Satchmo and The Duke: a must buy!

Posted by: Todd A on 16 January 2001

Inspired partially by the excellent Jazz documentary currently running on PBS, partially by the desire to add to my jazz collection, and partially by the sale at my local Tower Records, I bought the (re-)re-mastered disc “Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington: The Summit.” Let me tell you, this is a jazz disc to buy. It most emphatically is not the best work by either artist, but it is a great deal of fun to listen to. The music just has a sense of fun and energy about it that can’t be ignored.

On top of that the sound is truly spectacular. It was remastered at 24 / 96, and the results are simply stunning. The music does not sound 40 years old; Satchmo sounds like he’s alive and kicking. In fact, this disc sounds better than some more recent recordings (Branford Marsalis’s Renaissance being a good example). If you like either musician – and who doesn’t – and if you don’t already have this disc, buy it.

Posted on: 19 January 2001 by Andrew L. Weekes
Another totally awesome record is 'Together Again' - Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington.

I have a vinyl copy on Allegro Records, but it may be a re-release, the recording was first published in 1966.

It sounds similar to the album you describe just so full of life and soul, it's impossible not to like it.

Even though one can hear the dropouts in the original master tapes as the treble fades and returns it just sounds so musical.

It's a perfect example of the Hi-Fi vs. Music Debate, it's not the former, but boy is it the latter cool

If this is ever re-released you must buy it.

I was very fortunate that my first employer used to run a record shop, with a penchant for Jazz, in particular Louis Armstrong - I acquired a number of early vinyl releases of some fantastic music, that still sounds wonderful today.

Andy.

P.S. I've got the original mono vinyl of 'Louis Armstrong meets Oscar Peterson' that Jonathan mentions, I can recommend that too. It's amazing to think a recording from 1959 can sound so good.

Andrew L. Weekes
alweekes@audiophile.com

Posted on: 19 January 2001 by Todd A
I'll be on the look out for that disc. And the Ellington and Coltrane offering sounds quite tempting as well. So many discs, so little time (and money . . .).