Beatles?

Posted by: Steve Shochet on 06 November 2000

Has anyone heard anything about the Beatles catalogue being remastered on CD? Yellow Submarine was done last year, and I was hoping the rest would be coming, but I haven't heard anything. There has been such a big effort to correct the mistakes of the 80's crappy CDs, I am surprised the Beatles have been overlooked.

Steve

Posted on: 06 November 2000 by woodface
I think it would be very difficult to do this (remastering that is) as the source material in terms of sound quality is quite poor. The main reason for this is that the songs were mainly recorded on 4-track equipment and many different layers were bounced down onto each track (their ideas were somewhat ahead of then current technology). Even when compared to their American contempories The Beachboys, the sound is still poor. The later albums such as the White Album/Abbey Road are significantly better. I cannot help but think that if it were possible it would have been done by now.
Posted on: 06 November 2000 by Tony L
quote:
I think it would be very difficult to do this (remastering that is) as the source material in terms of sound quality is quite poor.

To my ears the quality of Beatles CD mastering is quite shockingly bad. The original vinyl sounds much, much better, the currently available digitally remastered vinyl is just as bad as the CDs.

I find the whole Beatles marketing machine to be a total rip off, as the music is so important and well known that everyone will buy it anyway, they can get away with taking no care with quality at all, and then can charge absolutely top dollar for it. The only exceptions to this rule being the White Album Ltd CD from last year, and the recent (new track list) Yellow Submarine album which are both quite good (very good in the case of Y.S.).

Parlaphone need to really pull their finger out - lets face it, if they do it right they can sell them all yet again.

Tony.

PS Anyone tried the new remaster (I think it is also remixed) of Plastic Ono Band?

Posted on: 24 November 2000 by Tony L
quote:
I wonder if we will get both the mono and stereo mixes on a single CD?

Not if they work out they could sell them all again twice...

Tony.