Naim Speaker Cable Question

Posted by: Will on 22 September 2000

Hi all.
I recently purchased some used Naim speaker cable. I was told it was the most recent version, but now I am not so sure. The cable that I bought is all black, with terminations soldered on by the local Naim dealer in Seattle. The lettering on the cable only says "Naim", and doesn't have the model number.

I recently saw a picture of the latest cable, and it was white. Does this mean that my cable is the older cable, or is the new cable available in black as well? Is there an easy way to tell which version my cable is?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 22 September 2000 by Mike Hanson
Naim's NAC A5 comes in both colors. Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Smilies do not a forum make.

Posted on: 22 September 2000 by Bob Edwards
Will--

If you bought it from the local Seattle dealer (Hawthorne Stereo) I would have total confidence it is the latest version if that is what they told you. They are a great store.

Also--as Mike correctly points out it is available in black or white.

Cheers,

Bob

Posted on: 22 September 2000 by Will
Thanks for all of your replies. I guess I wasn't too clear in my original post. I bought the cable second hand from someone who bought it new from Hawthorne stereo in Seattle. So Hawthorne in no way had anything to do with any misrepresentation made by the person from whom I bought the cable.

So, I guess I could more clearly state my question as-- is there any way to definitively tell whether I have the new or the old cable?

Thanks again.

Posted on: 22 September 2000 by Paul B
Will:

NACA5 is very stiff and inflexible. I do not believe it says NACA5 on the cable just Naim Audio. I had a quick look at mine and only found Naim Audio. The earlier NACA4 was quite flexible - similar to Linn cable if you have ever seen it.

If still in doubt, take it to Hawthorne and ask them to look at it or go over there and ask to see NACA5. They have it all over the place.

Paul

Posted on: 24 September 2000 by bob atherton
OK, For all you anoraks out there. I heard a rumour recently, from a fairly relaible source that the black cable is slightly better than the white.

Apparently it has something to do with graphite used in the black colouring. Don't know if it's true though.

Bob

very happy with my black NACA5 ;-)

Posted on: 24 September 2000 by Mike Hanson
Your dealer is wrong! The direction of the cable is caused by the application of the insulation on the cable, and it stays that way for life. You can't change it by running it the other direction.

There's a simple test: try it both ways. If you like it better one way versus the other, then that's the "right" way. Either way, the differences caused by the directionality of cables is very small compared to countless other factors. Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Smilies do not a forum make.

Posted on: 25 September 2000 by Mark Packer
Mike H. says that the directionality is a result of the sheathing as fitted onto the cable. I have no problem with that, I remember JV said as much on the old forum.

However, I can't remember which way this works:

1. the wire comes off the mill, from left to right (forwards);

2. the sheath is applied right to left as the wire passes through the sheathing process (backwards);

3. the wire is wound onto a reel left to right as it comes off the sheathing process (forwards);

4. I take the wire off the reel right to left to make up a cable (backwards).

So which, assuming the above is correct, is the directionality of the wire, the direction the wire is drawn or the direction that the sheath is applied?

Does this hold good for all sheathed wire?

Help appreciated... (A.N. Naim-type-Person?)

regards,

MarkĘ