Old 52/PS vs 52/supercap

Posted by: Keith on 18 October 2000

Views about the degree of improvement from the older model with dedicated power supply to the supercap supply?
At present using CDI 82 2hicaps and SBL
Thanks
Keith
Posted on: 20 October 2000 by Keith
I will use with 52.I might have a chance of older model so was interested in comparisons with new 52 and supercap to see if a "bargain" would really be so or if false economy.
Tyhanks for your comments
Posted on: 20 October 2000 by Martin Payne
I don't have direct experience with this myself, but the 52/52PS combo has been equated to an 82/SuperCap in performance terms.

This does get a little complicated, though, because as the gear gets to around 10 years old it benefits greatly from a service.

My 52 cost around the £100 mark to service and the 52PS didn't really need anything done, if I remember correctly.

My whole system was serviced at the same time, and was hugely better afterwards.

Budget £200 or so for a service for anything more than eight years old - see the main Naim-Audio website for a list of ages and serial numbers.

cheers, Martin

P.S. you may already be aware, but the 52 head has also undergone some changes over the years as well. I.E. changes are not limited to just the 52PS vs SuperCap.