cartridge advice for naim/spendor

Posted by: rp on 17 August 2000

Hello,

I'd appreciate any advice on a new cartridge. The system is a Linn Axis/Akito/K18-2/102/Hicap/250/Spendor SP1-2/Naim and Chord wire. I was thinking of a Dynavector 10X4-2 but would consider a 23RS-2 if I knew that it would work equally well in the Akito and the rest of the system. I've gotten used to the K18 after all this time but thought it sounded less alive than my old K9, though it's much clearer and more CD like. I'd like something with a bit of the grunt and growl of the K9 but the clarity of the K18. The system could use a bit more dynamics.

-Is the 10X4 a good choice for the Naim/Spendors and especially the Akito? Will it work well with my MM board?

-Would the 23RSMK2 be a significantly better choice in my system? Would it agree with the Akito which is more of a MM type of arm? I was told that putting a low output MC in this arm is a bad idea.

-I also have an E board, can I use this with the 23RS or must I buy the S or K boards? What's the difference between the S or K boards. I assume the S is for people with EMF problems. I do suffer from dirty ether (and mains), so I'm worried about buying a low output MC and finding I can't really use it.

-Any better choices out there in the $500 range?

-If low output MCs are ok for my arm and system should I really consider busting the bank and going for a 17D2MK-2?

Thanks,
rpr

Posted on: 17 August 2000 by Kevin Hughes
rp,

I used to own a Axis / Akito and hated it, it lasted only a few months before I had to trade it in for a better deck. In hindsight I prefered the Rega P3 I had before, it was fun where the Axis was not. For the sort of money you are looking at for a 17D2 you could get something like a s/h LP12. I really don't think the Axis is worth sending money on, sorry.

Kevin.

Posted on: 17 August 2000 by davidf
I have an lp12/ekos via 102/super/250 which is similar to your system as far as the electronics. I had a k18 which I changed recently to a rega exact ($600). I thought that the exact outperformed my admittedly old k18. I did not want to invest too much in a cartride nor did I want to put mc boards in my 102 which is another expense. That being said, I agree with the others, I would take the k18 and put it in a new turntable ie. LP12 or rega etc. To upgrade your cartridge on your tabe and arm is putting the cart(tridge) before the horse! regards, david.
Posted on: 18 August 2000 by Chris Metcalfe
As 'Spendor' appears in the title of this Topic it seems an appropriate place to note that one of the hifi mags (+ ?) this month implies that Spendor are no more.

This would be a great shame, as, apart from anything else, they're possibly the single most revered UK company on the US high-end scene, and this therefore might have implications for the UK hifi industry. Possibly.