Music Of The Week (Sunday 19 Nov 2000)

Posted by: Andrew Randle on 19 November 2000

Here is my one and only purchase and contribution for this week.

Leggo Beast - From Here to G. More "Ambient Grove", I'm really getting into this stuff... (re: Fila Brazilia and Tosca). Get your active NBLs/DBLs stoned on this one.

Andrew

Andrew Randle
2B || !2B;
4 ^ = ?;

Posted on: 20 November 2000 by woodface
You have all basically got to buy this album, it is an absolute stormer and you will not hear better this year! It's a bit Macy Gray in style althogh JS has a better voice and the whole thing is more hard hitting. If you do not like this album please do one of the following money saving things before you next upgrade: 1) have your ears syringed 2) junk all your naim gear and buy something by Alba as your musical taste is not up to your stereo! I also bought Baduism by Eryka Badu, this was released three years ago, it's a very fine album but is eclipsed by JS.
Posted on: 20 November 2000 by Rico
Black Box Recorder - The facts of life thankfully this was a 'backup' copy. I've tried it three times, and now post about the experience here in fear, as I might be reported to the SPOCK**. Ok, a number of witty digs at life in England, and a stolen Bob Dylan hook to grab your attention. Kind of clever, even. But as for listening to the whole thing?... or am i missing something here? Standout track: 'The English Motorway System.

** Society for Prevention Of Cruelty to Kans.

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 20 November 2000 by Tony L
Larmousse 'Larmousse' - Another fine piece of post rock on the City Slang label. Larmousse produce lengthy songs, the shortest of the four on this album weighs in at about eight minutes, the style is guitar driven, and on the whole quite chilled. The four tracks definitely bare resemblance to songs in a traditional sense, this album has little to do with the flowing soundscapes of GBYE or Mogwai, there are vocals too. Good stuff, and recommended to anyone who likes the current crop of post rock.

Dead Cowboys - 'Comings and goings' - Unashamed plug for some of my mates. Sort of country punk stuff, think Johny Cash at his darkest playing a Fall song. Plenty of seriously twanged guitar to be had, and apparently a great review in Mojo this month. Not the greatest recording quality by one of the three studio venues used, ironically the home recorded stuff sounds better! http://www.the-viper-label.co.uk/deadcowboys.html

Gigs: Julian Cope last Monday - the man is as mad as a fish, seriously good entertainment. Played mostly solo, occasionally with very stripped down accompaniment. Cope cracks me up.

Thea Gilmore Manchester Hi-Fi show yesterday. Stripped down acoustic set, just her and another guitarist. I was far more impressed by her in this context than I have been with anything I have heard off the album, and funnily the songs that worked the best were just Thea playing on her own. In this context it is very obvious she has a lot of potential and song writing skill, though personally I don't feel her recorded output allows it to shine. For the next album she should just be locked in a room with her guitar and a decent Neumann mic, keep the session musos (or at least that’s what they sound like) away! A surprisingly enjoyable gig.

Dave Cattlin did the sound for Thea, and I could tell he was dying to put a big metal saucepan nest to her and shout "see not as good, ferrous metal stuffs things up…". Go on Dave, see if its as good with wooden guitar strings…

The rest of the show was a little flat, I still love the little Exposure integrated, and Naim still can't get their DBLs to sound remotely as good as Jawed's despite a ten grand power amp! (keep trying guys).

Tony.

[This message was edited by Tony Lonorgan on MONDAY 20 November 2000 at 16:50.]

Posted on: 20 November 2000 by Allan Probin
quote:
Naim still can't get their DBLs to sound remotely as good as Jawed's despite a ten grand power amp!

Tony, you weren't in the DBL room were you when I asked Doug to play 'New York' from U2's new album 'All that you can't leave' behind ?

Curiously, when the track finished Doug announced rather loudly for the benefit of everyone else - 'You would pick the worst track off the album'. Not sure whether this was meant to be humourous (though I don't see how) or an apology for the equipment !

Allan

Posted on: 21 November 2000 by Tony L
quote:
Tony, you weren't in the DBL room were you when I asked Doug to play 'New York' from U2's new album 'All that you can't leave' behind ?

No, I missed that. I spent very little time at the show, and the time I did I wanted to hear stuff that was new to me. I heard a Who track when I first put my head through the door, and a track from Thea Gilmore's album later when they were packing up.

