Steve, I'll give it a go this evening.
Posted on: 13 June 2005 by karyboue
Do you use your player as a CD player ?

I noticed that if the video card is reactivated (pressing "display") in CD mode there is no more failure. If the video card is reactivated when the player is empty or loaded with a DVD then the failure happens.
Posted on: 13 June 2005 by SimonJ
No, I have a CDX2 for music. The DVD5 is only on loan at the moment to try it out as a DVD player. I have actually tried it for music though and was quite impressed when fed via the analogue DIN input into my NAC282 HICAP2 NAP250-2. I have not tried it using the DAC in my AV2.
Posted on: 15 June 2005 by karyboue
Yeh ! It rocks playing CDs (using original Naim Din interconnect) Winker

It seems that the DVD5 has a few bugs with teh video card. It's my 3rd player and I still have the same bug.
Posted on: 15 June 2005 by niceguy235uk
3rd player??? Eek

And i thought i was having problems when my first went back for not playing discs.

Well apparently its 'on the bench' as we speak with the possibility of it being returned with the new firmware. To be honest i was hoping for a replacement but as long as it comes back once and for all ill be happy.

The pile of dvds that need watching is getting bigger!!!

Regards
Jason
Posted on: 16 June 2005 by Ancipital
quote:
Originally posted by SimonJ:
Cheers Steve, I'll give it a go this evening.

Simon, did it work?
Posted on: 16 June 2005 by karyboue
Well I am doing too much.

My first player has been sent back to Naim.
My second player is my dealer's.
My last one is my new player ... that still has the same bug but I am now used to it Winker
Posted on: 27 June 2005 by SimonJ
Do Naim have a date for a firmware update? I'm trying (with great difficulty) to put off buying one until it has been bug fixed a bit!
Posted on: 29 June 2005 by HiDefBob
quote:

The reset sequence I got from Naim is as follows :-

1. remove disc and close the drawer
2. press and hold 'clear' on the remote for about 5 seconds.
3. then re-boot
You will see 'RESET' on the DVD5's front panel display.
Note:
This resets to factory defaults and internal DSP registers.
You may need to set your preferences again
IRE levels and output formats etc.
Steve.

I just tried the above procedure. It seems to have worked.

Update - I just turned off all the video outputs to play a CD (I usually only have the BNC outputs for playing DVD's ... my Sony only excepts component in). After playing the CD I put the unit in stand by, then turned it back on. I still have sync!

Thank you Steve!
Posted on: 29 June 2005 by HiDefBob
[QUOTE] Originally posted by karyboue:
Yeh ! It rocks playing CDs [QUOTE]

I am re-experiencing all my CD's ... in fact I am really just experiencing them for the first time! The CD sound from the DVD5 is bloody amazing! I don't want to turn the Naim off! Smile

And everytime I rent another movie I am blown away by the PQ (especially if the video transfer has been properly done)! Smile

Some friends thought I was a little insane spending so much money on a new DVD player (many spend that much on their entire home theatre system), especially with HD DVD's coming along soon. I don't regret spending a single penny on this unit. As for HD DVD's ... there is sO much money and egos involved it is going to be at LEAST 2 years before we see a compromise or winning format. I will wait on the side lines and enjoy my DVD5 in the mean time.