Music of the week (Sunday 26/11/00)

Posted by: Tony L on 26 November 2000

Just one item this week, so I’ll waffle on a bit about it...

Joy Division ‘Heart and soul’ – 4CD box set. This is currently available for around half price from both HMV and Virgin at the moment, I got it from HMV for 16.99, which has to be said is a bit of a bargain. ‘Heart and soul’ is a pretty decent attempt to collect all Joy Divisions recordings together in one place, it does not actually succeed, but it come very close. The obvious omissions are ‘At a later date’ from the ‘Short Circuit’ live 10”, the rest of the RCA demos (only three tracks are included), and one of the Peel sessions is conspicuous by its absence.

What you get is the ‘Ideal for living’ EP, ‘Unknown Pleasures’ (IMHO the best rock album bar none!), ‘Closer’, a hefty chunk of ‘Still’ and all Factory Records singles including the Factory Sample, plus the Earcom stuff and a whole lot of live and demo stuff that I was unaware even existed prior to seeing this compilation. Some really interesting stuff such as a demo of ‘Ceremony’ recorded prior to Curtis’s death. There is also a quite substantial booklet containing the considerable verbage one would expect from Paul Morley and Jon Savage.

My only criticism of this package is that the track listing and track order is very confusing, even for me as an established Joy Division fan. Some examples: the ‘Ideal for living’ EP, which is the earliest recording included here, does not crop up until CD3, ‘Unknown Pleasures’, and ‘Closer’, whilst thankfully still having their tracks in the correct order do not start at the beginning of a CD, ‘Unknown Pleasures’ starts at track three of CD1, and ‘Closer’ at track seven of CD2… no noticeable logic there.

Other than these minor criticisms it is an absolutely stunning buy at this price both for newcomers to Joy Division’s output, and people like myself who have just about all their records. Pretty decent mastering quality too. Recommended.

Tony.

Posted on: 27 November 2000 by Rico
quote:
Joy Division ‘Heart and soul’ – 4CD box set.

Hey! - I just bought that yesterday too! £17.00 at Fopp in Glasgow. Looking forward to hearing it!

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 27 November 2000 by Todd A
Two purchases: Wilhelm Furtwängler’s ‘48-’52 cycle of Beethoven’s symphonies, and the Annie Fischer Artist Profile, both on EMI.

First, the Beethoven. Great stuff, if inconsistent. I cannot proclaim this the greatest cycle, but I can praise certain performances. The 1st, 6th, and 9th are the highlights of the cycle. The 1st and 6th are early ‘50s recordings with the Vienna Philharmonic and the 9th is the 1951 Bayreuth performance. They are all truly inspired. This version of the 1st is the best I have heard. It is sufficiently quick and not too dramatic; it is just right. And the sound is simply amazing for its age. I’ve heard stereo recordings from the late 60s that don’t sound as good.

The 9th, too, is incredible. It is the best performance I have heard (out of about eight or so). There is an intensity to the performance that I have not heard on any other version. And, oh, the Adagio! Generally this is one of those movements where I lose a sense of time, and that was most certainly the case here. But even more than that, I lost my sense of place. Perhaps I wax too poetic, but through the third movement the performance is heavenly. The finale is wonderful, too, but the choral parts, alas, are too blurred too be effective. The solo turns are fine, but the full-scale forces just lack a little something. There are other excellent and great versions of this work, not least Toscanini’s NBC version and Böhm’s VPO version, but this is first among equals, so to write.

And then there’s the 6th. This is by far the best version of the 6th I have heard. Every movement is perfectly executed. It is certainly slower than other versions, and it is the least programmatic version I’ve had the pleasure of hearing. The dramatic intensity is high indeed. And the sound is the best in the set. If you love Beethoven, and you love this work, buy this disc – it’s available separately. The next best version I have heard is Toscanini’s, and it’s a relatively distant second.

The rest of the set ranges from excellent to disappointing. The 3rd is definitely an outstanding performance, though I think that Böhm did it better, and there are other equally good version available. Don’t get me wrong, though: this is a great performance. The 7th is excellent. The tempos are just right: not too fast and not too slow. The sound is less than perfect, but it is worth hearing. My impression of the 8th is much the same. Unfortunately, the sound of the Stockholm performance is less than exemplary. The 4th is excellent but not especially inspiring, but then, this is not my favorite symphony by Beethoven. The 2nd is a decent performance, but the sound is atrocious. This should be farmed out to Testament. I just couldn’t get into it through the 78 haze and crackles.

That leaves the 5th. Sad to say, this was the biggest disappointment of the set. It is way too slow. There is intensity and energy there but it just does not sound right. At times, it is even slower than Bruno Walter’s version with the Columbia Symphony Orchestra. The beginning of the finale, in particular, is just too slow for it’s own good. You can feel the emotional intensity Furtwängler exacts from the players, but as a whole, it’s just not convincing enough. There are a number of better versions out there. Karajan (early ‘60s version), Böhm, Kleiber (if you can stand the brightness); all are better. And then there’s Hogwood’s version with the AAM. Yes, a period version. This is actually my favorite. It’s the fastest version I’ve heard yet it maintains the appropriate intensity. Texturally it’s lighter than big-band versions, but it pushes all the right buttons.

