Would a coax digital cable be included?
Posted on: 29 November 2004 by SimonJ
I doubt it!!
Posted on: 29 November 2004 by kuma
quote:
Originally posted by SimonJ:
I doubt it!!

hmm.. odd.

A different lead would influence the sound so much. I can't imagin Naim would leave it up to the user.

Besides, a Naim CDP comes with a lead, why not with the DVD 5?

They *should* supply an intended digital cable, imho.
Since the lead carries digital rather than analogue, I suspect that although a good quality lead is recommended, it's less critical than with an analogue one.

The DVD5 can also be plugged in in many a combination of ways, optical digital, coax digital, analogue multi channel audio, analogue stereo etc... It depends very much on the users setup as to which lead you would require.

I suspect you may get a Naim specific DIN analogue lead if anything, but the digital ones may be left up to the user. Only my thought, so maybe be talking complete cod sh1te!! Smile

Have a quick read of the PDF manual if you haven't already.

http://www.naim-audio.com/download/man_dvd5-av2_english.pdf
quote:
Originally posted by SimonJ:
Since the lead carries digital rather than analogue, I suspect that although a good quality lead is recommended, it's less critical than with an analogue one.

Not from my experience.

An interface between a transport, DAC and digital cable can have a profound effect on how things sound at the end as much as a set of analogue cable.

Many told me so long as a cable has 75 ohms impedance, should suffice. Yet, so far hasn't been true with my experirence. ( in addtion, very difficult to get a ture 75 ohms because of an added load from connectors and so forth, I'd think )

Various digital cables, just like analogue leads, I hear different sound. Red Face
BTW, an optical connection is awful. Frown

This is one of the reason, I loath digital separates. ( i.e. transport/DAC thing )

So, I'd think it only makes sense if Naim supplies one. Smile
It would be nice if they did wouldn't it?!

Problem is with so many differnt ways of connecting it up for multichannel surround as well as a few for stereo which one(s) will they choose to chuck in for free.

I'm absolutly with you that different digital leads make a difference. I just tend to think that they are not so important as the analogue ones. My tiny little mind does think in strange ways though!! Eek

In my warped head if I bought an analogue lead and a digital one, I'd probably be happier spending less on a digital lead than I would on an analogue.

Anyway at the price they will be charging I'm sure they'll be throwing in every possible lead you may need for free!! Winker

I think the least Naim can do is chuck in a free stereo Naim DIN lead for CD audio and a newly invented Naim coax digital for DVD surround!!

Big Grin
Posted on: 29 November 2004 by Steve2701
Hey!

Dont forget the 5m component cables with bnc at the DVD5 end... & they will need 3 way & 5 way!.. Oh and a nice scart connector lead would be good too??
Oh yes and a nice DVI-D cable too please!!
oh gees...

Give 'em an inch and take a mile, huh? Big Grin

no.

Give 'em a milimeter and take a kilometer. ( hmm.. somehow doesn't sound the same ) Winker

Simon,

Wouldn't you be using a coax digital out of a DVD5 into the AV2?
Yes I think so. I have always used coax on all my previous 4 DVD players, well except my current one (as it doesn't bloody have one!!). I'm not sure if I'd be interested in using the DVD5 as a CD player or trying the DVD-AUDIO option which I think would need the two analogue DIN leads + optional multi-channel upgrade. I'd be looking at it for films mainly. I may be slightly interested in DVD-audio at a later date if more software came out. I'm still not sure which of the new fancy formats will take off SACD/DVD-Audio etc...
Posted on: 29 November 2004 by Manu
I'm supposed to receive my first sold production unit later this week, i'll tell you what's in the box.
The Naim digital coax does exist. Will it be included, i really don't know.

Emmanuel
Euphonie

All opinions are my own, and reflect those of the organisation i work for, even if not stipulated.
Posted on: 29 November 2004 by Mark R
Firstly, apologies for taking the thread in a slightly different direction.

