Wagner's Ring

Posted by: Mike Hanson on 29 August 2000

I was at a friend's place last night, and he pulled out a boxed set of Wagner's Ring. It was the EMI version, with Furtwängler conducting. There seemed a few things odd about this:

1. It was 16 hours (13 CDs), and I though it was supposed to be longer.
2. It was missing "Tristan und Isolde".
3. Something in my distant memory tells me that Furtwängler didn't finish the ring.

So straighten me out: How long is the ring? Should it include T&I? Did Furtwängler do the full ryng cycle? Is this the best version, or are there other worth contenders? Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Smilies do not a forum make.

Posted on: 30 August 2000 by Mike Hanson
That clears up my confusion a bit. Please excuse my ignorance, but why is it called a ring, and why are the operas that were included included? Wagner isn't the only one with a ring, right? Is this a common thing, or only for a select few composers? Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Posted on: 30 August 2000 by David Hobbs-Mallyon
Vuk,

Perhaps with time off for good behaviour the VPO/Furtwangler Walkure would be a better start for Mike.

David

I'm going to be borrowing the EMI Ring from my friend, so I'll be able to give it a listen. Although I prefer good quality recordings, it's not enough if the performance is bad. Yes, Vuk, I do listen to Furtwangler's WW-II renditions of Beethoven's 4-7th, and I even enjoy them too. In fact, I think I might put them on right now. Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

I don't generally notice the lyrics in music (definitely less than 5% of the time). For me, the voice is usually just another instrument, albeit one which can produce an amazing variety of sounds. When you add that most operatic vocalists are unintelligible, I doubt whether having the libretti will make any difference to my listening enjoyment. For me, it's all music. Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Posted on: 06 September 2000 by Phil Barry
It has been said that Beethoven could have said in 15 minutes what Wagner said in his whole life, but Beet didn't do it, because it wasn't worth saying.

It was pointed out that Webern wwould have been even quicker.

Posted on: 06 September 2000 by Mike Hanson
I understand what you're saying. However, Beethoven is also long-winded at times. For example, his 7th symphony could be 1/4 as long, without losing many of the musical ideas. Mahler includes the same kind of repetition in many of his symphonies.

The only major classical work that I've encountered that has been short and to the point is Prokofiev's 1st Symphony. It's very straightforward and succinct, yet expresses a wonderful range of musical motifs.

Then again, have you even listened to "Hey Jude"? Sometimes music is more about mood than musical motifs. Emotions can be repetitive, cyclical, slowly progressive, etc., and music often mimics that. I suppose if those types of emotions annoy you, then music based upon them would do the same. Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Posted on: 07 September 2000 by Phil Barry
Mike,

I listen to a lot of Mahler, and I do like his music, but let's not mention him in the same breath as we mention Beethoven, ok?

As for your comment on Beethoven's 7th, I'm just speechless. Ah...I guess chacun a son gout....

Phil

Posted on: 07 September 2000 by Mike Hanson
Although I do think that Beethoven is "better" than Mahler, it's not by leaps and bounds. However, I tend to enjoy Mahler more than Beethoven, and don't ask me to explain why (because I don't really know).

BTW, Anton Webern was a ninny! Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

[This message was edited by Mike Hanson on THURSDAY 07 September 2000 at 19:04.]

Posted on: 25 September 2000 by Frank Abela
I have a vinyl copy of the digitally recorded live Pierre Boulez Ring. It's actually very good indeed, even if it is digital. However, I rarely play it through (last time was '96 I think). The whole thing is on something like 20 records, forty sides, and it's all left to the imagination. In some ways, hearing the singers move around the stage makes one wonder what exactly is going on. I mean, yes I know Wotan is hitting his spear on the rock to trap Brunnhilde but I can't actually see it, and to me this is part of the operatic experience.

It's one of those things I really want on DVD, recorded live in full 7-channel glory such that the extra channels record the theatre acoustics giving me an almost live performance as a result. I might watch it more often then.

Regards,
Frank.

Posted on: 25 September 2000 by Ian P
quote :
It's one of those things I really want on DVD, recorded live in full 7-channel glory such that the extra channels record the theatre acoustics giving me an almost live performance as a result. I might watch it more often then

Frank,

Doesn't that earn you an automatic demotion to Camberley on Saturdays ?

Ian

Posted on: 27 September 2000 by Frank Abela
Thanks for that Vuk. I've just bought a Furtwangler record with bits from the Ring on it (y'know - stuff like the funeral march). If I like it, I might consider finding an alternative Ring.

However, I was serious about wanting the visual spectacle too. I think I'd rather that, provided it was well done. I recently bought the DVD of Turandot (Pavarotti, Milnes, La Scala) and was quite disappointed with it.

Regards,
Frank.

Posted on: 29 September 2000 by Frank Abela
I appreciate your comments a great deal and I shall keep an eye out for your recommendations. Incidentally, I have listened to my (new) old Furtwangler record. I'll admit it has a certain something. He has an almost vice-like grip on the orchestra (like Reiner did later on), which is not something I like particularly. However, he paces the music much more lyrically than Reiner ever dreamt, so it's still interesting. I'm trying to decide if Furt' really is my cup of tea. I think so...but then again...

Regards,
Frank.