My experience with this set does make me want to seek out other Furtwängler-led performances, especially live versions reissued by the various historical labels. I think it does offer a glimpse at his approach to the symphonies, so I know, for instance, that I will seek out the 3rd, 6th, and 9th in particular. I do recommend the set generally for those who haven’t experienced these performances. And since the discs are available individually, one can cherry pick if desired.

I snagged the Annie Fischer set used, and all I can write is that it is a quite good, if uneven set. It has some Schubert, Schumann, Bartok, and Beethoven. Not surprisingly, the Beethoven makes the set. The Moonlight, Pathetique, and Op. 111 sonatas are all incredibly wonderful. The fingering in the finale of the Moonlight is the clearest, most articulate I have heard. Op 111 is profound. Looks like I’ll have to investigate her last set on Hungaroton. The two Schubert impromptus are excellent, although Uchida does them better (and, Lipatti, too, on the two he recorded). The Bartok Third Piano Concerto is likewise excellent, though Igor Markevitch’s conducting is more intriguing than Fischer’s playing. It will not supplant either Anda’s or Schiff’s version for me. The Schumann is good if not particularly remarkable. If I hadn’t recently purchased the Kempff set of Schumann’s work, I would have probably been more impressed.

Posted on: 27 November 2000 by Jon Moxon
Silent Poets - Firm Roots
Quite like this, even though I bought it on the strength of its cover from the bargain bin. May look for some more.

Bob Marley - Natty Dread
This follows Kaya and Live! Has failed to grow much so far.

Joni Mitchell - Hissing of Summer Lawns
This follows Blue. Hmmm...Vey smooth, very polished, needs more time to grow.

Beatles - 1
Not really that keen on the Beatles but somehow couldn't resist. Sound quality is superb, certainly many of these sound very different from how I remember them. Is that because I've only ever heard them on naff transistor radios?

JonM

Posted on: 28 November 2000 by Nigel Cavendish
Kelly Joe Phelps - Shine eyed mister zen: blues style guitar and lyrics delivered in an almost throw-away manner. Very laid back but very engaging.

Le mystere des Voix Bulgares: proof, if any were needed, that the human voice is the best and only instrument you need. Enthralling, disturbing, discordant, beguiling.

cheers

Nigel

[This message was edited by Nigel Cavendish on TUESDAY 28 November 2000 at 13:59.]

Posted on: 28 November 2000 by Arun Mehan
Finally I have the same musical tastes as the sages on this forum! What a bargain indeed, $16.99 is a steal. Geesh, I'll have to look into this one for sure. Joe I hope you get it. When you do, go to Vuk's place and play all of it! If he complains, beat him over the head.
Posted on: 29 November 2000 by John C
OJC Vinyl Splurge

Sonny Rollins - Way Out West, + 4, Tenor madness, Sax Collosus
Charles Mingus - At the Cafe Bohemia
Thelonius Monk - Monks Music
Art Blakey & Jazz Messengers- Mosaic a second hand 180g Blue note "Audiophile" version, not that I can hea r any difference on my record player
The OJC are marvellous though a tad warped.Rollins was really somthing in those first few years (still is ofcourse) and the Tenor Madness really stunning on vinyl. Makes me want to get more Coleman Hawkins now. Joy Division: we must be of an age Tony undoubtedly the best album ever ...although Trout Mask Replica....

By the way the covers of Way Out west and Monks Music! Who thought of these and why did Monk or Rollins go along with them? Hilarious.

Posted on: 29 November 2000 by woodface
John C, I believe the reason for the Monk cover is that Monk had often been accused of being childlike or even childish in musical terms. This was of course mainly in his earlier years but this albumn cover was a suitable repost. Monk is one of my all-time favourites and I cannot comprehend people who dislike his work.
Posted on: 29 November 2000 by John C
Woodface, couldn't agree more about Monk. I love his music and always amazed to hear anyone suggest otherwise. I suggested it in another thread but if you like Monk try Eric Dolphy esp "Out to Lunch" with the opening track Hat and Beard a hymn to Thelonius. Interesting explanation of the cover, great deadpan expression on his face. a
Posted on: 01 December 2000 by woodface
I think I gleaned this from his autobiography, I'm pretty sure its called 'Round Midnight'. Have you got the 'with Sonny Rollins' album? This is superb - turn up the volume and it is one of the most live sounding records I have.
Posted on: 01 December 2000 by John C
Not yet (on OJC) but will find it this weekend.Im plundering a shop in Berwick street but dont see many other sources in London. Suggestions? I assume you have the Coltrane plus Monk albums. Equally good. By the way there are very few jazz threads/posts here. (3717 on classsical quizz). Extraordinary, one chorus of Tinkle Tinkle better than any Beethoven symphony. Wasn't Naim Audio and the Naim sound invented to give glory to Max Roach?
Posted on: 04 December 2000 by Kevin Hughes
Nigel Cavendish wrote
quote:
Le mystere des Voix Bulgares: proof, if any were needed, that the human voice is the best and only instrument you need. Enthralling, disturbing, discordant, beguiling.

This seems to be one of those records everyone ends up owning eventualy, regardless of what style of music they like.

Kevin.

[This message was edited by Kevin Hughes on MONDAY 04 December 2000 at 10:49.]