Please help with 4-channel home theater

Posted by: jpk73 on 05 December 2004

Hi! I just moved to my new appartement. Existing gear:

a) setup1: 52/135s/active NBLs
b) setup2: 72/140/Kans
c) Computer with two stereo USB -> analog/digital-audio interfaces (= external USB soundcard).

I want to use my existing computer to play DVDs and I would like to use the Kans for the rear channels. My questions:

1.) I can connect both USB-boxes to my computer. Is it possible to setup the computer so that one USB-box gives the main signal to the 52/NBLs and the other USB-box the rear signal to the 72/Kans?

2.) I need a DVD-software that can assign each channel to any sound-out device. But I only can select one soundcard in my Windows 98! How can I use 2 soundcards at the same time?

Jun
Posted on: 05 December 2004 by Jay
Hi Jun

I think you're going to need a 5.1 soundcard. Route the main channels to the 52/135 and the rear channels to the 72/140. You need to do all the levels, etc, with separate front and rear volumes....

It's doable, but it's going to be a pain. AV2 is much easier Winker

Jay
Posted on: 05 December 2004 by Geoff P
Jun
I wonder if this might help.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/

Basically it's a two way device which can input or OUTPUT an analog stereo signal via it's connection to a USB port. Myaybe two of these could be used with your two USB boxes to give two stereo pairs for connection the way you want.
You are going have fun adjusting the volume controls but it might work.

regards
GEOFF

"Just trying to make a NAIM for myself"
Posted on: 05 December 2004 by jpk73
Geoff: this is very similar to my 2 USB-soundcards. But I don't know how to route the front channels through one USB-soundcard and the rear channles through the other USB-soundcard.

You are going have fun adjusting the volume controls but it might work: I wanted to adjust the 52 and the 72 to 12 o'clock position and manage volume through the computer - is this a good idea?

- Jun
Posted on: 06 December 2004 by Jay
quote:
Originally posted by Jun Keller:
Geoff: this is very similar to my 2 USB-soundcards. But I don't know how to route the front channels through one USB-soundcard and the rear channles through the other USB-soundcard.

That's why I recommended you buy a 5.1 card.

I don't think what you're proposing will work. I've never seen anyone run two sound devices under windows.

Jay
Posted on: 06 December 2004 by Martin Payne
Cool Edit allows you to choose which sound device to use to capture audio from.

Implies more than one is possible.

However, 24 bit, 96KHz, 5.1 channel cards are available for about £50, and I believe USB versions are not a lot more.

cheers, Martin

E-mail:- MartinPayne (at) Dial.Pipex.com. Put "Naim" in the title.
Posted on: 16 December 2004 by jpk73
I found the solution!

- Jun

P.S.: Alex, I don't have a TV...