Hendrix in "The Sins" (UK)

Posted by: MarkEJ on 08 December 2000

I know astonishingly little about Hendrix, but in the final episode of the "The Sins" on BBC1 recently, a bit of "Voodoo Chile" was used as a plot device.

"Uncle Erwin" (Frank Finlay) said "I love this bit" and broke off a deep and meaninglful conversation briefly to turn up the volume on his boombox in order the better to hear a blistering Hammond solo. Obviously I have heard this track before, but it never grabbed me as much; it was so good it almost distracted me from the plot...

It sounded like it was probably a live recording, and I'm keen to get it – anyone know which Hendrix album contains this version of "Voodoo Chile"?

All suggestions welcome.

Best;

Mark

(I still don't like this
software very much)

Posted on: 08 December 2000 by bob atherton
Marko,

The recording is indeed a live one from Electric Ladyland. The organ being tickled by no less than Stevie Winwood.

If you are going to the pub tonight, call by & I will lend you the CD. BTW it really is a stonking track. The very best version of Voodoo Chile IMHO.

Bob.

Posted on: 08 December 2000 by fred simon
Hendrix has always been in my personal pantheon, and Voodoo Chile is one of his best. The version in question, on Electric Ladyland, is not a concert or club recording but rather "live" in the studio, with friends hanging out and making sounds of approval.

Stevie Winwood on organ and the great Jack Casady (Jefferson Airplane) on bass.

Posted on: 09 December 2000 by bob atherton
Hi Fred,

I always wondered how that track sounded so live & yet the audience so small. Until now I assumed that they were all so stoned!

To me this track encapsulates what Hendrix must have been about, the other Hendrix track that I would take to my desert island would probably be Red House.

If anyone ever says, I like the blues but Hendrix was never _really_ an out & out blues guitarist I would play Red House.

It's a shame that the rest of his recordings could not have the same scale & dynamic as Voodoo Chile.
I think the other great opportunities missed were the recordings of Cream. Everyone that I have spoken to who actually saw Cream said their overriding memory was the huge wall of sound they they produced. On 90% of their studio output I wish my Naim had tone controls, the bass is so weak & thin.

I kind of have a little experience in this as in the mid 70's I used to play bass is a pretty heavy guitar, bass & drums band called Mantis. All our studio efforts _never_ captured the scale of us live. The only recording that worked for me was a simply made live one at The Marquee Club (London UK).

Bob.

Posted on: 09 December 2000 by fred simon
Hendrix was nothing if not a first rate blues player. Red House on Hendrix In the West is a revelation.

I have a CD entitled Red House put out by Hal Leonard Publishing as a sort of educational package with booklet. It has only one tune on it, Red House, six versions, most previously unreleased, all really good and a few sublime.

Posted on: 10 December 2000 by Andrew L. Weekes
quote:
Red House on Hendrix In the West is a revelation.

Seconded, and Little Wing (from the same album) will have you in tears (on a good system) for the loss of the only man truly at one with an electric guitar - SOB frown

Andy.

Andrew L. Weekes
alweekes@audiophile.com

Posted on: 11 December 2000 by John Channing
quote:
Hendrix was nothing if not a first rate blues player. Red House on Hendrix In the West is a revelation.

I bought a used copy of this on vinyl for 99p many years ago and it is probably the best recording I have ever heard, absolutely stunning! The drum sounds are simply incredible.

Music is the answer.

Posted on: 08 January 2001 by MarkEJ
…your replies are much appreciated. I suffered an infopoop error when I did the original post, so I assumed the message hadn't reached the server until Bob A told me otherwise. I sense an impending purchase.

Best;

Mark

(an imperfect
forum environment is
better than none)