However, a quick question for you Manu: any news on how to make a DVD5 play DVDs from all regions? I was surprised to see a region label on the back of each unit. I for one have DVDs from both the US and the UK, so was pleased to see the auto PAL/NTSC conversion. Do you know if there will be a simple, programmatic way to make the player multi-region (as Arcam do)?
quote:
Originally posted by Manu:
The Naim digital coax does exist. Will it be included, i really don't know.

Makes sense.

I was wondering what they have been using at the show thus far.

Since Naim takes the whole system approach, I figure they want to minimise the variables. ( hope they will not charge arms and legs for it ) Smile
Posted on: 30 November 2004 by Steve2701
To be honest, it never actually crossed my mind that Naim might put in some form of connecting cables, as there is no saying how far apart units will be. With that in mind, all (or so I thought....) of my cables are in place & ready to rock just as soon as the player arrives.

For the digital connection I forked out for one of QED's latest offerings, triple screened, guaranteed 75 ohm.. (arm leg & several teeth jobbies).

Then I read in the instructions that I will also be needing a 'cat5' connector as well..(to connect to the AV2) so I wonder if that will be bundled as well.. or do I have to go robbing stuff from the PC!!
Posted on: 30 November 2004 by Adam Meredith
The DVD5 will not include a coax digital cable. We have developed a high quality one of our own - The DC1 (£149.95 inc) - but available separately.

[This message was edited by Adam Meredith on Mon 06 December 2004 at 15:23.]
Posted on: 30 November 2004 by Steve2701
Rumaging through receipts... What was that noise Dick Dastardly used to make....
Posted on: 30 November 2004 by kuma
quote:
Originally posted by HiDef Bob:
I never use the cables that come with any component ... they only collect dust! I prefer to buy my own high end cables separately.

oh?

Didn't care for the stock Naim leads?

What are you using instead?

Normally I agree with you except that Naim kit does sound the best with the supplied leads.( so far anyways ) Winker
Posted on: 30 November 2004 by kuma
quote:
Originally posted by Adam Meredith:
The DVD5 will not include a coax digital cable. We have developed a high quality one of our own - The DC1 (£149.95 inc) but available separately.

Adam,

Got the pix of DC1?
Curious to see which RCA connector you guys ended up using. Smile

[This message was edited by Adam Meredith on Tue 07 December 2004 at 11:13.]
Posted on: 02 December 2004 by Manu
Opened the box with the customer (one of the 2 units shipped, HiDefBob), it includes: the remote, an AC cable, the manual that`s all folks.

Emmanuel
Euphonie

All opinions are my own, and reflect those of the organisation i work for, even if not stipulated.
Posted on: 02 December 2004 by kuma
Manu,

Are they sending you the digital cable separately?
Bob,
We, canadian, should receive an other shipment before Xmas, i hope you will be lucky and my other customers too.

Emmanuel
Euphonie

Kuma,
DC1 should be ordered separately. The digital cable i have came with a DVD5 prototype, I don`t know if it is the final version. So i can`t post pictures.

Emmanuel
Euphonie

Posted on: 02 December 2004 by karyboue
quote:
Originally posted by Manu:
Opened the box with the customer (one of the 2 units shipped, HiDefBob), it includes: the remote, an AC cable, the manual that`s all folks.

Emmanuel
Euphonie

Hi Manu,

There's no Din-Din interconnect included ?
Posted on: 03 December 2004 by Manu
NOP.

Emmanuel
Euphonie

Posted on: 04 December 2004 by karyboue
I had not thought about it before but is the DIN cable sold with the AV2 (normally made to connect the AV2 to a HiFi preamp) the same that a standard grey interconnect ?

Couldn't it be used to connect DVD5 to AV2 in analog ?
Posted on: 04 December 2004 by Manu
Karyboue,
No, the grey interconnect supplied with the AV2 is a reversed one (in on out and out on in).

Emmanuel
Euphonie