Mr Angry - on exhorbitantly priced power leads

Posted by: Graeme Cree on 18 September 2000

Just as a bit of a spoof, take a look at this guy . . .

http://www.sound.au.com/madashell10.htm#pwr-leads

Makes the debate about Kimber Power Cords v Naim standard issue seem a bit tame.

Anyone know anything else about this guy ? Is it really TF in disguise, or just his alter-ego?

Thank you and good night.

Graeme

Posted on: 19 September 2000 by Mark Packer
Ross,

perhaps you'd be kind enough to tell us how to make these cables, as they're so cost effective I'm sure some of us would like to experiment

regards,

MarkL

regards,

MarkĘ

Posted on: 20 September 2000 by Rico
I agree with Ross, I have used solid-core mains leads in the past and found improvements with certain kit. It's certainly cheap enough for a suck-it-and-see approach, provided you don't connect youself to the mains or blow up your kit/house etc. YMMV. My part of the 'theory which may turn out to be a loada crapoli is that you might care to listen first in order to determine mains cable directionality... then if you're making up a few leads, you can keep them all 'same sex'. It worked for me.

These days I'm using Naim standard leads.

Rico - musichead

ricomuzik@hotmail.com

Posted on: 20 September 2000 by Tony L
quote:
I don't think there's much more I can add to what I posted above. Essentially, you buy some solid core electrical cable (1mm) from your hardware or electrical store, put an IEC plug on one end and your local electrical plug on the other end. Of course, this assumes that your components accept IEC plugs. They also need to be run in for a few days.

I have tried and actually used solid core mains for many years - with some systems it definitely works. I started using it ages ago (it was all the rage in Hi-Fi Answers around 1980) when I had an old Quad 33 / 303, and it improved that amp by a mile. I also found it worked with my old 62 / Hicap / 140, and a friends Krell (yuck), but now I much prefer my current spec standard Naim leads.

With my current system solid core mains cable seems to impact the timing quite negatively, as does removing fuses. The better my system gets the less some tweaks seem to work. Definitely worth trying for your though, as I really can't understand why it sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't, it might even have something to do with mains quality as I have moved around a lot.

Tony.

Posted on: 20 September 2000 by woodface
I read this article and found it most amusing! He really is a total Hi-Fi nutter! I certainly think that power cords/distribution blocks can make a subjective difference; but you sometimes wonder whether it is an illusion/dellusion.