The only kit that remotely impressed me was the Exposure / Vanderstein system - unbelievable bang per buck, and sounding way better than it did at Hammersmith.

There was also a Copeland CD / Densen integrated / Shahinian Arc system that was just plonked down pretty much anywhere in the Audio Council second hand / ex dem room that almost worked, gave me an indication that the speakers certainly have potential. Sounded far too boxy and shut in though.

Tony.

Posted on: 21 November 2000 by Doug Graham
Firstly, Allan no apology for the system as the general consensus is that the DBL system was good so if you didn't quite get it then better luck next time and secondly Tony the Copland,Densen Shahinian system that you refere to was one of The Audio Counsels "mistakes" (quote) so if you liked that well....

Anyway, thought that this was a music forum.

Regards

Doug

quote:
Tony the Copland,Densen Shahinian system that you refere to was one of The Audio Counsels "mistakes" (quote) so if you liked that well....

I was trying to be diplomatic as I respect the Audio Council guys, ok it sounded like shite, but I could tell the speakers were good.

Now at 30 grand more whats your excuse?

Tony.

quote:
Shame you missed it Tony.

I spent a couple of minutes in the Audio Counsel room with the three systems (Rotel / Rega / Naim), I did not bother listening to the whole dem (as obviously I know what you get at each level), but I did hear the Naim system. It sounded quite good.

I spent far less time in the hi-fi rooms than I expected as I was distracted by Thea Gilmore - I was not expecting to stay for the whole of her set, but it was well worth doing so.

quote:
How's about this weekend?

Mail me

Have done.

Tony.

Posted on: 21 November 2000 by Mike Cole
"It's a bit Macy Gray in style althogh JS has a better voice and the whole thing is more hard hitting. "

I dunno woodface. I guess our musical tastes differ but I just listened to a few snips of this and, compared to Macy Gray, this is wimpy as hell. What exactly do you mean by "more hard hitting"? Do you mean that musically or lyrically? I just listened to MC on my Naim system and my car system and it kicks. Maybe you just need to turn up the volume

Mike

Posted on: 21 November 2000 by woodface
Mike, don't get me wrong I really like Macy Gray - her album really reminds me of New York as thats where I bought it. To be honest, if you like Macy you should love the Jill Scott album - trust me! When I say harder hitting I mean that it is a bit more R&B/Gospel/Rap/Street where Macy is a bit more poppy. It is a very long album though, I have it on double vinyl and each side has 5 or so tracks as opposed to the annoying trend of putting 3 tracks on each side! Because of this a quick skim through does not do it justice. It is truly stunning and if you don't like you really have to ask yourself whether you actually like music!!!
Posted on: 21 November 2000 by glenda
Sorry to disagree , Rico , but the album is a work of genius , it's just so unconventional that some people cannot get their brains around it .I agree that "The English Motorway System " is the best track but is it about driving or does it have a subtle sexual sub text ? If it's the latter , it's way too subtle for me .Yours in music. Tony.
Posted on: 22 November 2000 by John C
Now that Im here... David Murray at Queen Elizabeth Hall last Thursday. Is this the worst jazz venue soundwise, atmosphere (ha!) anywhere? Anyway woundrous music with pile driving rhythmn section and the man himself in great form. He plays tenor like a middle weight boxer. All the music was from Octet plays Coltrane. Also bought the CD. Dare I say it best of the year. Great reinterpretation of Coltrane especially Naima and Love Supreme. Just two of the highlights the bass clarinet playing of Murray and the ensemble arrangements. For me they sound positively Mingusian but Im a musical illiterate. Essential.
Posted on: 23 November 2000 by Rico
Tony

Re Black Box Recorder, I guess I'll have to apply the formula t+sbms="get your head around it"**, and see what comes out the other side!

**where t = time, and sbms = suitable brain moulding substance.

Just got:

Stina Nordenstam - And she closed her eyes after the mentions in Pop Quiz II and gave it a spin yesterday... I kinda like it, which is not bad for a first play I guess. Perhaps on the shelf below Brilliant Trees, though.

Underworld - dubnobasswithmyheadman not quite what I expected, reckoned Beaucoup Fish to be better... this seems more chilled. Ok, a little out of my depth here (no guitars, right ), but likely to become a commuting favourite.

Santana - Caravanserai More mentally challenging than Abraxas... great percussion, and more of Santana's guitar (just what ya need). On the more fusion side of their output, I think.

Rico - musichead