New Naim purchase

Posted by: Roger Ridley on 24 September 2000

I'm considering purchasing a Rega Planet, Naim 92/90 and Royd Doublet speakers combination. Can anyone tell me how well this combination is likely to work together? Haven't been able to find out much about the Doublets.
Posted on: 25 September 2000 by Mike Hanson
For about the same money, you're better to go for a Naim3.5/Flat-Cap/Nait3/RoydMinstrelSE. It will sound much better. If this is too much, you can always skip the Flat-Cap for now.

The Planet is an OK player, but it's not as good as a bare 3.5, and definitely inferior to a 3.5/Flat-Cap.

The Nait3 sounds almost as good as the 92/90. I just isn't as obviously upgradeable (although you can still use it as either a pre or power with another Naim separate). Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Smilies do not a forum make.

Posted on: 25 September 2000 by Nigel Cavendish
Roger

if you are looking to spend that amount of money you would be well advised to visit a dealer to audition a few systems that are within your budget.

cheers

Nigel

Posted on: 25 September 2000 by Arye_Gur
Mike
I added to my Nait3 a flatcap and it improves
very much the phono stage.

Arie

Posted on: 25 September 2000 by Frank Abela
Doublets are fine speakers, easy to drive too. I concur with the others here that if you can, go for the better source with the integrated amp, as opposed to the weaker source with pre/power. The result will be superior with the better source (e.g. cd3.5).

Regards,
Frank.

Posted on: 25 September 2000 by Rico
quote:
I'm considering purchasing a Rega Planet, Naim 92/90 and Royd Doublet speakers combination. Can anyone tell me how well this combination is likely to work together? Haven't been able to find out much about the Doublets.

Roger

you have one of the world's best dealers there - work with him, and your ears. That way you should avoid disappointment.

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 26 September 2000 by Nigel Cavendish
quote:
If you're using the only the Planet, then a 92/90 will sound better than a Nait3. However, a 3.5/Nait3 will sound better than a Planet/92/90.

Now I have not tried this (have you?) but it does not seem logical that a budget CD player would sound better through a more revealing pre/power amp (not that I have found the 92/90 to be that much better than the nait 3 btw) than it would through a lesser amp which might mask any deficiencies rather than highlight them.

My vote would be the 3.5(flatcap if affordable)nait3/minstrels - but hey that's whatt I've got!

And a mana rack of course.

cheers

Nigel

Posted on: 26 September 2000 by Mike Hanson
I had a Rega Planet here in my office for a few days. It's not up to the level of the 3.5, but it's still a good player. Although the better amp will display potential difficiencies, with CD players this is usually a digital hashiness. In the case of the Planet, it doesn't have that problem. (In fact, it's almost too smooth.) At the time I did a comparison between my Yamaha integrated and the a 32.5/110. The better amp configuration sounded better, as expected.

I'm not really one to adhere to this notion of better boxes showing off the deficiencies of lesser components in the chain (providing that they are all basically acceptable). For example, I tried running Polk Audio speakers (worth approximately $300US) with my CDX/82/2*Hi/250. Although they certainly aren't as good as my Albions, they sounded suprisingly good!

Similarly, I use my TV, VCRs, 5-DVD changer and cassette deck as sources (along with using the DVD changer as a CD multi-player occasionally). They sound much better through the rest of my gear than they would through a lesser system. I suppose that there may be a few negative traits that are highlighted here and there, but these are far overshadowed by the increased performance.

I think the better argument is that of a "weak link". If you're using a poor source, then the rest of the system is somewhat limited in what it can present. By using a better player, your system is allow to stretch itself and really shine.

Consequently, it's important to have all the components at an "acceptable" level, try to be source heavy, and get the most bang for your buck.

Another example: I often suggest that someone with a 3.5, Hi-Cap, Flat-Cap and Naim amps should put the Hi-Cap on the pre-amp, as it will provide more improvement versus the Flat-Cap than it would on the 3.5. This is counte to standard "source first" intuition, but it sounds better that way.

In the end, you should always listen for yourself and make your own decision. Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

[This message was edited by Mike Hanson on WEDNESDAY 27 September 2000 at 14:01.]

Posted on: 26 September 2000 by P
Nice slip mike!

Regards P.ahuh?

Posted on: 26 September 2000 by Roger Ridley
Another source option for the Naim amps is the new Marantz KI CD player - September What-HiFi gave a glowing account and describe it as a revealing player. Given it looks like I can't lay my hands on a Naim 3.5, might this be a better source option than the Planet?

By the way - I now have the Minstrel SE's running in in the lounge. Does anyone know if the bass driver in the SE's is the same as in the recently upgraded Doublets?

Thanks for the views so far. So much to learn. So much music to listen to!

RR

Posted on: 16 October 2000 by Rico
nice one, Roger!

'trust it's all settling in ok. Did you end up exploring many other options?

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 16 October 2000 by Mike Hanson
quote:
I now have the Minstrel SE's running in in the lounge. Does anyone know if the bass driver in the SE's is the same as in the recently upgraded Doublets?

Although I've never had this confirmed for certain, I'm pretty sure that the bass drivers in all of the Royds are the same. When they recently announced an upgraded driver, this applied to almost all the speakers in the line (including my Merlins and Albions, but not the A7X). Therefore, I think the answer to your question is "Yes". However, I'm not sure when they would have started appearing in the new Minstrel SEs.

BTW, I prefer the Minstrel SE over the Doublet. The Doublet has a bit better bass, but the SE sounds more "right" to my ears. Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Posted on: 17 October 2000 by Roger Ridley
Good spotting Rico! Yes I bought the 92/90 system with Rega Planet and Doublets. I compared 92/90 with Nait3 and 92/90 definitely better. I got a decent deal on it for stock run-out so wasn't much gain if I'd gone for the Nait3.

I spent almost a week swapping Minstrel SE's and Doublets and just couldn't decide. SE's might have had a slightly greater togetherness and rhythm but the room is quite large and open plan and at the end of the day the Doublets fill the space better and produce a bigger sound. The SE's tended to seem a little strained. Not much in it though and I'm very happy with the Doublets. We have a concrete floor and on good recordings they sound superb right down low.

So didn't have any spare cash for a better source but given the rate of change at the source end right now I'm happy to wait and still enjoy soemthing much better than I've had before with the Planet.

I also tried a NAD319 amp but that didn't have the detail/resolation/interest of the Naim.

I also tried a pair of Mirage OM10's (omnipolars).
They filled the room with incredible sweet sound and went way down low. However, after some listening I figured it was like really high quality piped music and there was no sense of listening to a performance. Also not very spouse friendly on looks!

BTW - I put a post on the Royd forum about serial numbers and driver upgrades but no replies as yet.

Question: where are all the 92/90 combos - nothing on the Systems Analysis replies - is it really such an entry level system that everyone avoids it?

Cheers, RR

Posted on: 17 October 2000 by Bas V
I for one have a 92/90 combo. It says so on the systems analysis for sure (page 5 I think).

Regards Bas

Posted on: 17 October 2000 by Mike Hanson
Yes, I saw your post, but I didn't have the specific serial numbers (and your question was quite specific ). Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Posted on: 22 October 2000 by Roger Ridley
quote:
The 102 is significantly better than the 92. Could you stretch to that?

I stretched to the 92/90. Maybe next time.

Cheers, RR