My system's lost it's Mojo

Posted by: Hammerhead on 21 September 2000

Hi Chaps,
System has just been up-graded with the addition of new speakers. Said system is now CDX, 62/140, Naim cables through-out and Ruark Talisman II's. It has improved in the area's it was lacking before ie, scale, dynamics and punch. However, there seems to be something missing. I feel like I'm listening to the sound rather than the music. The mojo/groove seems to be lost compared to what I had before when using Ruark Sabres. Could it be that I'm just a bit overwhelmed by the extra info the system is revealing or is it a bit of an unbalanced system? Also of concern is the volume said system produces. I'm not sure if it's any louder per any given setting on the pre. (Sabres are 87db/watt/Talismans 88db/watt m)It just seems to fill the room, sounds very 'real' but grooveless. I wouldn’t say it’s analytical, maybe just too ‘pure’ if that makes any sense. I'm a bit confused as to whether I like it or not. Any ideas anyone (Big Frank Abela perhaps)??

Steve

Posted on: 21 September 2000 by bob atherton
Hi Stephen,

Are the new speakers absolutely new, another words have they run in yet? When the new speakers have settled ( at least 2-3 weeks ), try repositioning them.

If the speakers are brand new then I wouldn't worry at this stage.

Why did you change speakers? ( oops just re-read the bit about scale etc...)

Bob

Posted on: 21 September 2000 by Greg Beatty
I can't respond with authority, and maybe shouldn't respond at all - but as no one else has (yet)...

quote:

Could it be that I'm just a bit overwhelmed by the extra info the system is revealing or is it a bit of an unbalanced system? Also of concern is the volume said system produces. I'm not sure if it's any louder per any given setting on the pre. (Sabres are 87db/watt/Talismans 88db/watt m)

Extra information shouldn't be a problem. Clean live gigs (unamplified) offer gobs of information, but the result is just effortless music. All the musical lines are there and are easy to follow.

I wouldn't worry about the volume thing - 1db/watt difference really won't move the volume knob much. The larger (I assume?) speakers may play louder before they begin to compress though.

Three constructive thoughts:

1) If the speakers are new, they may need to run in. I know ProAcs (possibly the winner of the long-time run-in sweepstakes) loosen up A LOT and are much easier to listen to and musical when run in

2) Maybe all the extra info is too much for your room, at present. You can try treating the room.

3) I doubt 1 & 2 are major, interfere with groove problems. What kind of supports is your kit sitting on?

- GregB
Freedom is not in finding the Holy Grail but in stopping the search for it

Posted on: 21 September 2000 by Hammerhead
Bob, Greg,
Thanks for the feedback. I'll clarify a few things first. I bought the Talismans (floorstanders) 2nd hand and are therefore run in. My equipment is split over two racks (nothing fancy), first rack has pre on the top shelf, CDX sat on Atacama plinth on second shelf with Rega3 on bottom shelf. 140, tape deck and tuner on second rack (140 on top shelf, tape/tuner on bottom shelf). (Living and listening) room is about 16ft by 11ft by 8ft high. Speakers on 'short' wall firing down the long one. Carpet over concrete floor. Plasterboard walls (Oh dear, I hear you moan).

I think I may have to play around with the positioning a bit more. When I first placed them, the bass was just too much so I brought them out to about 28cm from the back wall with a small touch of toe in which has evened things up to where they are at them moment. As I mentioned earlier, the sound seems to be too 'clean' and not very groovy. Maybe I'll move them back a touch to add some more bass warmth and body. The other variable is that the Talismans are mass loaded. At present, they've got the recommended 2 litres of sand in them. The handbook suggests this but doesn't give much more info than that. Being a bit of a lazy git/plug'n'play type of guy, the possible iterations for getting the sound and more importantly, the groove back is a bit daunting! I remember seeing a few Talismans users on the old forum - come on guys, where's a good place to start with these things?!

As for the loudness, the Talismans are very loud (to my ears) at 9 o'clock on the pre. (The old Sabres (stand mounts) would have to pumped up to about 10.30/11 to give the same effect). Anything below 8, it just doesn’t sound interesting. That's also what's bugging me. I don't want stadium levels of db, just more music.

I'll keep tweaking if you keep suggesting!

Thanks,

Steve

(I've still got the Sabres should it all go Pete Tong)

Posted on: 21 September 2000 by Kevin Hughes
Stephen,

It is either the speakers or you. Or to put another way...

Are you listening to the hifi more than the music?

Or is there less music?

Do you still have the old speakers to help you decide? You could try the out of phase run in trick if think it is the speakers.

I urge you not to persivere with run in for too long, decide quickly.

Kevin.

Posted on: 21 September 2000 by Bob Edwards
Try removing some sand--I have no experience with the Ruarks but with ProAcs too much sand kills the groove and you get a sound very much like what you are describing.

Good Luck !

BobV

Posted on: 22 September 2000 by bob atherton
Stephen,

Bob is definitely right about the sand. In my experience more sand gives more controll, poise & removes some hash/mush. Less sand gives you more groove & anarchy, just what you need!

Bob

Posted on: 25 September 2000 by Hammerhead
Hi guys,
Took your advice re: removing some sand. I took it all out, weighed it and found 1 speaker had 6lb’s of sand while the other had 10lb. After much huffing and puffing lifting the speakers about (with the good lady giving me ‘that look’), I’m now near optimal I think. Speakers now contain 5lb’s of sand each and more importantly the systems groove is back. The volume issue seems to have resolved itself as well. 9 o’clock on the pre isn’t hurting my ears anymore and it sounds entertaining at lower levels as well.

I’ve learnt two things out of this episode. 1) I definitely don’t like ‘hi-fi’ sound. Music is what it’s all about and that’s what I’m now getting. 2) The adage about building your castle on sand is true also. Too much, and it all goes down the swannie!

Thank goodness for the forum! Thanks chaps.

Steve