Ella Fitzgerald

Posted by: John on 20 December 2000

Any Ella fans out there? I purchased her Ella and Louis CD and very mch like her voice. Are there any recordings that are bluesy? I am not as fond of the ballad and orchestration types of music.

Thanks
John

Posted on: 26 December 2000 by Markus
I certainly agree with the recommendation regarding "Let no man write my epitaph"... A unique and wonderful Ella album. Also released on cd as "The Intimate Ella" Verve 839 838-2.

I also recommend "Ella Fitzgerald sings the Johnny Mercer songbook" and "Clap Hands here comes Charlie". The Clap Hands album also happens to be an audiophile favorite which I did not know at the time I first picked it up. I just happened to love her version of "Cry me a river"...

Posted on: 11 January 2001 by ken c
i am ashamed i dont know about "Let no man write my epitaph". i will definitely chek this out.

i do love "Clap hands.... " though. fabulous album.

one of my favourite ella albums are the "ella and louis" series on verve ... i have 3 of them -- great stuff. and of course there is "ella at dukes place"

enjoy...

ken

Posted on: 12 January 2001 by woodface
As much as I respect Ella as a singer I would never consider her bluesy! Her voice is perhaps a bit too sweet and dare i say it 'girly' for it to be so. If you want raw emotion and intensity check out Billie Holiday. Please accept my humble apologies if you already have as this post could look cringingly patronising!!