14/01/2001

Posted by: Tony L on 15 January 2001

Its Icelandic music week (again).

Sigur Ros 'Von' - I have now completed working backwards through the Sigur Ros back catalogue. This is their first album released in Iceland only. It certainly lacks much of the uniqueness and stunning maturity of the classic Ágætis Byrjun, but is pretty cool none the less. Style wise it is a bit ambient shoe gazer, and tends to meander around without ever nailing down a classic song in the way the second album does. Its still very good though, and well worth owning if a Sigur Ros fan. Suspect it’s a grower.

HOH & Sigur Ros 'Englar Alheimsins' - The soundtrack from Fridrik Thor's 'Children of Nature' film, features two Sigur Ros tracks (that I found out I already had on a single), plus much pleasant chilled instrumental music. The two Sigur Ros tracks are stunning, the equal of anything on Ágætis Byrjun, so if you don't have the 'Ný Batterí' single which is probably unavailable now, then you need this if you really rate the album.

Bjork / Gudmundur Ingolfsson Trio 'Gling-Glo' - Bjork takes on the role of cheesy jazz singer, and succeeds very well. This is an album of jazz standards played by a very competent piano, double bass, drums trio with Bjork adding her unique icelandic slant to the proceedings. Sounds daft, is daft, but is possibly her best album.

All the above can be had mail order from www.badtaste.dk

Tony.

Posted on: 15 January 2001 by Martin M
Thanks for that Tony. I was reading this month's 'The Wire' which has a feature on Icelandic music on it. I was wondering what to get and this helps me out. Anymore recommendations?
Posted on: 15 January 2001 by Lee
Not just new stuff this week, but since Xmas:

Sigur Ros: Agaetis Byrjun - can't really add any more superlatives to what's been said before. Album of last year. No contest.

Godspeed You Black Emperor: Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven - again, a stunning album that's already been highly recommended on this board. Can't disagree, either.

Calexico: Hot Rail - Laidback, country-tinged vibes with languid vocals and hot Mexican horns (oo-er)

Goldfrapp: Felt Mountain - Glorious vocals, whistling and yodelling from Alison Goldfrapp allied to trip-hop oompah funk(no, really!). Totally unique, totally gorgeous. Buy it and find out!

Two Lone Swordsmen: Tiny Reminders - funky, 80's style electro meets the WARP posse. Some great tracks but a little overlong.

Kraftwerk: Trans Europe Express - show 2LS how to do it properly!

Lemon Jelly: KY - laid-back ambient with original samples from self-help tapes ('Nervous tension'), kids TV ('What do you do in the bath?')
etc. Like Bentley Rhythm Ace (first album) but much better.

Other stuff:
Blacworld (Richard H. Kirk of Cabaret Voltaire): Subduing Demons (In South Yorkshire)
Pluramon: Bit Sand Riders
Doves: Lost Souls (highly over-rated)
Broadcast: The Noise Made By People
Eno & Byrne: My Life in the Bush of Ghosts
Death in Vegas: Dead Elvis

On the way:

Ku-ling Brothers: Creach (incl.Stephen Mallinder of Cabaret Voltaire) - funky techno
MDK: A Friend is a Stranger... - techno
Boards of Canada: In a Beautiful Place in the Country - blissed-out ambience
v/a Docking Sequence BSI Records vol 1 - heavy dub

cheers
Lee

Posted on: 15 January 2001 by Tony L
quote:
Calexico: Hot Rail - Laidback, country-tinged vibes with languid vocals and hot Mexican horns (oo-er)

Goldfrapp: Felt Mountain - Glorious vocals, whistling and yodelling from Alison Goldfrapp allied to trip-hop oompah funk(no, really!). Totally unique, totally gorgeous. Buy it and find out!

I've got the Calaxico album on order from www.absound.ca There was a track on last months Uncut, excellent stuff. I will buy the Goldfrapp album blind, its had so many stunning reviews there must be something to it...

Tony.

Posted on: 16 January 2001 by Lee
quote:
I've got the Calaxico album on order from www.absound.ca There was a track on last months Uncut, excellent stuff. I will buy the Goldfrapp album blind, its had so many stunning reviews there must be something to it...

Tony, if you get on with Goldfrapp try 'How to Save the World' by Helicopter Girl. Mercury Award nominee, excellent Sneaker Pimps/Morcheeba style trip-hop but a bit more quirky (which I prefer).

What's the service/prices like at absound? I usually buy from www.carbondisks.com (great service, free postage if buying £30+, deal mainly in industrial/electronica/'The Wire'-style stuff)

cheers
Lee

Posted on: 29 January 2001 by Trevor Warwick
I also bought this recently - great fun, and as a bonus, probably the best CD sleeve I've now got.

There are audio-visual samples on http://www.lemonjelly.ky

What DO you do in the bath ?

Trevor