A Postlet Buffet

Posted by: Richard Paget on 19 October 2000

Just a few postlets----(from the artist formerly known as Byronbay)

Thanks for your collective help on my previous posts--

a)Bought the CDI --Most impressed--in the same postcode as my LP12--less detail and imagery
but perhaps more slam on rock(cheap cartridge)--oooh but what a wonderful tonality--so unlike a the CD's I've auditioned.
I didn't directly audition against a 3.5-but wasn't quite as impressed on listening through a similar system
great energy though.

b)42.5-->72 with boards pulled----a continental improvement---I just can't imagine what a 82 or 52 must be like!!!
But a darn warm sounding preamp though--I can see the reasoning for the 102/72 debate recently.

However this debate now must FINALLY be over--the 72 is a deleted product--so its down to the secondhand values-----72=£300-350 102=~£750 hicap=£350-400
--Is a 102 really better than a 72 with Hicap--my ears definately don't think so.

c)replaced my LP12 with a S/H cirkused one(admittedly it also had a new motor fitted)
I'm afraid the argument that an LP12 sounds better without Cirkus will be one of those
statements that I will keep on reading but marvel at how wonderfully variable the subjective human
perception of hearing can be.ASTONISHING improvement--since when has a better engineered bearing been bad for a turntable.Both decks were of the same vintage and had recently been tuned by the same person.
If its not the cirkus I suggest you all go and buy the new type motor for your Linn.

System therefore:
LP12/lingo/ittok/AT OC7--CDI--72/140/hicap biamped 110--Nac5/Blk Snaics/---MA 852MD GOLD on HBSI stands

-M&^% 4 tier on order +? add ref table
-To sell my 2x 42.5's that I now have with my 110+140 and buy a 250(S/H)of course like the cheapskate I am.
-Undecided on a cartridge.

A Statement----
I am astonished at how good and extensive the advice is from the customer sevices dept at Naim--I've rung them twice this week--overstaying my welcome but they are very patient when 1 Q turns in to 10.Since coming back to the UK I've yet to bond with a good dealer in London(I do actually intend to buy something that isn't secondhand soon--e.g cartridge).

****A question---calling all Eposonians
MY monitor Audio 852MD golds have become just a little 2 warm sounding the 72 has just tipped the balance
----They were always a little warm in the midrange but give startling imagery and vocals.
Anyone still own some EPOS ES14's?--I thought these were just stonking several years ago--I've seen a pair for ~£200
I'd hope to sell my 852's for ~£150 so it would be more of a tonal tweak than an upgrade while I save up for some SBL's
Anyone auditioned these against the opposition e.g intro's ~£350

Cheers
Richard

Posted on: 20 October 2000 by Rico
Nice one, Richard. That 110 should sell very easily, it's a cracking amp.

quote:
--since when has a better engineered bearing been bad for a turntable.

Sound thinking.

Weren't the 852's twin metal coned drivers, with a tweeter in the middle, tall skinny cabinets? I thought they were pretty good, myself. ES14's?? Stonking value. Someone here might mave a pair for sale.... make sure you get genuine Epos stands for 11's, 12's or 14's - they're essential to get the right sound; nothing else will do.

Rico - musichead